Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #75

Yet another week goes by, and here we are with yet another yadda yadda from Newstuff.

• Schizophrenia by Inferno_45 - - One very nice single-player map for Doom 2. This level is very effect-oriented, with lots of special effects and "fun" details creating a refreshing environment. It's moderately sized, with health and ammo balanced quite well. It has a general brown design with some other colors nicely thrown in. It also has a good music replacement. Requires ZDoom.

• Sinful Discharge by Ice - - This is something refreshingly different. A nine-level, single-player modification for Heretic, replacing all of episode 3. The levels are somewhat challenging, although the gameplay is balanced reasonably well. The WAD is themed like.. Heretic... It's basically a new episode, full of lots of good map variety and atmosphere. Indoor and outdoor areas, cathedrals and graveyards. It has almost everything. The only potential downfall is that it requires JHeretic.

JHeretic... wtf.
There is no need for JHeretic. Shudda run with vanilla Heretic and ZDoom too.
DO ya ppl know what jheretic is??? right! it is plain vanilla heretic + gl enhancements.
Doomsday Engine doesnot have any special features like ROR or scripting that some WAD would need Jheretic.
Of course, Doomsday is a cool gfx port!

Yeah, it works fine with ZDoom. I guess what the author meant is, that it won't run in vanilla Heretic.
BTW, thoses are some pretty nice Heretic levels.

Sinful discharge? That would be what happens if and when you have sex with someone you're not married to :)

Originally posted by inferno_45
I doubt it will get many plays. GL ports are so goofy.

Er... maybe look at Hirogen2's and mine posts?

I really need a new version of ZDoom. I'm using version 1.23 Beta 33, but Schizophrenia crashed out hard.

ZDoomGL would be even nicer.. :)

Originally posted by rtz
I really need a new version of ZDoom. I'm using version 1.23 Beta 33, but Schizophrenia crashed out hard.

i used version 1.22 for it and had no problems.

Schizo was very good, a tad to short for me tastes but good! I loved the chaingun replacement.

Sinful Discharge: I haven't seen levels of this calibur since SailorScouts heretic maps. Finally some quality Heretic maps!

The addtional sounds, textures and detail really made these maps stand out. I did notice a few streched out textures here and there and also some messed up teleporter flats, but nothing to really get anal over. AWESOME WORK!

I think I'll restart my own Heretic project...

(rant over)

I really liked the sound of the pistol! I used it quite a bit because of that.

Originally posted by rtz

ZDoomGL would be even nicer.. :)

yeah, use 1.22, still by far the most stable release.

[i]
Sinful Discharge: I haven't seen levels of this calibur since SailorScouts heretic maps. Finally some quality Heretic maps!

The addtional sounds, textures and detail really made these maps stand out. I did notice a few streched out textures here and there and also some messed up teleporter flats, but nothing to really get anal over. AWESOME WORK!

[/B]

Thanks, appreciate it, yeah after playing through it I noticed some of the messed up texture spots, the worst one being in the first level in the yellow key door, look up and you will see...doh! Should have gotten more people to check it over before releasing it, I only had Pablo Dictter and myself.

yeah, use 1.22, still by far the most stable release.

That is a joke, right? I had 1.22 crash on me on several occassions, while beta 33 hasn't crashed once.

Not only that, but the latest betas run one heck of a lot faster (due to better rendering code or something).

if you need a another person to look over any heretic maps I would be more than happy to do so. I love Heretic with a passion, and would like to see more quality maps for it.

The dumb thing is that you do not have an SG in Heretic or Hexen :D
Otherwise there would be thousands of levels, I think.

I want ZDoom 1.24 NOW DAMMIT with all its possible cool features!

I could do really *COOL* levels, ... IF:
- the source ports would have these features
- I could draw textures (the doom2 retexturing project is 1337, and I cannot
"draw")

That's why I implemented new textures into Heretic. The original ones are ok, but some of them are nasty. Like BRWNACKS, and CSTLRCK. Anyone know the homepage for the Doom 32-bit retexturing project?

Once all the Heretic and Hexen monsters work in Doom using ZDoom, I might do some kind of cool fantasy mini-project :)

sgtcrispy: There are other quality heretic maps out there (check out mdomain1.zip, carnage.zip and ichor.zip - 3 quality episodes). I am also making a heretic episode of my own, with the same quality of ideas/concepts as seen in my DooM 2 maps, but with a bit more attention to lighting etc. (see my website for details)

club_ice: I'm gonna play these maps tonight, they look great. Nice to see someone other than myself making heretic maps - although it's similar to DooM, it has enough features to make it different, and also the playing strategies are different from DooM.

inferno_45: You can create new textures for heretic just like you can in DooM with nwt or wintex. (I've got plenty in my heretic wad)