Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Earth Base, a classic style megawad (WIP)

Hello to all, after 3 years of underway works between me and lupinx-kassman, here's the official presentation of Earth Base, a classic style megawad sets in the timeline between Ultimate Doom and Hell on Earth. In the working time, i wrote to make a 11 map pack before doing a full megawad, and if this likes we'll made another episode (or finish the full megawad, who knows? Just let's see what kassman think...), so since there's only one map to the goal (and other levels that needs to be changed, finished or fixed) i think to show this project to the masses, here's the story behind it and the level list:

Story:
After defeating the last spiderdemon in that huge demonic temple, you jumped into that hidden hole, unknown where you get lead this time, maybe earth, maybe not. Anyway after you going into that portal, the temple crumbles behind you, and you floating in the sky, until you can reach something that looks a series of portals in the sky, builded in the style of the temple, and one of the portal looks like leading to a montainouus valley, and you see a UAC base... home, at last. But it looks you're coming too late and the monsters start their attack against the earth, are you brave enough to defeat the evil from the Earth Base?

Level list so far:

MAP01: Earth Attack
MAP02: Caverns of Horror
MAP03: Trashing Bay Area
MAP04: Toxic Avenger
MAP05: Mutilation Fountain (working title) (another level from kassman)
MAP06: Portal to Plutonia
MAP07: Rocket Jazz (made by kassman)
MAP08: Building the new evilution
MAP09: Vrack me up
MAP10: Planet Terror (an old layout from a 2006 unreleased doom megawad, ripped off from the original and added the texture pack of the project)
MAP11: Defender of Daemon Town

Spoiler

Special slots:
MAP31: Witching Hour
MAP32: Knee Deep in your Melancholy

Screen shots are here: http://imgur.com/a/Zy7z3

Presenting a proposed map 5: Mutilation Fountain. I originally intended my second map to be sort of like a tribute to Bob Reganess's weird maps, but it instead turned into a more gothic-type level.

The layout of this map is pretty much done, just needs monster and item placement now.

Of course the map wouldn't be called mutilation fountain if there was no gore fountain to be found.

Also, I agree that the episode should be released once all the maps in the OP list are fully complete. Based on how its received, we can decide whether it should be a full megawad or not.

Good to see classic themed wads getting popular.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Based on how its received, we can decide whether it should be a full megawad or not.

Official definition of megawad is "15 maps or more" so if you make MAP05 and two others you're there.

I like those screenshots, most of them are cool. Although some screenshots has bad cut textures.

Classic=Awesome

Those shots are very good looking Lupinx, the layout looks very nice aswell. I hope that map makes it in! :) I think releasing this episode by episode is a cool way to do it.

thanks for the feedback guys, and also cool map lupinx-kassman! I like the gore fountain effect! WE'll see to finish our maps, anyway here's a progress of this first episode map pack:

MAP01 - 100%
MAP02 - 100%
MAP03 - 100%
MAP04 - 10% (just made few works on starting room...)
MAP05 - 50% (?)
MAP06 - 100% (but i think to change the layout of this map...)
MAP07 - 100% (imho)
MAP08 - 100%
MAP09 - 5% (like map04, i just made the starting section, plus a exit)
MAP10 - 90% (needs to be detailed and tweaked a little bit)
MAP11 - 100%

@C3N09 where you found the textures bug in the screenshots? Just let me know, so i can fix it...

Looks pretty interesting, well maybe quite a bit brown in that map, but the green sky gives some contrast to the brown.

I know it's cool to hate brown but I like brown quite alot. Especially the way it was used in Darkening E1 to create a twisted Love Craftian atmosphere, and the way Kim Malde used it in his AV maps to contrast with nukage was a total mindfuck for me, so yeah. Brown kicks ass. :)

@C3N09 where you found the textures bug in the screenshots? Just let me know, so i can fix it...

Alright

Image 3, if you look at the wood on the left you would see it is cut oddly, just move the lights by 16 units and that's it.

Image 6, I'm not talking about cut textures but I'm talking about light variation, needs more IMO.

Image 12, cut STARTAN# textures look awkward, I'd say extend the window from both sides to match. Also try lowering it down to match the horizontal line.

Image 16, the bricks near the lift aren't aligned correctly.

That's all. I must say that a great WAD/MegaWAD is coming. Keep it up!

Gez said:

Official definition of megawad is "15 maps or more" so if you make MAP05 and two others you're there.

I guess what was implied was 32 maps, or like a sequel episode, but personally I have always been for quality over quantity, so there is no need to think of it at the moment IMO.

DeathevokatioN said:

I know it's cool to hate brown but I like brown quite alot. Especially the way it was used in Darkening E1 to create a twisted Love Craftian atmosphere, and the way Kim Malde used it in his AV maps to contrast with nukage was a total mindfuck for me, so yeah. Brown kicks ass. :)

I'm not saying I hate brown, just that there's quite a bit of it. Maybe there should be like more of those fountains, like one main/center/large one and smaller ones scattered around.. or maybe the fountain kinda leaks. Or maybe some marbfaces somewhere, or maybe some more green torches.

Jimi said:

I'm not saying I hate brown, just that there's quite a bit of it. Maybe there should be like more of those fountains, like one main/center/large one and smaller ones scattered around.. or maybe the fountain kinda leaks. Or maybe some marbfaces somewhere, or maybe some more green torches.

I was referring to the general dislike brown gets on these forums, not so much to your post, but rather inspired by you mentioning brown. :)

It's a very nice color which can create very striking and abstract scenes when used in contrast with different colors. I'm liking the green torches idea also.

C30N9 said:

Alright

Image 3, if you look at the wood on the left you would see it is cut oddly, just move the lights by 16 units and that's it.

Image 6, I'm not talking about cut textures but I'm talking about light variation, needs more IMO.

Image 12, cut STARTAN# textures look awkward, I'd say extend the window from both sides to match. Also try lowering it down to match the horizontal line.

Image 16, the bricks near the lift aren't aligned correctly.

That's all. I must say that a great WAD/MegaWAD is coming. Keep it up!

Thanks, i'll see to fix it.

sorry for double post, but today i worked a little on this project, mostly revamping existing maps and adding a new exit concept in MAP11.

Originally this was intended to be a Icon of Sin fight, but i just think can this wad is sets trougth the ultimate doom and doom 2, so seeing a icon of sin it could be weird, so i added a portal showed in this shots:

Oh boy, final boss fighting each other ^_^

@hex11:this project is for boom and MBF (tested with prboom and works fine...)

@kassman: i just thinking to this meanwhille i worked on map11... since this map got 2 cybers and 2 spiders and map07 got 2 cybers and 1 spider, could you rid off of 1 cyber and change it with a big number of medium monsters, like baron of hell or similar?

Wow. It will be interesting through 32 maps.

IMO don't give window texture to the side of the ruins. It looks ugly. Oh and the car/truck looks strange. Lower that, or make it longer.

This looks like It'll be a pretty interesting megawad.

How difficult is this going to be?

I know it's hard to make convincing vehicles in Doom, but that truck just looks bizarre. Maybe try making it shorter?

walter confalonieri said:

ok, next time i'll work on the weirdest trucks on earth...

Come on, don't be angry for me. We're just helping you. =)

Katamori said:

Come on, don't be angry for me. We're just helping you. =)

Don't worry man, I doubt he was angry. I believe it was more in a joking tone :). We appreciate any constructive criticism we get!

walter confalonieri said:

@kassman: i just thinking to this meanwhille i worked on map11... since this map got 2 cybers and 2 spiders and map07 got 2 cybers and 1 spider, could you rid off of 1 cyber and change it with a big number of medium monsters, like baron of hell or similar?

I now sent you a PM containing map 05, as well as an updated map 07 with the change you requested among others.

Since these shots were only in the post your images thread, I decided I might as well post them here where they belong. This is map 07 (which I think I would like to rename "rocket jazz"), and it is a lot more colorful than map 05 (which was intended to be a brown-heavy map with contrasting decoration).

The entire cavern in this last shot mostly flickers, which is the reason the lighting looks the way it does. The objectives in this map are to disarm four missiles straight out of 1995, as well as activate the complex's self destruct switch.