Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Crispy Doom 2.1 (Update: 12 Nov 2014)
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 8 [9]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fabian

fraggle said:
So I'm hitting that ball back into your court :)

But it lands out of bounds, sorry.

XCOPY, if you feel that network play with Chocolate Doom feels generally sloppy, maybe you should try the alternative network timing code. I think it has become the default in 2.1, have you tried with this version? Does this improve your experience?

Old Post 12-01-14 15:27 #
fabian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Other way round, I'm afraid. Chocolate Doom has had "improved" network timing/sync code since I introduced the rewritten networking code back in v0.1.something. But there have been a whole load of problems with it and people understandably complaining. Because of that, I've switched back to the "old" sync code for the time being.

The old sync code was previously available with the -oldsync parameter; now it's reversed and the new sync code is available with -newsync instead. I still plan to come back to the -newsync code and try to fix it in some later version, but for the time being I figure it's better to have something that at least works reliably, even if old sync has issues itself.

But what XCOPY is asking for is really unrelated to this. He wants client side movement prediction, which eliminates the delay between inputs being sampled (G_BuildTiccmd) and the ticcmd being run with G_Ticker. Most modern games do this and all the "multiplayer" source ports (Odamex, Zdaemon, etc.) also do it. SMMU had an implementation of this as well so if you're intrigued at all then maybe take a look at the code. But I can't really add it to Chocolate Doom because it does change the gameplay experience somewhat.

Old Post 12-01-14 16:32 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote