Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > DOOM RETRO v1.5 (updated July 17, 2014)
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 10 [11]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RUSH

What I don't like about this source port:

- Frame rate locked to 35 fps
- Very dark with no ability to increase brightness
- Mouse sensitivity feels very weird and seems to accelerate when moving the mouse fast. Small movements feel weird and cause me to miss nearly all distance shots.
- No ability to customize controls

Wait... why does anybody use this source port again? Odamex does this retro styled Doom better in almost every conceivable way.

Old Post 07-20-14 18:04 #
RUSH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
soner du
Green Marine

You can customize some controls by modifying the configuration file ... but not all controls so far. The only thing I really miss is my "right mouse button = use/open" I use in other ports...

Old Post 07-20-14 18:17 #
soner du is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VGA
Mini-Member

RUSH said:
What I don't like about this source port:

- Mouse sensitivity feels very weird and seems to accelerate when moving the mouse fast. Small movements feel weird and cause me to miss nearly all distance shots.

Wait... why does anybody use this source port again? Odamex does this retro styled Doom better in almost every conceivable way.

You're sadly way off the mark, this port looks and feels a lot different to Odamex.

If you want a more new school port with uncapped framerate etc then yeah, forget about this one, this is a fork of Chocolate Doom, more streamlined with several aesthetic differences.

Old Post 07-20-14 19:54 #
VGA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RUSH

Hmm ok my bad. I just don't see why anybody would use this over ZDoom or Odamex.

Old Post 07-20-14 20:08 #
RUSH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Average

RUSH said:
Hmm ok my bad. I just don't see why anybody would use this over ZDoom or Odamex.

It's just a different flavour of Chocolate Doom. A personal thing that someone has chosen to share with us. You've also got to remember that the port itself is only a few months old and it has come on leaps and bounds since it was first shown.

Personally, I always like to see a new source port as they all offer something different while retaining the core of Doom. :)

Old Post 07-20-14 20:39 #
Average is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VGA
Mini-Member

RUSH said:

For starters ... it looks totally different...

Also, you're seeing everything through your eyes, for example, Odamex is used mainly for faithful multiplayer, not for single player. It's not even one of the popular ports.

Old Post 07-20-14 20:45 #
VGA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bradharding

RUSH said:

Just like the original DOOM.

Press the F11 key. Just like the original DOOM, and every other source port out there.

Mouse handling is the same as Chocolate DOOM. Mouse acceleration can be disabled in doomretro.cfg.

Again: doomretro.cfg.

Old Post 07-20-14 21:18 #
bradharding is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RUSH

Ehh I guess I've just been way too spoiled with all the other source port features and accessibility. Kudos to whoever still plays Doom this way...

Old Post 07-20-14 21:55 #
SuperflyJohnson
Warming Up

RUSH said:

Uh, gamma correction?

Old Post 07-21-14 00:27 #
SuperflyJohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krazov
Green Marine

RUSH said:

It's a testimony time:

I like ZDoom, but it steered a little bit too much from the core. Not that it's bad itsefl--I use it and enjoy it, but for new WADs with all them new features and stuff. When it comes to classic levels it feels not right. And that's the place where Doom Retro comes into the picture.

I like the attention to the detail, like different palette (with additional saturation in 1.5) which gives the feeling from the old Doom. New LCDs display quite differentely comparing to CRTs. Or transparency--in advanced ports you can turn it on but only for whole element, while in Doom Retro sprites has been adjusted, for instance in soul sphere it looks more natural. And then there's blood in right colors (green and blue, apart from red). Or more intensive red on switches. It's actually a case of Exactly What It Says On The Tin--it's refined Doom. I think it works, because it's in hands of one person with a precise vision. It's an author's (auteur's?) project.

You don't like it? Cool. What is awesome about Doom, it's that everyone can find their own source port of choice. And there's no need for any kind of hostility.

Doom Retro is quite young project and still under a heavy development. Feedback is a good thing, but let it be a constructive feedback.

Old Post 07-21-14 09:53 #
Krazov is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Average

^
Indeed.

Doom Retro has now actually replaced Chocolate Doom for me. I use GZDoom for the fancy stuff and Doom Retro for the older school stuff. One advantage for me is that I can use my controller (and DR even has rumble support - take that GZDoom!)on both ports on my telly without any finicky adjustments.

PS: @ Brad: Is there any chance of supporting 5.1 surround sometime down the line? That would be cool. :)

Old Post 07-21-14 10:53 #
Average is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bradharding

Krazov said:

...lots of positive stuff...

This. Thanks again, Krazov! :)

Average said:
^
Indeed.

Doom Retro has now actually replaced Chocolate Doom for me. I use GZDoom for the fancy stuff and Doom Retro for the older school stuff. One advantage for me is that I can use my controller (and DR even has rumble support - take that GZDoom!)on both ports on my telly without any finicky adjustments.

PS: @ Brad: Is there any chance of supporting 5.1 surround sometime down the line? That would be cool. :)

Hmmm... 5.1... Well, I have been working on SDL2.0 support, which does allow 5.1, so maybe it'll make it into DOOM RETRO v1.666, whenever that will be...

Old Post 07-22-14 06:47 #
bradharding is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Face23785

Is there a way to bind the right mouse button so that I can hold it to run? If not, how do I turn always run on? I absolutely hate having to hold shift or any other key to run, I'd rather have it on the mouse or just have it enabled by default.

Pretty cool otherwise. A launcher would be great too, like where I could select which level I wanna play, unless I'm just being a dummy and missed it.

Old Post 07-24-14 10:04 #
Face23785 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

IIRC, capslock toggles always run on or off.

Old Post 07-24-14 10:09 #
plums is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bradharding

Yes, use capslock as plums said. As for the launcher, if you run doomretro.exe without any command-line parameters, a launcher will appear.

Old Post 07-24-14 10:14 #
Face23785

I don't get a launcher, unless I'm using the wrong term. Like the window that pops up when you run zdoom, lets you choose skill, start level etc.

Old Post 07-24-14 16:42 #
Face23785 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krazov
Green Marine

Doom Retro has simpler launcher, but if you are acustomed to ZDoom, then you can use ZDoom Launcher. Both ZDoom and Doom Retro use the command line parameters, so they are compatible on that field. I use it to manage all my source ports and WADs.

Old Post 07-24-14 16:45 #
Krazov is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Face23785

Oh awesome. I completely forgot that Source Port dropdown box was there. Thanks!

Old Post 07-25-14 07:47 #