Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

Will that still allow powerups if just the default monsters spawn? I admit that it would still be very handy for those crazy-high monster count maps. (Especially Sunder's furnace map, I forgot which number it was)

gun_psycho said:

Will that still allow powerups if just the default monsters spawn? I admit that it would still be very handy for those crazy-high monster count maps. (Especially Sunder's furnace map, I forgot which number it was)

Yep, powerups still get dropped.

Ok, I'll look for a last few megawads to make a part of the official high-score board before the update comes out.

gun_psycho said:

Ok, I'll look for a last few megawads to make a part of the official high-score board before the update comes out.

I'll be adding plutonia revisted for sure, as well as some of the others mentioned before in the thread/PMs by people.

Just got done with testing. MAP30 of SOD still lags a lot even with just cyb/vile/spidmaster replacements initially when using the nuke alt-fire, though the map was still completable, unlike before. So I added another (!) sdcustom.ini setting that is used only in conjunction with using [DefaultMonsterMaps]. By default this turns off replacement of *all* monsters when using DefaultMonsterMaps (making MAP30 of SOD even faster). You can disable it, so when using DefaultMonsterMaps, only cybs/viles and spidmasters will have replacements :P.

(confused?). The feature is probably overkill in general, but I can see myself playing with it, especially for wads like SOD & Sunder that have a real mix of maps. The nice thing is that its all in sdcustom.ini so multiplayer games/demos are supported as long as you provide the sdcustom.ini to other players/demo-viewers.

Going to be offline for a little while, but hope to start working on it again later in the month. The add-on pack adjustments/testing and updates to the hi score server database for new add-on pack & new wads are just so tedious. And much of the add-on pack work I will replicate for the SDST add-on pack, ugh.

Well, the chance to at least beat Speed of Doom properly will be music to my ears. (Then again, the people having options to fight against only the default monsters on certain maps will definitely get more people into playing this mod.)

Edit: I know Map28 of SOD will still be a bit of a problem because of the massive lag spike at the center of the map.

gun_psycho said:

Edit: I know Map28 of SOD will still be a bit of a problem because of the massive lag spike at the center of the map.

Haven't played through map28 properly yet, sounds a bit like map10 of Sunder, where its the architecture of the map itself that causes lag.
But setting default monsters for map28 as well will definitely help performance.

Megamur said (in another thead):

...You know, it would be really cool (though a pain to implement) if you could add limited lives to use in conjunction with the "spawn where died" flag, and then get extra lives from getting enough points, just like a real arcade game. Not saying you should do that, but the idea crossed my mind.

"spawn where died" was a co-op change, where lives would not make so much sense. Death in co-op comes with a points penalty instead. Maybe making the points penalty for co-op death scale dependent on the amount of monsters/items/secrets/barrels within a level makes some sense. Since now it is -1000 points. but for large levels more chance of dying so maybe will keep it as is? I think the end of level 100% completion bonuses should definitely scale.

Going to probably add another co-op enhancement, which will be great for wads like Sunder where a player can get locked into an area. Using zdoom/skulltag's spycam , you will be able to bind a command to a key that will allow you to warp to the player you are spying on (either in-front or behind), if the dmflags are set up for it. No need to activate sv_cheats for the co-op game either.
I could see this being abused by griefers, so probably best only for friends.

Phew, the tedious add-on pack work is virtually done for SD & SDST. I removed invulnerability states for all SD 3.0 'official' custom replacements. Though some monsters that were officially in 2.9g (like the Hell Warrior, Death Knight), but not officially in 3.0, are still usable, but invulnerability states were left for them. Added more DECORATE fixes/tweaks, (like removing notarget flags on monsters that shouldnt have them), more balancing, etc., etc., etc..

All monsters (including the old boss-chains) in 2.9g are still in the add-on pack and still usable in 3. There are 6 new monsters in SD3. 5 were able to be ported into SDST as well. The new 'official' replacements are much more doom-like, and straight rips from other games (afaik) are all gone. You will still find a few re-skins of rips from other games though :P, but overall there is nothing that should feel too out of place.

