Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Going to the Source

That's good, I guess. Properly supporting widescreen out of the box is about the only feature I would want added. I had forgotten about that stupid Creative patent - that might put a damper on people using the license for independent games.

Widescreen is already supported, though you have to use console commands to do it properly.

What'd actually be good is a port that fixes the audio system so it's not a hassle on Linux. (Doom 3 is not too fun on that aspect...)

chungy said:

Widescreen is already supported, though you have to use console commands to do it properly.

I know, that's what I said out of the box. And I don't consider it "properly" supported since the menu, hud, and PDA are all stretched. Plus you can't select widescreen resolutions in the UI - even something like ZDoom's display setup makes Doom 3 look primitive in comparison.

Doom 3 works good on most operating systems as is. I can see this being similar to Quake 2. Even when the code has been released, the game runs fine vanilla on most systems, thus, not too many sourceports.

This is really only good for indi developers who want to use the engine for projects. But Doom 3 is so hard to map, it's hard for hobbyists to even care.

That's great news! Not that I could ever do anything with it, but I know there are folks out there that certainly could (and probably will).

Also! Apparently, Id Tech 5 WILL go open-source once people stop using it. Might take a decade, though.

david_a said:

I know, that's what I said out of the box. And I don't consider it "properly" supported since the menu, hud, and PDA are all stretched. Plus you can't select widescreen resolutions in the UI - even something like ZDoom's display setup makes Doom 3 look primitive in comparison.

Just download a menu mod then you twonk.

Average said:

Good news indeed. It'll be interesting what the first source code modifications will be...

I might play through the game again if it looked like this:

http://doom3.filefront.com/potd/121979

but I'm not sure if that is a real mod already, and not something that requires a source code mod. Anyone?

Technician said:

But Doom 3 is so hard to map, it's hard for hobbyists to even care.

Wrong. As soon as you learn what's to be learnt and get used to the most important features, it becomes a breeze to map for Doom 3. You just need to know what theme you're going for, so you don't creep with random features. It's not more complicated than Quake and you don't have to know how to make 3d models, especially if you're going for a more traditional Doom design.

printz said:

It's not more complicated than Quake

If you want levels that look like quake then sure, but anything like the level of detail in doom 3 or beyond it definitely takes more time modeling, textures, lighting, etc... I'm not sure there's anyway around that, the future generation of tools probably won't make that easier, except the conversion process (from modeler to game)

I don't see how that fits into doom source code modification though. You are better off writing a good "blender to doom 3 script" or something... that'll get more hobbyists making levels for it, maybe? or Sketchup to Doom 3... hell, that might already exist, and sketchup is an easy as pie "level maker"

Don't forget one of the paragraphs, which might be important:

Gamasutra said:

Note that Doom 3's famous shadow renderer is based on technology patented by Creative Labs. According to an alleged 2009 email conversation with Carmack, anyone using the renderer would "potentially be infringing" on that patent.

Youn said:

I might play through the game again if it looked like this:

http://doom3.filefront.com/potd/121979

but I'm not sure if that is a real mod already, and not something that requires a source code mod. Anyone?

i can't say about that particular picture, but the game looks still impressive with rygel's hq textures and sikkmod to add various effects (parallax occlusion mapping or relief mapping).

you can also try wulfen mod instead.

i just can't stand the clearly visible motion blur, imo the most annoying effect to grace shooters.

Dx11 motion blur in Crysis2 is the first I've been able to stand. It doesn't blur your gun for example.

Here's hoping for a source port that would let me change something as simple as the resolution without having to reboot the program for it to take effect.

you can already do that with vid_restart. I don't know why Doom 3 wanted you to restart the whole game, especially when the Quake games just ran vid_restart automatically. Maybe there were some issue with some hardware configs?

Mr. T said:

Dx11 motion blur in Crysis2 is the first I've been able to stand. It doesn't blur your gun for example.

I don't know about that; honestly, the only games I've seen motion blur in that it looked bad in are the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. (Which is probably why you have to set a launch parameter to even access the feature.) Even then, it's only because it affects the FPV models like crazy even while walking.

C2 doesn't blur your FPV model at all. The motion blur is actually so well done, it is hard to notice at all (which is how is how it should be.)

Especially comparing it to DX9 motion blur in the same game, which quite frankly looks like ass. Infact after seeing DX11 motion blur you won't be able to go back.

I wish there was a modern engine out there where you could just draw lines to design levels like good old fashioned doom editing.