Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]
Pages (522): « First ... « 519 520 521 [522]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

josh, that HUD actually doesn't look too bad though IMO :X

Old Post 11-12-14 23:01 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
durian

I've been experimenting with ways of keeping the player from backing out of a 'hold the breach' scenario, going on in the, uh, brown room - this means stopping them from running back down the connecting corridor. This is what I've settled on so far:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28198906/DW/Screenshot_Doom_20141112_231243.jpg

Corridor narrows, two bollards raise, and two arachnotrons spawn - the bollards keep the arachnotrons in place, blocking the corridor, and their attack gives the player an incentive to keep away from the corridor entrance - more fun than just locking them in :)

Old Post 11-12-14 23:20 #
durian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Another slightly tidier idea would be to replace the bollards with 2 thin sectors that lower into the ground by at least 25 units: obviously these won't stop the player, but it will pen in the Arachnotron considering monsters won't go over a sector with a height difference of more than 24. It's sort of like a monster blocking line you can control and if you mark the lines as hidden and keep them untextured it's completely undetectable.

Old Post 11-13-14 00:50 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
durian

Ooh, nice idea. I'm in two minds about whether I want the blocking force to be visible or not - I don't want the player to think they might have a chance of coaxing the spiders out - but I'll have a play. Thanks! :)

Old Post 11-13-14 01:02 #
durian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Egregor

durian said:
I've been experimenting with ways of keeping the player from backing out of a 'hold the breach' scenario, going on in the, uh, brown room - this means stopping them from running back down the connecting corridor. This is what I've settled on so far:

Corridor narrows, two bollards raise, and two arachnotrons spawn - the bollards keep the arachnotrons in place, blocking the corridor, and their attack gives the player an incentive to keep away from the corridor entrance - more fun than just locking them in :)

What I like about this idea, unlike 'block monster' or lowered sectors, is that other monsters can move around the bollards just fine.

Old Post 11-13-14 02:35 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Egregor said:

What I like about this idea, unlike 'block monster' or lowered sectors, is that other monsters can move around the bollards just fine.

I suppose you could always have the bollard lower instead of raise so small monsters can still get around. :)

Old Post 11-13-14 07:47 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Closed, since the forum software can't handle a thread of this size. Post in Part 2 instead.

Old Post 11-13-14 12:49 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote