Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Going Down: final episode has arrived
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 10 [11]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mouldy

plums said:
That's GLBoom+. I might have tweaked the lighting settings recently, can't remember. Which monsters should be in the shadows, all of them?

And yeah, I'm not surprised if there are some missing textures in there, I imagine getting that all working properly was quite the ordeal.

Right, glboom seems to have its own ideas about brightness. The HOMs have been fixed, but the problem I have now is that I'm using action 261 to change the ceiling brightness to dark, and in prboom that makes all the items black even though the floor they are on is still bright. Zdoom seems to use whichever brightness the sector itelf is at for lighting items and monsters, regardless of action 261. And glboom just doesn't seem to give a shit either way and makes everything bright.

So I either have weird bright patches on the ceiling in glboom/zdoom or weird dark items on the floor in prboom..

Old Post 09-22-14 23:49 #
mouldy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

Huh, weird. Maybe post in the PrBoom+ thread? That sounds kind of like a bug. I wonder how original boom.exe handles that linetype, I would imagine it's the same as PrBoom+ in software mode but I've never tried.

Old Post 09-23-14 00:00 #
plums is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

Ok, its slightly weirder than I realised. This shot is from the exact same map in 3 different ports

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/79ca/8z82s9bxzcq2odw5g.jpg

Seems like each one has different priorities about which brightness to use for items/monsters. I've no idea which one is correct, so who is to say which is a bug and which isn't.

Monsters on the left are in a sector with zero brightness and floor special to 192 brightness
monsters in the middle are in a sector with 192 brightness and ceiling/floor specials to zero brightness
medkits on the right are in sector with 192 brightness and ceiling special to zero brightness.

Old Post 09-23-14 01:05 #
mouldy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

since you've made a demo map already, can you post it and I'll try it in some other ports?

Old Post 09-23-14 01:56 #
plums is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dobu gabu maru

Aha, of course Demon and Ribbiks get through MAP24 unscathed :P I think my initial gripes with it really were based on how I saved myself into an utterly abysmal situation while playing. I wonder what they would think of the original, slightly more cramped rendition. Anyway, I did a goofy little marathon on HNTR/continuous and just wrote up some thoughts.

MAP01: I’d change the green armor to blue since the zombiemen are surprisingly vicious on this level.

MAP02: Played fine, no problems. Once the player has a good footing on continuous the first half of the megawad usually becomes quite relaxed.

MAP03: Easier than the other maps here but it’s still pretty fun. I’m guessing it’ll be startling for HNTR players to have to rely on the chainsaw so much.

MAP04: IMO on both HNTR and HMP I’d make sure both cacos are there to come out of the windows after you pick up the RL, because the encounter is rather toothless otherwise.

MAP05: Out of all the things to die to, my first death comes to a fucking pinky. Little too much rocket ammo here, but playing continuously means that I’ll wind up being overstocked anyway.

MAP06: No issues with this one—the surplus of rockets let me be a little wild and almost blow myself up, but there was usually enough health to patch that up. This is definitely the first map that gives the player a hint of what is to come (regarding the insane monster warp-ins).

MAP07: This is alright, but I think it needs two things—since the soulsphere is handed right at the start I think you could put another manc down below (it’s really light at the start as is), and I think you should remove two revs from the post-blue key fight and put in like 4-6 cacos instead (just so the player has meatier enemies to soak up damage, as the revs go down fast and finish the map on a whimper). You could also probably remove 10 rockets on skills 2 & 3 too.

MAP08: It’s silly playing some of these maps with the claws ripped out of them. The pinkie rush at the end is actually a good fight on HNTR though.

MAP09: As opposed to MAP06, the big warp-in is actually really manageable as long as you know to use the side passage ways. Not sure that anything really needs to change for HNTR… maybe a few zombiemen or something to come out with the chaingunners when you tap one of the switches.

MAP10: It’s fun playing these old maps and remembering “oh yeah, here’s where I got destroyed”. This map is actually pretty tough on HNTR—I think the spot where the megasphere comes down at the end might be a bit too obscure when all the fighting is going on. Perhaps you could remove a rev in the post-RL fight too, but then again I guess the wad has to show it’s fangs at some point.

MAP11: Good call with the invul. I had a surprisingly smooth time here, mainly because the cyber battle went so well. Only thing you could change was maybe switching a few of the revs post-yellow key to HKs, but it’s not that dire of a thing considering there’s a lot of health around to patch the player up If need be.

MAP12: This one gets a bit crazy with all the warp-ins… wound up dying quite a bit. Either needs less bulky monsters or probably a megasphere down in the pit for players.

MAP13: The stairs don’t hold the same terror this time around as I never had to back into a corner. Fine level on HNTR, the pit is definitely the toughest spot but I’m not sure any of it needs changing.

MAP14: Had a pretty smooth time through this one too—I think there’s a bit too many pinkies at the PG trap (the one in the middle of the map), but otherwise it plays well. You could also probably add another arach at the mastermind platform.

I saved over my MAP15 start so I'm taking a break. It's a surprisingly quick series of maps to speed through.

Old Post 09-23-14 02:15 #
dobu gabu maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

plums said:
since you've made a demo map already, can you post it and I'll try it in some other ports?

I think what i'll do is make a post about it on the editing forum and see if any experts there can shed some light on it, I'll post a demo map there.

dobu gabu maru said:
Aha, of course Demon and Ribbiks get through MAP24 unscathed :P I think my initial gripes with it really were based on how I saved myself into an utterly abysmal situation while playing. I wonder what they would think of the original, slightly more cramped rendition. Anyway, I did a goofy little marathon on HNTR/continuous and just wrote up some thoughts.

Interestingly, both Demon and Ribbiks totally ignored the extra space I added, and the cybers and hordes from the other tower virtually obliterated each other. I've been tinkering with map24, its hard to test though because it seems to be so random its different every time I play, but removing one of the masterminds and adding another cyber seems to liven things up a bit. You will still be totally stuffed if you save in the wrong place I guess (or just get some bad luck), hopefully the map is short enough that starting again isn't so bad.

Cheers for the HNTR run through, I had a go myself the other day and managed the whole thing in an hour. I like to think of easy setting as the one your mum could play, though I also found its a good setting for brutal doom (UV is kind of unplayable with that mod). I didn't expend that much effort in balancing the lower difficulties so your feedback will be very useful.

Old Post 09-23-14 13:11 #
Cell

mouldy said:
Cool, looks like you are having more fun on lower difficulty. I guess map22 is some kind of giant toilet for the monster you were previously running around inside.

I suppose that's a futuristic toilet with all the machinery around and inside.

Old Post 09-23-14 17:10 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote