Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Crispy Doom 1.5 "Supernova" (Update: 18 Aug 2014)
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 7 [8]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fabian

Frankly, I cannot see why this should be a bug? If you keep pressing the ESC key, you keep sending keydown events (in SDL speech) and thus keep triggering the action assigned to that key. This is pretty much expected, no?

Old Post 09-14-14 08:53 #
fabian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

fabian said:
Frankly, I cannot see why this should be a bug? If you keep pressing the ESC key, you keep sending keydown events (in SDL speech) and thus keep triggering the action assigned to that key. This is pretty much expected, no?

Source ports usually don't do that.

Old Post 09-14-14 10:57 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

joe-ilya said:

Source ports usually don't do that.

I see. This seems to be because Choco does set SDL_EnableKeyRepeat() -- since nearly exactly 8 years:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/...6fa016f31d71996

I am considering to remove that call. Does anyone know about any undesirable side-effects this might casue?

Old Post 09-15-14 09:54 #
fabian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

sector666 said:
When using the minimal hud is there any way to move the hud info there closer to the bottom?

Alternatively, how would you like if the empty space at the bottom got filled up by moving the messages line there?

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/bottomtext.png

Don't panic, this is just an experiment, not commited code! ;)

Old Post 09-15-14 16:02 #
plums

fabian said:
I see. This seems to be because Choco does set SDL_EnableKeyRepeat() -- since nearly exactly 8 years:

I am considering to remove that call. Does anyone know about any undesirable side-effects this might casue?

Would affect arrow keys in menus and menu sliders (e.g. sound effects volume) probably.

Old Post 09-15-14 19:43 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sector666

fabian said:
Alternatively, how would you like if the empty space at the bottom got filled up by moving the messages line there?
I think it's an interesting change, although I'm not sure if other people would like it or not.

Thinking about it a bit more I'm pretty sure what bugged me is I'm too used to Doom 64's minimal hud. The numbers there aren't fully opaque (probably about 25% transparent). It's subtle but that seems to make the floating numbers not stand out so much, while not impacting the readability too bad either. I don't know if you'd be willing to have an option for semi transparent numbers on the minimal hud.

Old Post 09-16-14 04:29 #
sector666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

plums said:
Would affect arrow keys in menus and menu sliders (e.g. sound effects volume) probably.

Indeed, it seems that only the menu itself is affected by this change. I could live with the fact that I have to tap sliders for every step instead of holding down a key (which is generally utterly imprecise, anyway). On the other hand, I could also live with the fact that the menu flickers when I keep holding ESC. However, I think the latter is more confusing and other source ports don't behave like this, so it's the lesser of two evils. Will be fixed in the next release.

sector666 said:
I think it's an interesting change, although I'm not sure if other people would like it or not.

A bit too disruptive, maybe. This is the patch, if you want to try it out:

code:
--- a/hu_stuff.c +++ b/hu_stuff.c @@ -507,6 +507,12 @@ void HU_Drawer(void) if (crispy_translucency && screenblocks > CRISPY_HUD && !automapactive) dp_translucent = true; + // [crispy] move messages into the empty space below the status bar numbers + if (screenblocks >= CRISPY_HUD && !automapactive) + w_message.l->y = 200 - SHORT(hu_font[0]->height + 3); + else + w_message.l->y = HU_MSGY; + V_ClearDPTranslation(); HUlib_drawSText(&w_message); dp_translation = cr[CR_GOLD];

Thinking about it a bit more I'm pretty sure what bugged me is I'm too used to Doom 64's minimal hud. The numbers there aren't fully opaque (probably about 25% transparent). It's subtle but that seems to make the floating numbers not stand out so much, while not impacting the readability too bad either. I don't know if you'd be willing to have an option for semi transparent numbers on the minimal hud.

Translucent HUD is already implemented in GIT and will be part of the next release:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/...-doom/issues/39

:-)

Old Post 09-16-14 05:39 #
Jimi

Could there be some options for the colored blood? I like it on cacodemons and barons/knights.. but I'd like regular red blood on spectres and lost souls.

Also noticed the colored HUD numbers are not used with custom HUDs.

Old Post 09-16-14 17:51 #
Jimi is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

Jimi said:
Could there be some options for the colored blood? I like it on cacodemons and barons/knights.. but I'd like regular red blood on spectres and lost souls.

Phew, that would drift a bit too much into micro-managing. I prefer reasonable defaults (and I think they are in this case) and features either on or off over thousands of options for everything.

Also noticed the colored HUD numbers are not used with custom HUDs.

This has been reported:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/...-doom/issues/48

The main reason is that Crispy's color conversion is based on Boom's and that does only apply to the red range. However, any attempts to extend it to other color ranges lead to ugly results so far and were not worth the extra involement they caused.

Old Post 09-16-14 18:00 #