Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Weapon pickup sprites

These could certainly do with replacing:

Some of the other sprites probably should be updated too. The rocket launcher sprite is for the old rocket launcher (the new rocket launcher is brown), and the plasma rifle sprite doesn't really match either (it's also uncomfortably similar to the Doom plasma rifle).

Yeah, I cringe every time the plasmagun pickup sprite ripoff comes on the screen. If I get some free time tonight I'll try tossing together a new graphic or two.

Since nobody else stepped up and beat me to it while I was procrastinating, I tossed together my first attempt at a replacement for the plasmagun just now:

(Upscaled 3x)

Opinions?

I sketched and colored it from scratch on a 800x600 canvas in Photoshop, then shrunk it down and palettized it, which actually worked better than I had expected. I tried to keep it similar to the style of the other weapon pickups (the shotgun's, in particular), and I tried to interpret the general shape of the HUD sprite.

I'm no Adrian Carmack, though, so it's a bit rough in spots. I've been tweaking and cleaning it up all evening, so I figured it might be worth posting before I nod off, anyway.

Here's a wad link, too, so you can quickly check it in-game:
http://www.mediafire.com/?511hta3os4chs1t

Wow that's pretty awesome Mithran! It is, at the very least, way better than the old pick-up sprite. Not to mention it actually matches the HUD sprite pretty well too. I can't think of anything to suggest since I'm no sprite artist myself. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

Your sprite is just awesome.

However, the real problem now is the BFG. It doesn't even look like ANYTHING on the pick-up sprite.

My main complaint is that I like the muzzle extension on mine better than the flat front face on your edit, but the way you did most the shading is about what I would have done if I'd had time to revisit this. Especially on the foregrip area. I think the new trigger looks kind of funny with the lone pixel suggesting a forward curve, but that's pretty minor. That's what my opinion is, anyway.

Just looking at it by eye, it appears that you still need to palettize it, though, in any case; Doom doesn't have the kind of desaturated browns you used, so hopefully it converts gracefully.

Mithran Denizen said:

Just looking at it by eye, it appears that you still need to palettize it, though, in any case; Doom doesn't have the kind of desaturated browns you used, so hopefully it converts gracefully.

I converted it to the Doom palette earlier, and it looked fine.

The reason I flattened it is because I saw nothing on the first person sprite suggesting that there was anything extruding from it. I'll probably modify the trigger, I agree that it does look rather odd.

Sodaholic said:

I just modified Mithran's pickup sprite, tell me what you think of it:

I had some reservations about Mithran Denizen's original version (it was a bit grainy/colors seemed a bit off), but this is a definite improvement.

Good work, both of you!

I always hate the SSG pickup sprite when I play freedm online with people. From a distance you can barely make out what it is and the "shells" below the sprite are extremely low quality and are probably better off removed from the sprite.

Vulture said:

I always hate the SSG pickup sprite when I play freedm online with people. From a distance you can barely make out what it is and the "shells" below the sprite are extremely low quality and are probably better off removed from the sprite.

I agree, the SSG graphic looks like crap. I might see if I could make a new pickup graphic for it. It doesn't even look like the first person sprite!

Hello, this is my first post here. I took the liberty of making a few weapon pickup sprites that look approximately appropriate to the 1st person view weapons.

Here's the wad (all the above in Doom picture format)

pics were made using paletted images.
1: BFG pickup: it's a modification of the current Freedoom sprite, added motifs that kind of reminescent of the original BFG (light and handles), made the front look like the 1st person view.
2: Plasma gun: made from scratch, just for the sake of completeness.
3: Rocket Launcher: looks a bit silly, but fits the hud sprite, also made from scratch.
4: Chaingun: inspiration from the original Doom, and the Doom64 sprites. Maybe a tad bit too big... Made from scratch.
5: Super Shottie: the handle is from the current SSG, flipped it to make the red lights appropriate on the side (SSG has it on the left side)
6: 4 shell: actually contains 4 shells :) minor edit for just something that bothered me.

Very nice work! :) My only complaint is that the surfaces seem too smooth, they should look more textured. The plasma rifle seems a little small, too. The brown on the chaingun doesn't look right, maybe try green?

Nice sprites! I love the contour of that plasma gun. The flat barrels on the end of the chaingun look kind of meh, but I'm not sure if you could do much about that. I do like the brown on the body, though.

The BFG sprite seems like it might be overly long, although I think it looks much better than the current one. The rocket launcher also seems a tad boring compared to the rest, but at least it's the right shape and color now.

Anyway, it's a lot better than the current sprites. Also, nice touch on the "4 shotgun shells" sprite actually having FOUR shells and not three.

Z86 said:

Hello, this is my first post here. I took the liberty of making a few weapon pickup sprites that look approximately appropriate to the 1st person view weapons.

Great work! Only thing that needs fixing is the Y offsets of the weapons in your WAD.

Glad you like the sprites, i'm planning a minor update for them when i'll get less lazy.

My plans include:
- Add more roughness/grit to the hand made sprites (that includes all except the BFG)
- A bit of cleanup on the BFG, and shorten it a tiny bit
- make the plasmagun slightly larger and darker. I took the original sprite as a reference for size, but i guess it's kind of small compared to the rest.
- make the chaingun slightly smaller (ammo feeder part up by 1 pixel, make barrels a bit shorter) - i actually like the brown, i'll try to imitate the color of the original chaingun maybe a bit more closely
- IDK about the rocket launcher, other than adding a bit more grit i'm pretty much stuck with the shape due to the front part.. I'll see what i can do because i kind of find it too fat and want to make it a bit thinner.

Also in the wad i used my usual setting of placing the weapons slightly into the ground (as if they were laying on it), but i realized it might look bad on some source ports, so i'll go with the doom style slightly above the ground for the update.

I managed to be not lazy, so here we go with the updated sprites (thx for feedback BTW)

Changes:
BFG: shorter, cleaned up a bit (had a few off-colored pixels)
Plasma: larger, made it darker and scrambled the pixels a bit
Rocket: thinner front part, pixel scrambling, added more grit
Chaingun: a bit smaller, brown parts slightly recolored
SSG: very slight pixel scramble

Wad: adjusted offsets, now all sprites are above ground level

Man I wish drawing on computer was as easy in real life (shading/shadowing wise)

This is awesome stuff! I really like the plasma gun sprite. Its my favorite so far.

Nice, but my only complaint is that the rocket launcher still looks a little smooth, it needs a textured look, not just some rust. That, and the supershotgun needs to be flipped horizontally, weapon pickups typically face right.

Well I love these and will commit them unless someone more senior tells me not to. thanks Z86.

Sodaholic said:
the supershotgun needs to be flipped horizontally, weapon pickups typically face right.

I see your point, but as Z86 explained in his first post:

flipped [the ssg] to make the red lights appropriate on the side (SSG has it on the left side)