Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guiddqd

Mouse accel with Win98

Hi everybody,

After quite a long break from gaming (because of my broken right wrist), I'm getting back in the business, this time playing left-handed. It took quite a while to accept this idea and get used to it, but I think I can get somewhere with it.

The few demos I have shared in the past were all recorded on XP using DOSBOX. But I've always felt that it wasn't the 'right' way to play the game, plus I always had a slight lag that bothered the hell out of me.

I've now bought myself an old PC with windows 98 running.
The configuration is pretty much this: AMD Sempron 2500+ (1750Mhz it seems) with 384Mo of RAM, graphics and sound are ok. But the problem I have is with my mouse, the Razer DeathAdder. It's working on Win98, but even with acceleration removed on windows I still get accel with vanilla doom.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

I've seen this thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/51481-mouse-accel-fix-under-win9x/ but I don't know about creating that kind of file, plus will it work with my mouse?

I've seen this thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-ge...ix-under-win9x/ but I don't know about creating that kind of file, plus will it work with my mouse?

I doubt what dos mouse driver will work anyhow with USB-HID device.

Generally - than newer mouse, then more pain in ass you get for configuring it for DOS apps. Better way is to change the mouse for something simplier with PS/2 interface.

Hitherto said:

I doubt what dos mouse driver will work anyhow with USB-HID device.

Generally - than newer mouse, then more pain in ass you get for configuring it for DOS apps. Better way is to change the mouse for something simplier with PS/2 interface.

Changing mouse isn't an option. Plus the mouse works in the game, it just has accel even when Windows has it disabled.
So what do you mean with the driver and the USB-HID device?

Well I didn't install anything. Windows installed the mouse using drivers found on the Win98SE CD-Rom.

The settings I got are the same you gave me. I didn't need to change them, but acceleration is still present in-game :(

If someone could help me understanding this, maybe it is the solution after all:

Ramon_Demestre said:

This .COM disable acceleration for DOS apps under Windows9x. Note that because of this accel I considered much DOS game to be unplayable under Win and used DOS with MS mouse driver 6.02 (small and no accel).
So I thought it might help somme Doomers like me (myk in mind)

Copy folowinn as Hex in a file named UNACCEL.COM ore something
===================================================
B8 2D 00 BB 04 00 CD 33 B8 1A 00 BB 60 00 B9 60
00 BA 7F 00 CD 33 B8 00 4C CD 21
===================================================
copy the COM in your path.
And now before lunching doom type UNACCEL.

===================
== DOCUMENTATION ==
===================
http://www.ctyme.com/intr/int-33.htm
http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-6003.htm
http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-5983.htm

So basicaly it Selects acceleration Profile number 4, which is non accelerated by default, and set vertical sensivity and horizontal to 60h (6 time original speed)

B8 2D 00 BB 0X 00 ; X is accel profile number 01 to 04.

BB 60 00 ; Set Horizontal speed to 60h you can change it.

B9 60 00 ; Set Vertical speed to 60h you can change it.

The latest bites are not necessary but program crash if they are not presant Still making its job however.

And that all you have to know to play with it.

===========
== NOTES ==
===========
1) This will work under Win9x/ME or under DOS with 7.x MS divers.
2) It will only affect the curent COMMAND.COM instance.
3) Putting it in AUTOEXEC.BAT will not make effect for windows because mouse drivers are loaded later.
4) all credit goes to RBIL for its Great doc about INTs and so INT-33.

I'm not expert, but I would try it this way:
1. Make new .txt -file
2. Open it and copy paste
in it.
3. Change file type from .txt to .com (remember not to use more than 8 characters for the file name, so i.e 12345678.com or 123.com)
4. move the 123.com file into your doom folder.
4. Run your 123.com file
5. Launch doom and I guess there would be no acceleration anymore.

(If there still is acceleration, try using different value for X "B8 2D 00 BB 0X 00 ; X is accel profile number 01 to 04.")

I guess that 123.com has to be run every time you start DOS (command.com).

And again, I'm not expert so don't rely on me. Some of those steps might be needless, but I'm pretty sure my instructions won't harm your computer :)

If you still have mouse acceleration, then I'm clueless.

Paska said:

1. Make new .txt -file
2. Open it and copy paste

No, you need a paste this HEX code in HEX editor.

I checked this method myself for Logitech G5 mouse and it's works fine! Big thanks to Ramon.

1) Download http://e1m2.net/hth/UNACCEL.ZIP - I make this COM with default settings (no accel and 60h speed).
2) Make .bat file which contains two lines, like this:
UNACCEL.COM
DOOM2.EXE <PARAMETERS>
3) Set proper sensetivity through in-game menu or DEFAULT.CFG

Oh baby. Oh yes! It's working great! I just have to change the Mouse Sensitivity setting in regedit and it's gonna be perfect!

You're the man :) Thanks a lot.

Btw, I got ONE last issue with the keyboard this time.
On Myk's Doom page here http://www.doom2.net/~mykdoom/e2m5/#05 , it's said that the G I B and R keys are already fixed by the game but I'm using RDFG to play! I may try zdkeymap, but if it's harmless to use the G and R keys, let me know!

I'm sorry to up this thread again, but I got a problem again!

I formated the Win98 PC to 'make sure' after going on internet and downloading a few things. I wanted to have it completely empty and safe to play, but after reinstalling everything, I now have this:

I don't remember if I had that usb interface driver before. I'm not even sure, but what's for sure is that I can't change the mousesensitivity setting anymore! And I can't play like that, the deathadder is way too fast by default... . I've tried to reinstall the drivers many times, doesn't work. Can't find a driver update, since this one is the last?!

Win98 hates me :(

Guiddqd said:

59Mouseusbdriver.png[/IMG][/URL]
I'm not even sure, but what's for sure is that I can't change the mousesensitivity setting anymore! And I can't play like that, the deathadder is way too fast by default...

If your desktop mouse speed is acceptable, then just select right speed for doom.exe in first string of DEFAULT.CFG

Hitherto said:

If your desktop mouse speed is acceptable, then just select right speed for doom.exe in first string of DEFAULT.CFG

Sensitivity in default.cfg was at the minimum already. Thanks anyway!

Edit: I added the 'mousesensitivity' value in the registry myself, it reduces the sensitivity on the desktop but not in the game. Yepee, I thought I had found the solution, seems NOT!

The solution would be to modify the HEX code then?

It says:

BB 60 00 ; Set Horizontal speed to 60h you can change it.

B9 60 00 ; Set Vertical speed to 60h you can change it.

I don't recommend setting mouse sensitivity 'too high' from default.cfg because it's impossible to make tiny movements with mouse strafing if it's too high (glides get too difficult). It also affects to the speed, what is required to do minimal turning while recording even if the total sensitivity is exactly the same in doom.

And with total sensitivity I mean windows sensitivity + default.cfg (and dosbox sensitivity).

Edit: whoops, I read wrong. Hmm, is it possible to set negative sensitivity into default.cfg? :p

Paska said:

I don't recommend setting mouse sensitivity 'too high' from default.cfg because it's impossible to make tiny movements with mouse strafing if it's too high (glides get too difficult). It also affects to the speed, what is required to do minimal turning while recording even if the total sensitivity is exactly the same in doom.

And with total sensitivity I mean windows sensitivity + default.cfg (and dosbox sensitivity).

Well, Windows 98 sens is at minimum but I can change it the game doesn't take it into account. Default.cfg sensitivity is "0" and it's still too fast. I tried to change the hex code myself but I'm not getting anywhere :/

Edit: No, setting negative values just disables the mouse. I just have to wait for someone to modify correctly the hex code. I tried and tried with this hex/string translator:

http://www.string-functions.com/hex-string.aspx

The string code of unaccel.com that Hiherto gave me is this:

¸- » Í3¸ »` ¹` º Í3¸ LÍ!

which gives

b82d20bb0420cd33b81a20bb6020b96020ba7f20cd33b8204ccd21

The code on the link I posted: B8 2D 00 BB 04 00 CD 33 B8 1A 00 BB 60 00 B9 60

You can remark it's pretty different to the link I posted earlier in the thread. But I'm no expert I don't know which values to change, so I'm stuck atm.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I didn't even think about the simplest way to dicrease the overall sensitivity.

Using the Razer software under Win XP, I decreased the DPI setting from 3500 to 1800 and applied 1000hz of polling rate.

Before trying this I thought Win98 wouldn't take those settings into account once I plugged the mouse from XP into 98, but I had never tested it :/. And it works!

Just for information it is possible to change the horizontal speed with the .COM file, but I was getting some negative acceleration and pretty weird mouse behavior with those values changed (thanks again Hiherto for the precious help here).
The 40 and 20 horizontal speed files are here: http://e1m2.net/hth/unacce24.zip

So in conclusion about UNACCEL.COM I think it's better to keep the original HEX code and change the DPI setting if you can!

Also, I was wrong about something. You CAN use negative values for mouse_sensitivity in default.cfg. That's what I use at the moment to be able to keep 1800dpi. The limit with this (at least on my system) is -5. This value disables the mouse, and from -6 to lower values, you get inverted H axis.
Right now my mouse_sensitivity value is -3, and it seems to work fine that way.

I can finally get back to work! I don't expect to get interesting demos before a few months though.

Thanks everyone who helped, if you wanna play the oldschool way with the latest mouse technology, you know it's possible!

Sorry to have been off for all this time. if it helps here is the assembly code of the 16bit COM file I was taking about 10 years ago.

It could be still useful for someone that plays with original exe under Win9x, so excuse me for bumping the topic.

HEX CODE               ASM CODE     ; Comment
B82D00                 mov ax, 002D ; To select accel profile
BB0400                 mov bx, 0004 ; accel profile number 4 is non accelerated by default
CD33                   int 33       ; Interupt 33h (MS Mouse drivers)
B81A00                 mov ax, 001A ; To set mouse sensitivity
BB6000                 mov bx, 0060 ; Horizontal speed
B96000                 mov cx, 0060 ; Vertical speed
BA7F00                 mov dx, 007F ; Double speed threshold (7F = 127)
CD33                   int 3        ; Interupt 33h (MS Mouse drivers)
B8004C                 mov ax, 4C00 ; Quit
CD21                   int 21

I also attached some COM files with several presets settings for people that do not like using Hex editor

unaccel010.com => Vertical speed 0 and Horizontal speed 10h

unaccel020.com => Vertical speed 0 and Horizontal speed 20h

unaccel040.com => Vertical speed 0 and Horizontal speed 40h

unaccel1010.com => Vertical speed 10 and Horizontal speed 10h

etc...

Note that in theory you only need: the first 3 lines of asm code and the last 2 to disable the acceleration by loading the profile N°4, without setting the mouse speed:

HEX CODE               ASM CODE     ; Comment
B82D00                 mov ax, 002D ; To select accel profile
BB0400                 mov bx, 0004 ; accel profile number 4 is non accelerated by default
CD33                   int 33       ; Interupt 33h (MS Mouse drivers)
B8004C                 mov ax, 4C00 ; Quit
CD21                   int 21

unaccel.zip