Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v1.5 Release (updated 12/13/14)
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 8 [9]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
_bruce_

Agree with the lost soul being a expressive monster - the lost soul's face perfectly portraits the realization of life ending during the final moments... almost eerie.
The early steel skulls looked pretty stupid... something like an aborted cat-ear cyborg.

The final artwork is amazing though.

Old Post 12-19-14 12:36 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Triple_sSs
Green Marine

How about we do a vote? Maybe we could add a poll to the thread on which Lost Soul should be used and/or what edits should be done to it, and go from there.

Old Post 12-20-14 00:54 #
Triple_sSs is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica

As the author of the mod, Revenant100 can ultimately do what he wants. If you want to keep the "normal" Lost Soul, it is trivial to just delete the replacement frames from the WAD.

Old Post 12-20-14 00:57 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Onslaught Six
Mini-Member

Linguica said:
As the author of the mod, Revenant100 can ultimately do what he wants. If you want to keep the "normal" Lost Soul, it is trivial to just delete the replacement frames from the WAD.

A thousand times this. If you prefer the original sprite, you literally have to delete one frame from the wad.

You do have a point when you pointed out that these features are missing from the rest of the sprites, most notably the charging sprites. But wouldn't it make more sense to edit the rest of the sprites to match the 1.666 face, while fixing the obvious "jitter" on the horns and chin? And someone here actively offered to do this work, I suggest going with it.

No one is stopping that volunteer from making those sprites himself and releasing them independently.

Last edited by Onslaught Six on 12-20-14 at 11:48

Old Post 12-20-14 11:43 #
Onslaught Six is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Szymanski

Great work Revenant100

Old Post 12-20-14 13:42 #
Szymanski is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant100

Csonicgo said:r
But wouldn't it make more sense to edit the rest of the sprites to match the 1.666 face, while fixing the obvious "jitter" on the horns and chin?
This is contrary to the aim of remaining as minimally intrusive as possible when it comes to manual art edits. A majority of the art modifications in this pack are literally just a handful of pixels per sprite. As I mentioned before, there are only two main options in regards to the Lost Soul sprites that fit within the scope of the project: either include the pre-1.666 version sprites or do nothing, effectively retaining the 1.666 version.

If you do not agree with my judgement concerning the 1.666 sprites as being an erroneous introduction, then then I offer you to view the circumstances in a different manner: the 1.666 Lost Soul sprites pose a marked inconsistency in relation to its accompanying rotations and other sequence frames. This is not a supposition; this is a genuinely demonstrable matter. Of the two options I see available, one addresses this inconsistency while the other maintains it. I chose to go with the path that fixes the inconsistency which, I must reiterate, is achieved entirely with id's own untouched artwork.

And as has been pointed out, it is very simple for one to remove the offending 1.1 Lost Soul sprites from their own personal copy if they so desire. That is certainly an intended use of the pack.

It wouldn't be an extreme art change, as we've seen the v1.666 lost soul for over a decade and a half. staying with the v1.1 lost soul, however, is an extreme art change, hence the backlash.
I don't think becoming used to an inconsistency is a valid reasoning to justify keeping it. Barring a few community contributions, these exact fixes could have very well been made back in 1994.

Linguica said:
As the author of the mod, Revenant100 can ultimately do what he wants.
To be clear, although I believe I've exhibited a due amount of effort in continuing to maintain this project over the years (has it been two years already?), the end result is not meant to be "what I want." This is absolutely an endeavor in which every aspect is tailored for the end user. My goal has always been to remain as objective as possible to provide a thorough, meticulous, and compatible resource for the community to use and enjoy. I have never allowed my personal preferences or desires to trump that purpose. Although not particularly relevant to the technical side of things, this WAD is very much a celebration of the game I've grown up admiring so much and the fans that have kept its legacy everlasting.

Pardon me for waxing philosophical for a moment, but the game and the community has always been in the forefront of my mind when it comes to this project.

Old Post 12-21-14 02:56 #
Revenant100 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote