Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Archive cleanup
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 6 [7]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ty Halderman
Essential Pillar of the Community

Rez said:
So where are you exiling the trapwads?
They're not exiled. They're identified for the 2 weeks they're in newstuff but beyond that they're in the regular tree. No plan to do that either, which answers your next question :)

Old Post 08-07-14 23:32 #
Ty Halderman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Ty Halderman said:
Feel free to read the post a couple above yours about trapwads. It is not a terrywad.

Yes it is, it's got the SOMEMONG texture, the loud obnoxious noise and the death trap. Here's the scripting:

Spoiler:
script 1 (void)
{
SetMusic("howhee");
Teleport_NoFog(1);
while(true)
{
setfont("bigfont");
HudMessage(s:"SOME FUCKING CAT PUT THEIR BALLS ON THE BROCCOLI CALL THE CARN POLICE";hudmsg_plain,1,random(0,20),random(0.000,1.000),random(0.000,1.000),0.0);
ThrustThing(random(0,256),random(600,1000),1,0);
ThrustThingZ(0,random(100,1000),random(0,1),random(0,1));
Delay(1);
ReplaceTextures("BROCCOLI","TERRY");
setfont("bigfont");
HudMessage(s:"SOME FUCKING CAT PUT THEIR BALLS ON THE BROCCOLI CALL THE CARN POLICE";hudmsg_plain,1,random(0,20),random(0.000,1.000),random(0.000,1.000),0.0);
Delay(1);
ReplaceTextures("TERRY","SHOTACAT");
setfont("bigfont");
Delay(1);
ReplaceTextures("SHOTACAT","CARNEVIL");
setfont("bigfont");
Delay(1);
ReplaceTextures("CARNEVIL","BROCCOLI");
}
}

I'm, uhh, pretty sure it fits the criteria. :/

Old Post 08-07-14 23:59 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Breezeep

I have a feeling that these "de-terrified" wads could possibly flood the archive. Take this one for example: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?f...s-u/uacvegf.zip

Old Post 08-08-14 03:28 #
Breezeep is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rez

Breezeep said:
I have a feeling that these "de-terrified" wads could possibly flood the archive. Take this one for example: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?f...s-u/uacvegf.zip

And there you have another reason I think they should be segregated under /Trollwads immediately upon discovery, rather than ever hitting Newstuff or ever being in the main tree.

If they fail to get the desired visibility, and cannot possibly collect unwitting eyeballs, there's less motivation to flood the archive.

Old Post 08-08-14 03:39 #
Rez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman

Somebody want to take this job over? Otherwise I've fully explained my position and will follow it. Sorry, but I'm just tired of being told what to do when I'm trying to do my best. There are hundreds of wads out there in the archive that aren't "nice" but I am not about to go back through them and move things around.

The classification of a terrywad file is for specific reasons, and I have outlined them before. This file does NOT include that, and it's getting way more time in the community than it deserves. How about the "ignore" concept, guys??!

Old Post 08-08-14 05:20 #
Ty Halderman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Ty Halderman said:
How about the "ignore" concept, guys??!
Interesting concept, though I don't know if the Internet generation is ready for it. Unfortunately, like any successful parasite the Terrywad crew appear to have adapted to the revised admission guidelines with alacrity. I suspect their goal is to submit wads that don't quite qualify for inclusion in /terrywads, since they know the butthurt is strong in this community.

Old Post 08-08-14 07:33 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Imback55
Warming Up

I thought The UAC Vegetable Factory was rejected because it had no gameplay and had an instantaneous trap. I will agree with you on the ignore concept which the Doom community does not use whatsoever. It seems that they enjoy complaining about Terrywads instead of actually ignoring them.

Old Post 08-08-14 08:37 #
Imback55 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman

Imback55 said:
I thought The UAC Vegetable Factory was rejected because it had no gameplay and had an instantaneous trap. I will agree with you on the ignore concept which the Doom community does not use whatsoever. It seems that they enjoy complaining about Terrywads instead of actually ignoring them.
It was rejected for that reason, so the "author" threw in a room that you start out in and reuploaded. I don't like that and it's BS and we all know it, but whadyagonnado? I could reject any trap wads outright, but I'm sure that would stir the pot too, and arguments would ensue about "how trapped are you?" and they'd keep experimenting until they could get around that one.

I still maintain that I should not be a judge of quality (but unplayable is a non-quality-related criterion); this is an archive and should include the community's creations for better or worse, so long as they pass the mandatory guidelines (mostly from id or lawyers). Now I suggest if we want to discuss wad quality that it be done in another thread; maybe the community that cares about content can do something else... oh, how about a review/comments place on some website that has enough rules around it to keep the spam out?!

Old Post 08-08-14 12:50 #
Memfis
Forum Spammer

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/in.../p-r/q2doom.zip
I guess this should be in ports.

Old Post 08-11-14 23:11 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman

Memfis said:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/in.../p-r/q2doom.zip
I guess this should be in ports.

It is... sorta:
code:
2008/02/24 2528 levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/q2doom.txt 2008/02/24 10261128 levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/q2doom.zip 2007/08/20 2524 levels/doom2/p-r/q2doom.txt 2007/08/20 10125439 levels/doom2/p-r/q2doom.zip

Removed the earlier one from 2007.

Old Post 08-12-14 00:37 #
Stephen312
Warming Up

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/in...s-u/uacvegf.zip - If this is rejected, then why is it still on idgames?

Old Post 08-30-14 06:33 #
Stephen312 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman

Because it was reuploaded with a starting room. Try scrolling up about 3 posts and work on your reading comprehension.

Old Post 08-30-14 11:04 #
Csonicgo

Ty Halderman said:
It was rejected for that reason, so the "author" threw in a room that you start out in and reuploaded. I don't like that and it's BS and we all know it, but whadyagonnado? I could reject any trap wads outright, but I'm sure that would stir the pot too, and arguments would ensue about "how trapped are you?" and they'd keep experimenting until they could get around that one.

I still maintain that I should not be a judge of quality (but unplayable is a non-quality-related criterion); this is an archive and should include the community's creations for better or worse, so long as they pass the mandatory guidelines (mostly from id or lawyers). Now I suggest if we want to discuss wad quality that it be done in another thread; maybe the community that cares about content can do something else... oh, how about a review/comments place on some website that has enough rules around it to keep the spam out?!

Quite simple: /idgames web interface should either: Disallow anonymous reviews and votes, or if that's too harsh, have anonymous votes and reviews hidden by default. That'll shut them up.

Old Post 09-07-14 23:03 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ETTiNGRiNDER
Mini-Member

More Heretic stuff that should be in the ports subdir. It's been a while since I went through and made this list, I just got sidetracked in making the report. Most of them were pretty straightforward (an immediate lockup or bomb out, often stuff like "too many mace spots", "too many ambient sounds", etc) or it's mentioned in the text that a port is required, but if you want me to recheck any for the specific incompatibility with vanilla I can do so.

Spoiler:

levels/heretic/a-c/alfa2.zip
levels/heretic/a-c/alfa3.zip
levels/heretic/a-c/cookies.zip
levels/heretic/d-f/dai-dung.zip
levels/heretic/d-f/db_tac.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hfruit_h.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hoc.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hoc2.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hoc3.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hocx.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hof.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/hotsaint.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/htdc_rf3.zip
levels/heretic/g-i/ice-lutz.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/mondamrh.zip
levels/heretic/m-o/om2.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/pc_ls.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/portals.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/remote.zip
levels/heretic/p-r/rotml.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/sinful.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/steeple.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/tdtgaua.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/tlotbt.zip
levels/heretic/s-u/tltemple.zip
levels/heretic/v-z/wimpy_x.zip

Also, levels/heretic/g-i/heretech.zip is either ports or /combos (it's a weapon mod).

Is there a particular reason that Hexen doesn't have a ports subdir?

Old Post 09-16-14 16:31 #
ETTiNGRiNDER is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ty Halderman

ETTiNGRiNDER said:
More Heretic stuff that should be in the ports subdir. It's been a while since I went through and made this list, I just got sidetracked in making the report. Most of them were pretty straightforward (an immediate lockup or bomb out, often stuff like "too many mace spots", "too many ambient sounds", etc) or it's mentioned in the text that a port is required, but if you want me to recheck any for the specific incompatibility with vanilla I can do so.
I think we discussed these before and I didn't get back to them. All moved to Ports (there are no alpha subtrees under Ports for Heretic so they're all in one pile).

Also, levels/heretic/g-i/heretech.zip is either ports or /combos (it's a weapon mod).
Combos is only intended for DOOMx wads so it's been moved to heretic/Ports.

Is there a particular reason that Hexen doesn't have a ports subdir?
In hindsight I wish there had never been a Ports concept but they were rare and different at the time. If anyone really cares about running pure vanilla they're few and far between at this point but the archives are what they are and I'm not about to break thousands of links to shuffle them around. Hexen only has a couple hundred wads total anyway--don't need to split them up further and probably didn't need to separate them alphabetically anyway; it was just the way it was done.

Old Post 09-17-14 04:12 #