Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

FoH's Fight On! project (DEMO RELEASED!)

---------------------

Shot at 2011-08-25

MAP GUIDE
<><><><>><>><>
Episode 1 - Ruptus Rage
MAP01-Fury Rising
MAP02-Immolation
Episode 2 - The Fighting Man
MAP03-Enter the Ring
MAP04-Derailed
MAP05-Forceful
Episode 3 - Final Bought
MAP06-Grand Entrance
MAP07-Flight of Valor
<<<<><>><<><><><>><><
---------------------
Hello there,

I havn't posted on these forums for quite a while. I've been playing and moding for doom for long time now, but never got around to releasing anything. Recently I played through Doom and Doom2 on Doom95 and had a blast! It really inspired me to develop my own set of maps which I am announcing here today.

I call this new project Doom: Fight On! It will consist of three maps which condenses and re-imagines Doom1 E1. Heavy emphasis will be placed on balance, fun, and non-stop slaughtering.

Maps:
1- Remote installation
2- Demon caverns
3- Comm Sat. Tower

Below are screenies of Remote installation. It is done for the most part, just need to add a sector, align some textures, and balance the game play.

Thanks for looking. I'll continue updating this thread as the project comes along.

Haha will do!

I just wanted to get down to the basics of doom at this point. No scripting, custom material, or any of that jazz. I think it will help me improve as both a level designer and a doom fan.

I would suggest against covering the ceiling with FLAT20. Otherwise, judging by the screenshots, your layouts look fairly decent.

Krispavera said:

I would suggest against covering the ceiling with FLAT20. Otherwise, judging by the screenshots, your layouts look fairly decent.

The FLAT20 will definitely be switched out by the time I release the demo. Its just there as a placeholder from when I started designing the map.

Memfis said:

Nice. Reminds me of Armadosia. :).

I havn't played Armadosia, but now that you mentioned it, I'll give a looksee.

fiend-o-hell said:

I havn't played Armadosia, but now that you mentioned it, I'll give a looksee.

You gotta play Armadosia, prepare to get lost alot though. Huge maps, many, many switches!

The Mad Corridor.

skaman86 said:

You gotta play Armadosia, prepare to get lost alot though. Huge maps, many, many switches!.

Bah! What madness is this! My map is no where near as trippy as Armadosia. But still, good stuff. Especially the blood levels spaced intermittently throughout.

Doom95... those loving memories... I played a lot with Final Doom under Doom95, Evilution was so epic. Plutonia too, but Evilution was better IMO.

By the way, your map ROCKS! I don't like simple remakes, because I love the unusual/special things only, but your map look interesting. Nice ones!

Well when I got nothing but some doom disks laying around, and I am to lazy to download a port, I just pop it in and good ol' doom95 is ready to fire up. Nowadays though you need to download that extra file to get it to work under Vista on up. Bummer.

I had Windows 98 when I tried tha first time so... I hadn't any problem. But the stuff also works well under Windows XP.

As I've heard from people, Windows Vista is a garbage.

Still around and kicking! I must admit, this mapping thing is a lot harder than it seems at first, but little by little the project is coming along. There are quite a few things to mention, so ill just list them below.

UPDATES
-------
+Decided to make this a zdoom project rather than vanilla. Yup, needed the creative freedom over music, title opening, and level organizing. The map type is still vanilla.
+There will now be 3 episodes consisting of 7 levels. Each episode is based off of the origional levels
+Added level guide to first post
+Added title pic to first post
+Finished with opening animation. Still need to add audio.
+Episode 1 about 40% complete
+Episode 2 about 50% complete
+Episode 3 about .5% complete

EP2 SCREENIES
----------

Will it still be compatible with vanilla source ports though? Like you play through them as separate episodes with ZDoom and the high quality music, but you're still able to play it in vanilla. Not that it matters to me much, I'm a ZDoom user for the most part. (Been slowly switching over to prBoom+ though)

At this, I have made no further plans for compatibility with ports outside of zdoom. I don't wanna loose that consistant feeling of this being a package deal if you know what I mean.

thats not likely to go down well here, If your gonna make it ZDOOM then you might as well make it all singing all dancing with lots of scripting and whatnot.

fiend-o-hell said:

+Decided to make this a zdoom project rather than vanilla. Yup, needed the creative freedom over music, title opening, and level organizing. The map type is still vanilla.

You know you can do all these things and still keep it as a vanilla mapset (within reason.) I mean I don't mind ZDoom at all, but if you can make it compatible across multiple ports, (and thereby leave your maps open to a much wider range of players) then why not?

Screenies look good btw. :)

Why zdoom and not all out vanilla? Cuz I know what zdoom's capable of, and that's what I know best. Sure, I could always replace doom lumps, but your restricted by the amount of frames that's predefined for you. I wanted to add something extra extra to the experience while staying true to the classic doom gameplay experience. It just gives me that extra control I need over the more aesethetic details of my game. I am just trying to accomplish this without reaching to deep into zdoom's magic bag of tricks, and if that puts people off, then just wait until you play the game.

Updates 9/13/2011
------------------
+Hurray, I'm releasing my first playable demo level. I was looking forwards towards submitting it to \newstuff, but for now it seems its has some bugs that need to be worked on. Still, its totally playable and totally fun. I'm posting it here so it can get play tested some. Its the first level and its called "Fury Rising". DL link below. prdoom recommended. Please enjoy!
+Pics for "Fury Rising" below!
+First level renamed from "Enter Remoteness" to "Fury Rising"
+Layout and design for all the levels are complete. Pics coming soon.
+Someone forgot to mention MAPINFO is not vanilla compatible. Switching back to 100% vanilla.
---------------------
Fury Rising Demo Pics
-------------------------

----------------------------------
Fury Rising download link:
------------------------------------
http://www.mediafire.com/?evdbn5g8x75ajq3

New and improved demo is now available on the archives. I realized to late that I missed some critical features, like being able to reach the red key. I Hate myself for it, but hey, if you don't mind clipping for a bit, It still provides some challenging entertainment. I really should public test these things ha! Seriously, I got strung out testing this big ass map.

Right now I'm working on other projects, but as soon as I'm done with that, I plan on finishing the full 7 map series.

Anywho, please report any bugs and/or comment on my shitty mapping skills so I can improve future updates.

Oh, and for future reference, how do I change/update my forum title? Thanks.