Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I discovered Doom when I was already in my thirties and I was playing both of them till my fingers bled , for years and years , totally unaware that out there people are making some stuff , called wads , mods ... Then I found out about that , and I had a HUGE problem : I didn't have a clue how the hell to load them . My ignorance was ( and still is ) so big , that I don't even know how to put a link to the stupid question I asked here on Doomworld . That is how I earned this nice status,anyway... So , a year has passed , and I can say that I have played every goddamn wad that was ever made , so I managed to catch up with all of you guys , more or less , heh. And,one more thing - I am 40 now and I am female . I hope everyone reading this is having a laugh , seriously , this is a odd story/confession , that nobody can even come close to .

I played the gameboy advance versions of both Doom 1 and 2 on an emulator before I managed to get the pc versions of them.

EarthQuake said:

I despise the look of Doom 64.

This kind of candor is the whole idea of the thread... but I hate you. :(

DoomHero85 said:

I don't think that's a confession either. I think most people haven't done that.

ah you got me!

alright...uhm lets see,
* I dont like Doom2.
* I prefer Doom1 or customwads with Doom2iwad,
* Doom3 didnt scared me.

Heheh you just reminded me of another confession. Doom 3 scared me a lot with all those cheap gimmicky scare tactics. What a baby.

NiuHaka said:

Heheh you just reminded me of another confession. Doom 3 scared me a lot with all those cheap gimmicky scare tactics. What a baby.

The thing in Doom 3 which scares me are actually that lost soul(Theresa owns) and bathroom scene.

-I enjoyed Doom 3, flash light and all.
-A girl I knew in grade school had to explain killing the IoS to me.
-I still think Aeons of Death is pretty fun, if a total clusterfuck.
-I've seen Rule 63 stuff for Doom, a product of GISing the Cyberdemon. Don't look it up. Seriously.
-I just now noticed that the Rock's eyebrow in the Doomworld header raises on occasion.
-I have yet to play any of the Master Levels (but that will be rectified soon!)

Every Doom level is a morsel to be cherished.

A sweet beauty to behold and caress, like a lover.

In all honesty, I only prefer coop doom. Or 4-player DM.

Memento Mori 2 map 15 and the super-secret level "Go To It" are the best maps I've played

My confession:

I have over 300 demos (LMPs) recorded of me and various friends playing this game (and equal number of demos for Quake and Quake2).

Xaser said:

When playing maps with ZDoom (which I almost always tend to use), I tend to not save and instead use the resurrect cheat. A lot.

That command is the single worst thing about ZDoom I ever discovered. I am glad I am not alone.

- When I was 12 or 13, I opened up DeeP so I could "examine" the three softcore, black and white textures from some PWAD on the Master Levels for Doom 2 CD.

- I once had a dream that the Cyberdemon had a rocket launcher for a weiner. He didn't fire it. But it was pretty disturbing.

- Used to scrawl the DooM logo on a lot of my schoolwork as a kid.

- Up until a year or so ago, I had a pirated version of Doom 2 (but a legal version of Ultimate Doom), back from when I was in grade school. I have since legally purchased an id Software collection from Steam that includes both Dooms.

- When I was 12 or 13, I also crafted a PowerPoint/Word Doom manual, with my own graphics (but not of the enemies), for a friend who had installed Doom, which I provided the disks for. Back then, I didn't really think anything of that sort of thing, but these days all my games are completely legally handled.

-I think SNES Doom is an impressive port.
-I NEVER finish my maps. And when I do, they are usually as short as MAP01, if not shorter.
-I haven't played a good online game for almost a year now due to those new-fangled Mega Man, All-Out war, Zombie Infestation and what-not wads dominating the Skulltag servers. Goddammit.
-I have a large poster of The Ultimate Doom boxart hanging in my bedroom, it isn't an original print.
-I have those Rule 34 images of the Doom monsters still saved somewhere on my harddrive, albeit never "used", with no intention of doing so.

- I played Doom 2 long before I played Doom 1. I even played Heretic before I played Doom 1, but I got to pick up Ultimate Doom when I first experienced it.
- I have tried level designing and failed miserably. Either from a lack of imagination or trouble keeping the maps from self-destructing while I was designing them. It would take days to make a few rooms look to my tastes.

Xaser said:

• I loathe TNT MAP31 and AV MAP24.

As much as I love AV... Fuck that map.

Gordon said:

Other confessions:

-I like E2 better than E1.
-I save in the middle of maps.

Ditto.

kmxexii said:

-I enjoyed Doom 3, flash light and all.

*nods slowly*

Vile said:

- I have tried level designing and failed miserably. Either from a lack of imagination or trouble keeping the maps from self-destructing while I was designing them. It would take days to make a few rooms look to my tastes.

Same here.

I had fully played all of Doom 2's maps over the years.. but it wasn't until maybe late last year that I sat down and played them all in order (including maps 31 and 32).

I don't really like Playstation Doom all that much. As stupid as it sounds, the lack of a memory card save system just ruins it for me. I'm not gonna sit and play every map in one go nor am I willing to write down fucking passwords. I did that once, I enjoyed playing it, but I will probably never touch it again. The PSX Doom iwad on the other hand is pretty damn cool.

- I love brown;
- I have only played multiplayer Doom on a LAN, around '98 or '99. I have never downloaded a multiplayer PWAD. As a matter of fact, I don't even read the /newstuff reviews of multiplayer maps;
- since around last year or so, I've been playing with the combination ZDoom/mouselook a lot more than I would like to admit;
- without citing any names, there are a few higly praised PWADS that I despise;
- I hate Doom on OpenGL;

Moar

- I made a Doom Comic map that was as bad as the comic. Came complete with voice acting. Works shitty though in jDoom which was my fave port at the time, so I never released it.
- I hate Final Doom's TNT episode. I think it's all around awful except for a small few maps.
- I put more effort into making Wolfenstein 3D maps more than Doom maps because I like Wolf3D's artsyle more than Doom's artstyle.
- I like HeXen more than Heretic but I've gotten farther in Heretic.
- Despite being boring to fight and useless in most maps, I think Barons are the most badass enemy for a video game ever created.
- I found the Doom2 iwad on the web and combined it with Doom Legacy. Doom 3 was the first Doom game I got a hard copy for, and I didn't legally get Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom until sometime really early this year or really late last year.
- I own Doom 3 for every system it came on, but I haven't played the xBox version because I don't have an xBox (I also have the Prima xBox Guide)
- I think the voice acting in Doom 3 is great and I hate the fact the cast wasn't in the game's credits.

Xaser said:

• When playing maps with ZDoom (which I almost always tend to use), I tend to not save and instead use the resurrect cheat. A lot.

• I tend to do this. Along with a quick freeze to make a jump to more open areas if I died surrounded.

I prefer TNT over Plutonia.

I am instantly turned off by insta-teleporting/monster closets after picking up keys, but will quit immediately if its a shit ton of Revenants. Needless to say, I don't get far in slaughterfests.

-My first doom experience was, sadly, on the 3do port. good music, but the gameplay was sux.
    -When I first played doom 2, i had no idea how to run in it, since i wasn't used to the keyboard/mouse layout.
    -I seem to have made the 5 worst possible maps for doom ever, since they were my first 'maps'. Sadly enough, i have them up on youtube, for the endless facepalms and rants.
    (looks away in shame)

I am actually more interested in finishing the original maps for doom and doom II over and over rather then playing any of them fancy wads floating about. Not speed running them or anything, just replaying them (though often with weapon/enhancement mods and PSX music).

The only megawads I finish are ports of other versions of doom to PC (PSX TC, Console Doom, the Doom 64 Port). What's worse is that I've probably finished these ports on there original platform. Probably more then once.

I am great at Doom, cuz I've finished it on the hardest difficulty NIGHTMARE IS BULLSHIT AND DOESN'T COUNT

I think anyone who DOESN'T use mouselook is a weirdo and becasue I've finished Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and the Master levels with the original EXE's as well as PSX Doom, PSX Final Doom, Doom 64 and Doom on game boy advanced I have earned the right to look down on you (WITH MY MOUSE).

I am actually quite invested in the idea that the monsters in Doom are demon from hell and not aliens. What's that you say? Who cares, doom has no story and it doesn't matter? FUCK YOU IT TOTALLY DOES STOP SHITTING ON MY DREAMS DAD *run to room, slams door and listens to loud music.

j4rio said:

I've never played ultimate doom. Ever.

You're not missing much. The original Doom E1-3 are the best Doom episodes of any IWAD or PWAD ever made. So there you go, another confession by me. :D

My earlier post wasn't really a confession, so here's something more fitting: For the longest time I mostly avoided playing most maps with monsters ranking higher than demons (or having nasty traps/dark areas/close scraps with revenants, etc) out of the old fears they inspired when i was very young and first played Doom (94~ or so). I even had an odd way of playing "co-op", where I would play in -nomonsters with a friend of mine over the phone, the two of us just exploring the levels (I remember spending a lot of time in the yellow-veined area of The Spirit World). It was actually only around 2003 or so that i actually played through and beat Ultimate Doom episodes 1-3, and then Doom 2 a few years after that. Past childhood, the effect was mainly a deep dread vs an actual fear, along with the faulty notion that the games were probably too hard to bother beating at later levels (kind of embarrassed at how easy it really is after all these years).
    I think a part of me also felt that the game had to be feared to be fully enjoyed, and so i was reluctant to try getting past it.

Edit: It wasn't even modem play, just kind of vocally syncing locations and musing on the novelty of the environments.

the first time I opened up a doom map editor i modified all the maps in DOOM1.wad adding extra rooms and changing the textures making many of them brilliantly shiny with COMPSTAx and SHAWN textures. I was obsessed with shiny tech stuff instead of the browns and rusted STARTAN that i really like now.