Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v1.4 Release (updated 3/20/14)
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 6 [7]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
40oz
Forum Spammer

I'm sorry I didn't take the time to read all the posts in this thread, but what I gathered from my skimming is that the lost souls front facing idle/moving animation got touched up to look a little better, and this project fixes this by replacing it with the unedited version?

wouldn't the correct course of action be to edit the remaining frames to better match the new front facing one? Or is that too much into the subjectivity part of the argument that's being disputed here?

just saying, many people have said they like the "scary" unedited version of the revenant before it got its shading redone and colors mapped better. I'd think the "finished" part of the sprite set is the one to model your fixes after imo.

Old Post 08-27-14 17:24 #
40oz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Revert one sprite, or redraw four sprites, which is the simplest choice, decisions, decisions...

Old Post 08-27-14 17:28 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

make an advanced installer that asks you do you want the shitty lost souls or the cool ones

Old Post 08-27-14 17:44 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Updating the whole LS set to match v1.666 updated sprites is a lot of work, preferably for a very skilled artist. I'd say, the only thing that needed to be done is to fix the animation problems of those newer sprites, and it's done already.

Old Post 08-27-14 17:44 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Gez said:
simplest

I didn't read that as the project goal.

Old Post 08-27-14 18:01 #
40oz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

Easiest solution - just show up at Adrian's house.
Dude's probably bored from sitting in front of his little Stonehenge anyways.
Try your luck.

Old Post 08-27-14 18:12 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Revenant100 said:
Since every single other art difference introduced in 1.666 is a demonstrable error, it is highly unlikely that this one instance which bears the same markings of an unintentional reversion to an earlier unfinished sprite revision is not an error as well.

Also going by "simple logic," it is similarly highly unlikely that one of id's artists going to the trouble of specifically updating only these two frames would also introduce quite blatant jittering and flickering errors into the art in the process.

Hue hue hue.

Now that we know it wasn't an error, let me tell you how it went. I know for certain, because I follow even simpler logic that is in accordance with everything we know about id. They kept looking at the horribly square, flat, symmetrical lost soul and they hated it. Someone said "This thing looks like Wayne Rooney in 15 years, we can't have that." But Adrian didn't have enough time to rework the whole set, so he changed just the angles that mattered. "It's not like someone will study every pixel religiously," he thought to himself. And that's the story of how changing just a few frames is more probable than reverting them accidentally.

Old Post 08-27-14 18:39 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PSTrooper
Warming Up

If I was working on Doom as a sprite artist, I'm not going to waste time and just get what actually does need fixing done. The same could be applied here. Why change something that pretty much everyone has grown used to. People don't like change.

Old Post 08-27-14 20:05 #
PSTrooper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

One thing I do like about the old LS over the new one is the eyebrow ridge. It looks way too flat in the new one.

Also, I take issue with the trimmed intermission screen blood splat sprites and the realigned weapon animations. I actually think it's kind of neat how the weapons are slightly off-center. Note how it's usually to the right, implying that Doomguy is trying to center it but it veers a little due to holding most of the weapons with his right hand. As for the splats, the allegedly fixed version looks too small, and I don't think the dark brown shades are a problem as Doom's palette is pretty weak when it comes to darker shades of red.

Old Post 08-27-14 22:48 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Sodaholic said:
As for the splats, the allegedly fixed version looks too small, and I don't think the dark brown shades are a problem as Doom's palette is pretty weak when it comes to darker shades of red.

They're actually dark green for some reason.

I think that replacing them with dark brown shades would be an adequate solution.

Old Post 08-27-14 23:20 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Da Werecat said:
They're actually dark green for some reason.

I think that replacing them with dark brown shades would be an adequate solution.

They're green? Huh, odd, I didn't notice. I just did a manual translation using the desaturated red range and I think it looks pretty nice, and very close in shade to the original.

How's this?

http://i.imgur.com/GQfECxs.png

Old Post 08-28-14 00:14 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PSTrooper
Warming Up

Sodaholic said:
How's this?

http://i.imgur.com/GQfECxs.png

It's been done before.

Da Werecat said:
Check these out, I kept the volumes:

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/Doom/WIURH0.png

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/Doom/WISPLAT.png

Old Post 08-28-14 08:15 #
PSTrooper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Hey, this thread has been quiet recently.

I wonder if you've considered including a small DEHACKED lump in your sprite fix WADs to tweak the firing frames of the Zombieman and Cyberdemon? All the other monsters are drawn at full brightness when they fire their weapons, but for some reason those two monsters are not.

I put together a simple patch that does what I describe:

https://soulsphere.org/random/litefix.deh

Old Post 09-28-14 00:51 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

fraggle said:
Hey, this thread has been quiet recently.

I wonder if you've considered including a small DEHACKED lump in your sprite fix WADs to tweak the firing frames of the Zombieman and Cyberdemon? All the other monsters are drawn at full brightness when they fire their weapons, but for some reason those two monsters are not.

I put together a simple patch that does what I describe:

https://soulsphere.org/random/litefix.deh

Great job! Never realized this before I began working with your code base... 17 years after I first played Doom.
Big "dang, how could I have missed that" moment for me.

Old Post 09-28-14 13:19 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote