Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silikone

Ultimate Doom 3 2004 benchmark?

I've looked around for benchmarks from 2004, and none of them seem to crank Doom 3 up to the ultimate settings. As a fanboy, I'm curious to see the best possible results from playing at 1600x1200 with settings on ultra and 16x AA.
I can imagine that a system like this would do the job:
-NVIDIA 6800 Ultra SLI
-High-end Athlon/Pentium 4.
-Preferably 2 GB of RAM, if 1 isn't enough.
-A bit overclocking here and there
-Everything else, like SATA HDDs.

Sorry for anecdotes lacking hard data, but I remember reading even back then that no existing system could smoothly run the game at those settings. Even on my fairly modern system (couple of years old) it's not totally perfect, with hitches here and there.

Doom 3 specs are the craziest out there apart from crysis it still holds up today in my opinion albeit because it focuses on monster design as oppose to large open spaces like the UT3 or crytech 2 engine.

HippyJonny said:

Doom 3 specs are the craziest out there apart from crysis

what

My old Radeon x1300 could play Doom 3 on high settings and still get 30-40FPS. Doom 3's requirements are nowhere near Crysis' and they certainly aren't very demanding at all anymore.

Silikone said:

run doom 3 @ highest possible settings w/ stupid amounts of AA on a circa 2004 rig?

No. Some people claim to be able to run it like that on a modern system, but I'm too lazy to search youtube for a HD video which might prove it better. It's that anti-aliasing that's going to cause most computers to melt. Even for an old game.

My shitty new laptop can play Doom 3 at near max settings with its dinky little integrated Intel GPU, so yeah, not that crazy anymore. The only thing I can't raise without a performance drop is the anti-aliasing.

DoomUK said:

No. Some people claim to be able to run it like that on a modern system, but I'm too lazy to search youtube for a HD video which might prove it better. It's that anti-aliasing that's going to cause most computers to melt. Even for an old game.

I have Doom 3 maxed out, including Anti-Aliasing on a GTX 460 and I get an average of 60 fps.

Marnetmar said:

I have Doom 3 maxed out, including Anti-Aliasing on a GTX 460 and I get an average of 60 fps.

Yeah, 16x or 32x?

I think you'd have to force it through your video drivers.

But oh well. I would have thought stupid amounts of AA would have still taken its toll on the framerate. But if you say you can run it like that then I believe you. Any hey, I'm still playing with a Socket939/8800GT setup, so what do I know? :p

It's a 2004 game, so I'd certainly hope an 8800GT would be able to run it. My question now is... at what point does increasing AA become pointless? I've honestly never seen AA offered at more than 8X, and everything under that setting looks fine and smoothed out at that point. Then again I'm running on a 17" 5:4 monitor so I don't have a massive screenspace to view to see any of these supposed graphical letdowns via lower/no AA, so meh.

Of course, there's always Crysis and Crysis 2 (after the DX11 patch + high res texture pack) for any sort of modern benchmarking.

I find that once you go past 4x AA it quickly becomes pointless. Even on my big 42" TV 4x and 16x don't really look much different. The jaggies are gone at 4x so that is where I stop.

Doom 3 is smooth like a butter on my ancient PC, and what's funny - it always ran better than Half-Life 2.

But sikkmod with ambient occlusion and smooth shadows on give me some performance drops.