The most time though was spent adding & compiling complete GLDEFS for the SD3.0 add-on pack (this took a f**king loooooong time). I'm hoping to allow the gldefs to be usable with hi score server in SD3 as well.

All this dynamic light goodness is compatible with SD2.9g & its add-on pack, so I uploaded a teaser, along with a beta 3.0 sdcustom.ini file, for anyone interested to check out.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20483200/sdcustom_3teaser.rar

There are a few minor add-on pack tweaks left, then a little coding, like adding weighted bonuses for 100% completion feats. So for instance, getting 100% kills on a level with say 10 monsters may give 100 bonus points, but getting 100% on a level with 100 monsters may give 1000 points, etc., instead of 100 across the board. (In SDST the bonuses go to the player with the most kills, etc.)

Oh yeah, and I will be moving to a better host. I'm thinking about archiving the current hi score tables, and keeping them viewable, but having new tables for SD3. I'm thinking that your scores from the archived tables will still be used in calculating your total hi score leaderboard status, along with your scores in the SD3 boards, so your points will not be lost.
The main reason for new boards, is that hi scores with the add-on pack will be all out of whack due to the changes in SD3, but normal hi scores will be fine. Not sure what to do yet.

EDIT: SD3 will have whole new hi score tables, due to the new bonus changes across the board regardless of add-on pack :P

Well, I'll definitely wait for 3.0's full release. (I know that means that I'll have to do Hell Revealed all over again, but at least I know now that it won't be as hard with the much more unfair enemies (like the chaos wyvern for one) out of the equation.

ETA, will be early July. Ironically, I also spent some time enhancing gzscoredoom co-op, since after talking to the skulltag team, some wads like DV2 simply will require too much work to get working in SDST multiplayer, due to voodoo doll behavior with client joining. So I added features from sdst into sd co-op, for wads like these.

Add-on pack play will now feel more like Doom, hopefully, and leave less to chance. The sentry and dark servant are gone (though still addable). All that's left now is to tweak/juxtapose replacements for 3.0, and maybe tweak powerup drop rate, as in 3.0, I would say that it is marginally more easier, as it stands.

Then I need to add some code for the hi score server to accommodate the new sd add-on gldefs pk3, so it can be optionally usable (and not throw up that annoying purple text!).

Finally I will migrate the hi score server (php+mysql)& site to the new host, then I will release.

I will be adding PRCP.wad, vanguard, the new russian and pcorfs community wads, and heroes.

EDIT: Also need to mention the new scoring system. items & barrels are now 10 points each, instead of 5. 100% bonuses ('most' bonuses in sd & sdst co-op), now ramp up based on the map quantity. 100% bonuses are now monsterskilled*10, itemsfound*10, etc... The min bonus is 100 points. So grabbing all items will be much more rewarding, typically, same with going for barrels.

Will the soulspheres, megaspheres, and blurspheres spawned in the monster spots not count as part of the items needed for 100% completion? If so, it's very likely possible that they'll spawn in teleport closets, locking the players out of 100%-ing items for those levels.

gun_psycho said:

Will the soulspheres, megaspheres, and blurspheres spawned in the monster spots not count as part of the items needed for 100% completion? If so, it's very likely possible that they'll spawn in teleport closets, locking the players out of 100%-ing items for those levels.

good call, any extra powerups, will not count as items then :-)
I always forget to fix this.

Ok, I'll update that add-on pack beastiary guide once the new version comes out.

Btw, be sure to pm me on the new boss chain order on each of the three end boss enemies when you can.

Migrated to the new host. Wow, proper web hosting just for a few dollars more, you definitely get what you pay for!

2.9g hi score tables are on the new host, so in options->scoredoom setup, change hiscore server url to 'http://www.scoredoom.com'

They will be archived when 3.0 is out.

I also added something that people requested in the past, 2nd and 3rd place positions in the leaderboards.
So for both wad & level leaderboards, the hi score holder will have blinged out gold score & large font, but there will also be 2nd and 3rd place positions with silver & bronze scores.
So if you are having a hard time beating The GreenHerring's or gun_psycho's hi score, you can at least get your name up there, if you came close. In-game within the client, only the wad & level hi score holder will be seen, but in 3.0, it will be revealed at the intermission/finale, if you have at least gotten a silver or bronze hi score, even if you hadn't beaten the hi score.

It'll be interesting to see the kind of monster changes made in the add-on pack. I look forward to it. :D

@Nems - If I recall, the kill chain-breaking monsters such as the Trickster and the Poe are gone. (Especially the damn tornado demon... and good riddance, too)

Also, bosses that normally have invulnerability states are now hittable again, which is extremely helpful. Take those two things as a big clue to the add-on pack's improvements. (need I mention the option to play against the default monsters on certain maps?)

Nems said:

It'll be interesting to see the kind of monster changes made in the add-on pack. I look forward to it. :D

That's the last thing I'm working on now, and its nearly finished. Like I mentioned, anything too out-of-doom has been removed, but there are other refinements, like the replacements tend to match their replaced monster better. Extra Powerup and health drop rates have been decreased somewhat, but powerups are leaner and meaner. So nothing that slows down gameplay like the timefreezer, sentry & maulator are used.
I would say that the 'official'/default add-on pack in 3.0 is more doom-like and harder than in 2.9g, without the annoyances like the trickster and tornado demon, and hopefully very hard wads, shouldn't become very easy, due to the monster density clumping together too many powerups.

I also added another dmflag 'Aggressive Bosses', that makes all barons, cyberdemons, spider masterminds and their replacements more aggressive (just forces +MISSILEMORE+MISSILEEVENMORE). This should make boss chains more challenging in sp/co-op.

The 2.9g hi score tables are archived, so I'm planning for a release hopefully by tomorrow.

EDIT: At least for now, I will not be combining 2.9g online hi scores with hi scores in 3.0. You can view the archived 2.9g tables though off the main hi score page.

I was actually pretty good with using the timefreezer properly, whether it was for berserking certain boss demons or rail-sniping rows of enemies. (or in certain cases, setting up nuke missile shots while getting enough time to hide from the blast radius) Also, the sentry turrets did have their uses. The maulotaur on the other hand, other than just being a distraction, was absolutely useless, so I'm not exactly sad to see it disabled. Then again, the loss of those three powerups do balance out those stupidly-annoying enemies (That tornado demon that I got really sick of since it was first introduced as a hell knight replacement for instance)

I do appreciate the powerups being "leaner and meaner" (whatever you mean by that), though I'm sure they'll still likely spawn in out-of-reach areas. Also, some of the more out-of-Doom enemies killed me a little too quickly, so I don't mind their absence in 3.0 at all. (Blood Lich, Chaos Wyvern, the Inquisitor Bot... let's just say the list goes on and on.)

All in all, I definitely will enjoy 3.0 when it finally comes out.

Will there by any chance be a list of the powerups and monsters that aren't used anymore but are still included in the addon pack (and maybe what doom monster each "removed" addon monster most closely replaces)? I know having a list of unused but included stuff has been mentioned before but I don't think one was ever released.

@sector666: There are a few that never really got used. A good one to add as a replacement is MadBarrel (& InvisibleBarrelLol). They are barrels that chase you down and explode on you :P
Really you can take a look at the 2.9g sdcustom.ini and combine it with anything new in the 3.0 sdcustom.ini. There are like 6 new monsters in 3.0.
Besides that, at the top of my head, ones that never got used properly, besides the madbarrels would be (from a text editor search of the raw sd-addonpack.wad):
IgnisLocus, munchkin, juggernaut, bonedragon, teslacoil, swarm. Other ones, like the hangman & cheshire, I never got working properly.
I will probably post a reference sdcustom.ini with everything worthwhile in it, powerups and all.

@gun_psycho: The maulator has been beefed up a bit, yet 'use item' powerups are now removed by default, but you can of course re-add them in the sdcustom.ini for your own games.
With the timefreezer, I agree it is cool, but I found that it did mess with the flow & chains sometimes, especially when some monsters still block after they are killed while timefreeze is active (probably fixed with decorate edits, that I'm not going to do). I am sort of ambivalent about removing it. If I ever need to edit the add-on pack for a patch release, I can always re-add it for the default settings, if it is missed too much :P The high jump power-up is going too, but I'm not sure about the speed artifact. thoughts?

The hi-jump powerup was very necessary for that horrid map06 of the first Community Chest megawad imo. Other than that, it isn't really all that useful.

Edit: Mind sending me a list of the monsters that will be cut from the newest edition of the addon pack ini file?

gun_psycho said:

The hi-jump powerup was very necessary for that horrid map06 of the first Community Chest megawad imo. Other than that, it isn't really all that useful.

Edit: Mind sending me a list of the monsters that will be cut from the newest edition of the addon pack ini file?

Thanks for the feedback.

I havent played map 6 of community chest 1, but I see it is completable on youtube w.o. high jump boots ;-) Why do you refer to this map out of curiosity? Granted, the high jump boots are good for grabbing out of reach powerups, but even if I left them in as default, there is the chance they may not spawn on that level this time around. Also they are redundant due to mapinfo settings in many newer wads that disallow jumping.

As far the list of monsters cut, you'll have to wait and see (just too busy to be bothered with compiling a definitive list), but at the top of my head, all the ones you mentioned in a previous post are gone as well, as well as the hooded enemies from the thrall to the thor (avatar is still in though), the sentinel, flame wyvern as well, and a few redundant zombie enemies that have better alternatives, among others mentioned.

Anyways, PRCP, vanguard, whitemare, Heroes' Tales & PC_CP.wad have just been added to the hi score server. PC_CP.wad provided an interesting challenge, in that it uses mapinfo episodes, so I had to do some hi score server hacking (ahem, alterations) to support both episodes. Whitemare uses the new mapinfo format, so I will need to provide a download url for the SD version, like I did for some other wads.
Also SDST will have a new master server address, that I hope to keep up most of the time.

So basically there is a little bit more play testing tomorrow with the add-on pack, some small final code changes, and hopefully tomorrow it will be released.

Map06 of the first CC megawad... apparently didn't have very many fans. Oh, and will there be an option of having monsters drop the powerups upon death? (That's so they aren't stuck in those teleport closets outside the main map)

Speaking of the hooded enemies, are the ones with guns cut, too? I didn't mind those much, actually.

gun_psycho said:

Map06 of the first CC megawad... apparently didn't have very many fans. Oh, and will there be an option of having monsters drop the powerups upon death? (That's so they aren't stuck in those teleport closets outside the main map)

Speaking of the hooded enemies, are the ones with guns cut, too? I didn't mind those much, actually.

Yeah, I read that on youtube. The dune warrior zombie dude is still in :-). I changed his voice to be that of a zombie soldier, which coaxed me to keep him in.

I hear you about monster closets, and SD used to drop powerups upon death in initial versions. I cant remember exactly why I changed it, but it was for a good reason (! ?:P). No for this version, drops will be upon spawn still. None of the drops count towards item count anymore, so no worries there at least.

Just need to write up the release notes, and upload now. Will back up the 2.9g hi score tables again, since there has been a lot of activity. I've decided to keep the non add-on pack scores as they are in 3, but add-on pack scores will be wiped, so you may notice some changes in the leaderboards for the time being at the start. The non add-on pack 2.9g scores left in 3.0 should be easily beat, due to the new 100% bonus rewards and items + barrels being 10 points vs 5pts.

BilboHicks said:

The high jump power-up is going too, but I'm not sure about the speed artifact. thoughts?

Speed can be useful. I'd prefer to have it in, myself. I kind of like time freezer too. Maybe time slow-down, where everything goes to half or one quarter speed, would avoid the "dead monsters still blocking" problem that time freeze has. I'm guessing a slowdown powerup would be too much trouble to set up though. Or would something like that just be a matter of changing some kind of variable to affect the monsters/projectiles speed? The fact that time freezer gradually speeds back up when it ends might mean there's a simple way of affecting the monster/projectile speed?

BTW I've been wondering why you can't just use the same addon pack for both SD and SDST? I'm sure there must be a good reason or you wouldn't be going to all the trouble to set up two separate packs.

Oh and I like that monsters-drop-powerups idea gun_psycho had too. If there's ever another SD version after 3.0 that could be a nice option.

sector666 said:

Speed can be useful. I'd prefer to have it in, myself. I kind of like time freezer too. Maybe time slow-down, where everything goes to half or one quarter speed, would avoid the "dead monsters still blocking" problem that time freeze has. I'm guessing a slowdown powerup would be too much trouble to set up though. Or would something like that just be a matter of changing some kind of variable to affect the monsters/projectiles speed? The fact that time freezer gradually speeds back up when it ends might mean there's a simple way of affecting the monster/projectile speed?

BTW I've been wondering why you can't just use the same addon pack for both SD and SDST? I'm sure there must be a good reason or you wouldn't be going to all the trouble to set up two separate packs.

Oh and I like that monsters-drop-powerups idea gun_psycho had too. If there's ever another SD version after 3.0 that could be a nice option.

For the hi score server, speed is also out with the timefreezer, etc. Though, of course, you can simply just re-add them to to sdcustom.ini for your own hi scores/co-op games.

Since there seems to be a consensus with having the drops @ kill instead of spawn, I'll note that if I start work on another version.
SDST does the drops @ kill, but I remember trying to 'fix' it to drop @ spawn, hmmn, I honestly do remember there was a good reason for it :P

Anyways, with the 2 add-on packs, its due to differences in the engines and what decorate is supported. I found it easier initially to convert the sd addonpack decorate pretty much into it's own sdst version, as well as making some code additions to the ST0.97c2 source code to support client-server decorate calls in the pack like a_spawnitemex, etc.

Talking about SDST add-on pack, some custom monster animations still get out of synch with the clients, but the server still controls the important decorate state-shifts, so that's not a huge biggy for me. Since importantly, a monster moves where it should, shoots when it should and dies when it should to all clients, but the in-between animations and noises may be off to the clients. Its a trade off, since this will not be fixed by me :P

EDIT: Phew, all uploaded and done with. SD3.0 & SDST 0.97c2R5 is out! :-)

One last question: What were the two major exploits that were fixed? It definitely isn't that I would even bother to use them, I'm just making sure. (I got beating the clock as enough motivation to reach the end of each level, gathering as much items and secrets as possible as well as trying to kill every single enemy if I can; all of those feats, done under the par time)

gun_psycho said:

One last question: What were the two major exploits that were fixed? It definitely isn't that I would even bother to use them, I'm just making sure. (I got beating the clock as enough motivation to reach the end of each level, gathering as much items and secrets as possible as well as trying to kill every single enemy if I can; all of those feats, done under the par time)

sure, they are fixed now aren't they, so I can mention them :-)

SD forces dmflags & dmflags2 to 0 when using online hi scoring, except when it detects a mapinfo lump that sets them (like no jumping). The first bug allowed you, in certain circumstances to enter a game, then go back to the gameplay options and play with altered dmflags (like infinite ammo) when loading a save game.

The second bug, again with online hi scoring, was when you saved a game in no-infighting, you could then actually load it in a hardcore-no-infighting game, thus breaking the purpose of hardcore no-saves during levels :P.

Ok, it seems like every time I try to clean out a level of enemies, I'm ALWAYS one enemy short of 100%. I really don't know exactly what triggers that.