Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.3
Pages (74): « First ... « 71 72 73 [74]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Well, I sure would be glad to see a longtics hack for -complevel 9!

Old Post 08-18-14 09:57 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Not sure if I've brought this issue up already, but I got reminded of it in a loosely related conversation...

The increased FOV in widescreen resolutions leaves dead zones at the sides of the screen where the BFG cone doesn't extend to. Classic HUD naturally marks the ends of the cone, but nowadays with Boom HUDs and no HUDs and extended HUDs, I thought perhaps some sort of toggleable indents at the top and the bottom of the screen could help players keep the targets in the killzone.

I brought this issue up with Zdaemon and Odamex devs some time ago, but I'm not sure it was a top priority for them... :(

Old Post 08-19-14 23:46 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

can't understand. screenshots?

Old Post 08-20-14 13:20 #
entryway is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mike.Reiner

He's talking about the kill radius when a BFG Ball explodes in the player's field of vision. It of course also will damage enemies the player can see at the same time. The classic status bar's ends serve as a marker for us to ensure that an enemy is inside the 'kill zone' when playing in widescreen. I think he just wants a line or something to exist where the edges of the classic status bar would be when using say.. the boom hud.

Old Post 08-24-14 18:27 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

Thanks for explanation.

Old Post 08-26-14 13:26 #
entryway is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Oh crap, I forgot I posted here, sorry. Mike explained it correctly, but it doesn't have to be a line drawn over the entire screen, it can be just a small marker at the bottom/top of the screen.

Old Post 08-26-14 13:43 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

PrBoom-Plus's software renderer blows up at extreme resolutions.

It works at 4228x3171, but fails at 4232x3174:
http://i.imgur.com/8AUKIEl.png
http://i.imgur.com/Nj1pN8q.png

You'll notice even in the one that "works", the sprites are all missing. That happens at an even lower resolution:

4020x3015 vs. 4024x3018:
http://i.imgur.com/9BzJFFP.png
http://i.imgur.com/VL5UmRw.png

You might say this is ridiculous, no one is ever playing Doom at those resolutions, who cares, and... sure, I guess, but at the same time, Dell IS coming out with a 5K (!) monitor: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ts-27-5k-panel/, and the game won't work correctly in what is soon to be an actual resolution a person could potentially be playing at.

Old Post 09-05-14 21:05 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

Linguica posted:
You might say this is ridiculous, no one is ever playing Doom at those resolutions, who cares, and... sure, I guess, but at the same time, Dell IS coming out with a 5K (!) monitor, [...] and the game won't work correctly in what is soon to be an actual resolution a person could potentially be playing at.
It does seem faintly ridiculous. But at the same time it is a stupid and arbitrary limit which exists for no good reason.

This bug has all the hallmarks of a sign overflow in some calculation somewhere and it turns out to be projectiony in R_SetViewSize, which overflows when SCREENWIDTH increases from 4228 to 4232.

[ We have (cheight * centerx * 320) which at 4:3 resolution with no view border is (SCREENHEIGHT * SCREENWIDTH/2 * 320). For overflow, H*W/2*320 > INT_MAX==2^31. That is, H*W > 2^32/320. At 4:3 aspect, H=3W/4 so 3W^2/4 > 2^32/320, or W^2 > 2^34/960. Thus W > 2^17/sqrt(960) ~ 4230.33. So that checks out. ]

Anyway projectiony being negative causes R_ScaleFromGlobalAngle to return nonsense (projectiony < 0 means num < 0, so it returns 256 as a fixed_t, i.e. 1/256 in fixed point) and all the walls disappear.

If I calculate projectiony using floating point, to avoid the overflow, a brief test at 4800x3600 displayed correctly.
code:
diff --git a/src/r_main.c b/src/r_main.c index c08f92d..42ced6d 100644 --- a/src/r_main.c +++ b/src/r_main.c @@ -833,7 +833,11 @@ void R_ExecuteSetViewSize (void) projection = wide_centerx<<FRACBITS; // proff 11/06/98: Added for high-res - projectiony = ((cheight * centerx * 320) / 200) / SCREENWIDTH * FRACUNIT; + // calculate projectiony as float to avoid overflow when SCREENWIDTH>4228 + projectiony = (fixed_t) + (((double) cheight * (double) centerx * 320.0) + / 200.0 / (double) SCREENWIDTH * (double) FRACUNIT); + // e6y: this is a precalculated value for more precise flats drawing (see R_MapPlane) viewfocratio = (1.6f * centerx / wide_centerx) / ((float)SCREENWIDTH / (float)cheight);
Thanks for writing those posts about R_ScaleFromGlobalAngle by the way, this probably would have taken a lot longer to figure out if I hadn't read them.

Old Post 09-06-14 23:20 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

RjY said:
If I calculate projectiony using floating point, to avoid the overflow, a brief test at 4800x3600 displayed correctly.

Since this is still integer math, wouldn't casting the values to int64_t instead of float/double have the same effect?

Old Post 09-08-14 06:29 #
fabian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kb1

You know, just a thought: These higher and higher resolution monitors are going to slow down Doom software rendering considerably, without much real benefit.

Sure, you be able to see all the pixels of that imp that's 2 miles away, but, is it useful? At 1920x1080x4 bpp, that's almost 8.3 Mb. But, at 4800x3600x4 bpp, that's 69 Mb! 8x throughput, for that clear 2 mile-away imp. Doom maps can only be so long in length...

Old Post 09-09-14 02:30 #
kb1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

You could say that about any FPS, really.

And I agree, I think effort is better spent making the GL renderer perfectly imitate the software "look" and then rely on that much better code for high resolutions. But there's still something cool to making more or less the "original" engine do ludicrous things.

Old Post 09-09-14 03:17 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

The distance across the doomspace (from corner to corner) is the equivalent of about 2 miles.

Old Post 09-09-14 03:34 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

Few days ago I fixed crash at 1x1 resolution. Now you say it fails at 4232x3174.

I've replaced calculation of projectiony with int64 math

Old Post 09-09-14 08:26 #
RjY
anARCHy

fabian said:
Since this is still integer math, wouldn't casting the values to int64_t instead of float/double have the same effect?
Well yes, but since R_SetViewSize was already using floating point for other calculations, I figured, what the hell...

kb1 said:
You know, just a thought: These higher and higher resolution monitors are going to slow down Doom software rendering considerably, without much real benefit.
Indeed, which is why I find it better to let software mode render the game at 640x480 and let my monitor take care of scaling/pillarboxing it to 1920x1200.

entryway said:
Few days ago I fixed crash at 1x1 resolution. Now you say it fails at 4232x3174.

I've replaced calculation of projectiony with int64 math

Cool, now we can go up to 277238946x207929210 before it will break again ;)

Old Post 09-09-14 08:59 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

entryway said:

Well, at least anything in between worked. ;)

Old Post 09-09-14 09:34 #
fabian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote