Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - THIRD BETA RELEASED! Download now!
Pages (28): « First ... « 25 26 27 [28]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlueFeena

I strongly encourage you to play MAP25 with a software renderer of some kind. Many of the visual effects will not work in OpenGL, rendering the map crippled and difficult to play. Regardless, have fun with the rest of the wad and thank you for giving us a playthrough!

Edit: I'm stupid, I just checked and everything works fine in OpenGL (GZDoom 1.9 pre-release version.) Pay no attention to me!

Old Post 11-21-14 16:59 #
BlueFeena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Suitepee

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5541861 = part 3 of my playthrough (pistol start), covering maps 24-30.

Five Rooms of Doom gets 2 out of 5 from me in conclusion. Overall there is some quality to be had here, but the feel of meh/awkward maps far outweighs the positive stuff here to some degree in this megawad. Sorry Keeper of Jericho.

Map 29 is complete bullshit in my opinion. It's either incomplete or horribly flawed. I'd love to see a video of anyone beating the beta3 version of it, so I can figure out how the heck anyone is meant to tackle that god awful map w/o cheating. Replaces Du Mhan Yhu's "3 Ways From Hell" as the worst map I've ever played in Doom, sorry Joseph Lord. (your map 26 was good though, liked the stealth trickery. You seem a good mapper.)

BlueFeena's map 25 was pretty interesting, and I especially liked the shotgun/Archvile invisible maze. My second favourite map of the megawad behind Scypek2's 'Space Quarry'.

Map 30 was kind of weird just ending that easily, but I'm happy to have an easy IoS fight after dealing with some awkwardness in this final part. I did have Fuzzball thankfully offer to fix the textures not working in the version Cacowad linked in the thread, but it's apparently an easy fix.

Corsair's 'puzzle' on map 28 is stupid, even with the solution somewhat provided via a secret switch. If that puzzle was tweaked, his map would be decent. Even Corsair himself admitted his map was awkward in the stream.

And that's all from me! Hope the final version is better, and I hope my playthrough has provided some good feedback.

Last edited by Suitepee on 11-21-14 at 23:43

Old Post 11-21-14 23:27 #
Suitepee is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cacowad

I just connected as you finished the stream, so now i am watching the replay, and about the map... yeah... i should have mentioned that the textures were not included (since it is supposed to eventually go inside the complete wad, so re-adding the textures would be a bit silly), thank you for finishing the whole thing.

It is a bit on the easy side, because on how it was made in the first place (a big circular room, yeee...) so it was or impossible using the spawners or too easy without, i went on the too easy for obvious reasons. Also it was just a pain to revisit as a whole.

Probably last edit, i have to put some monster blocking lines in the first room.

And yes, 2/5 is appropriate for the whole mapset imho...

Last edited by Cacowad on 11-21-14 at 23:56

Old Post 11-21-14 23:51 #
Cacowad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

If so, I don't have a clue how the Chaingunners and Sergeants warp into the first room of MAP17 right upon opening the door. Did it occur to anyone else on any port? For me, it didn't.

Old Post 11-22-14 00:22 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote