Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Du Mhan Yhu

Would you guys ever try this?

Skewed reporting deliberately designed to get the "eeewww" factor.

Proteins from microbes grown on various types of waste have been used for a variety of purposes for some time now. It's not "feces steak". It is protein from the bacteria that use waste as their food source.

and amusingly...

skaman86 said:

I would become a hard-core vegetarian if this were to catch on as a primary food source.

one of the uses of such protein is to make vegitarian-friendly meat substitutes. ;)

Enjay said:

one of the uses of such protein is to make vegitarian-friendly meat substitutes. ;)

Im talking greens and vegies.

Technically we eat shit all the time. For instance, when you fart, millions of microscopic particles of feces are expelled into the atmosphere, which are then breathed in and swallowed by yourself and others around you.

What a pleasant topic.

Cheese isn't made of shit though. I like cheese very much. It's the fact that human waste is involved in the processing of something "edible" that makes me cringe.

I would become a hard-core vegetarian if this were to catch on as a primary food source.

For your sake, I hope you never find out how much of the water we use is recycled.

Phml said:

For your sake, I hope you never find out how much of the water we use is recycled.

I understand that, water is vital though. Meat and meat made from shit is not.

skaman86 said:

Cheese isn't made of shit though. I like cheese very much.

Neither is this. Cheese is the end result of bacterial cultures consuming fermented milk and excrement the curds. This is the same, it bacteria breaking down wast into usable protein. Your body, is doing the exact same thing in your bowl. Do you not know how life recycles proteins? They don't just fabricate themselves, they are literally reused from dead organisms, literally, re-used multiple times before it hits your gut.

Quit reading sensationalist journalism and get a clue.

Technician said:

Neither is this. Cheese is the end result of bacterial cultures consuming fermented milk and excrement the curds. This is the same, it bacteria breaking down wast into usable protein. Your body, is doing the exact same thing in your bowl. Do you not know how life recycles proteins? They don't just fabricate themselves, they are literally reused from dead organisms, literally, re-used multiple times before it hits your gut.

Quit reading sensationalist journalism and get a clue.

Bottom line. The whole thing is nasty. While cheese may be made that way, it is not made in your "bowl" or BOWEL.

I thought you were saying "I'll become a vegetarian because they can make beef-like food without killing an animal", not "Eew that's gross get it away"

The point is, "shit steak" isn't made in your bowel, either. It's just sensationalist reporting. Oh, and the creation of cheese involves bacteria found in cow stomachs, so it is similar to the process of creating "shit steak."

I'll stick with legumes, eggs, and small quantities of seeds, nuts, fish and real meat. I like cheese and yoghurt too, even though they're made with bacteria. There's bacteria in my intestines too. I'm cool with all that. But I'm not crazy about the idea of eating processed waste. At least the city water I can easily filter and test myself (have to anyway, because it's full of sediments, chlorine and other crap). It's not as easy to verify that the meatshit was correctly prepared.

skaman86 said:

It's the fact that human waste is involved in the processing of something "edible" that makes me cringe.

What about fertilizer? :-p

And...HOLY SHIT DID YOU KNOW THAT EGGS COME OUT OF THE HEN'S ASSHOLE?!

Damn Maes... I get it, there are alot of "ways" food is produced. But eating food made from human waste.. None of you find this weird and disgusting at all?

Can you people honestly say you would be alright with eating this?

skaman86 said:

Damn Maes... I get it, there are alot of "ways" food is produced. But eating food made from human waste.. None of you find this weird and disgusting at all?

Can you honestly say you people would be alright with eating this?

Yeah, because your going to be making a nice shit sandwich with this. You're not eating shit! Bacteria eats the shit and leaves edible protein. The protein is then made into some kind of solid to add to foodstuffs. The use of this protein will be similar to how they use soya as an additive to foods that are intended to have high protein.

You eat protein like this every day. The difference is it has been through less digestive tracks to get to your plate.

skaman86 said:

Im talking greens and vegies.

Grown in soil laced with an interesting mix of rotted plant matter, processed waste from the local abattoir, petroleum by-products and guano (aka - bird shit).

I think a lot of people would prefer not to know where their food came from.

It'll be fun to see the new McD's menu when they get ahold of this shit.