Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Odamex Saturday Nitro #1

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:51. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ralphis
IDL Founder

The first official Odamex Saturday Nitro will take place this Saturday evening. The WAD used this week will be the latest entry from the popular Doomworld organized series, 32in24-10. Expect the boundaries of Doom multiplayer to be pushed to the limit as the server will feature a maximum player limit of 100!

WAD: 32in24-10
Maps: 32 (1-32)
Mode: FFA (40 Fraglimit)
Server: [Odamex.Net]

Date: Saturday, August 20th @ 8pm EASTERN

Be there Saturday night for a lot of easy to digest fun and a unique chance at making Doom history.

Old Post 08-18-11 17:41 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Edward850

Eastern? Which one? I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which time-zone you're actually talking about.

Old Post 08-19-11 00:27 #
Edward850 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Malinku

UTC - 5 hours

I'll be there for this one I've wanted to play 32in24-10 for a while.

Old Post 08-19-11 01:17 #
Malinku is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mandax
Warming Up

The third Odamex news post within nine days? With all due respect, I always had the feeling that DW was somewhat neutral towards each port, but this just looks very biased and does not seem right.
All three news items could have been part of a single news post from the start. If the latest Nitro post is worth a separate news post even when it was mentioned in the last Nitro thread already then it is only fair to post FNF, ZDS and FYBO each week as well.
Sorry to say this, but it looks to me like a really cheap trick to attract attention and it is really not worthy of a great project like Odamex to resort to such measures.

Old Post 08-19-11 11:19 #
mandax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

The thing is that I don't see any rejected FNF, ZDS or FYBO news here. Ralphis is busy promoting Odamex, good for him. If there aren't similar promotion for Skulltag or ZDaemon events, it's not because Doomworld is silencing them, it's just because nobody is doing that.

Besides, the announcement of a new version certainly deserved to be a separate item at least; since it is a different subject entirely.

Also, nothing says that it will remain a weekly news thing. If it were, my personal opinion would be to reject the news on the rational that there's altdeath for this kind of things. But if it's just the announcement and a first-time reminder, there's really no need to make a fuss about it.

Old Post 08-19-11 11:40 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ed

My sister's wedding is tomorrow. If I manage to log on, I will be severely drunk. Fair warning.

Old Post 08-19-11 14:49 #
Ed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HumanBones

There certainly won't be weekly news posts about it. I'm just trying to get the word out, and it's great that someone else is as enthusiastic about it. Each of these posts have linked to another forum, which is where you will find all the future Nitro posts. But how would you know that if I didn't tell you? :)

Old Post 08-19-11 16:14 #
HumanBones is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

This very well may be the first time I rear my ugly head in Doom's multiplayer... If that's the case, I'm prepared to die a lot.

Old Post 08-19-11 20:28 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ladna

If there are players like Snakes who don't have that much experience with Doom multiplayer, I highly recommend participating in Odamex Nitro. You'll get a lot of experience on some underplayed maps, meet new people, learn new tactics, really it'll be a lot of fun!

Old Post 08-19-11 20:43 #
Ladna is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

Snakes said:
This very well may be the first time I rear my ugly head in Doom's multiplayer... If that's the case, I'm prepared to die a lot.
I think I'll be showing up for this myself, though I've never been interested much by multiplayer Doom. At least it'll give me a solid excuse to finally check out Odamex, which I've been meaning to do for a while now.

I am also prepared to die a lot.

Old Post 08-19-11 21:17 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

Cool! Sadly (for me) this is the 32in24 I failed to make any maps for in time.

I am prepared to cry a lot.

Old Post 08-19-11 21:35 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
tm512
Green Marine

I intend to be there.

Old Post 08-20-11 04:55 #
tm512 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Edward850 said:
Eastern? Which one? I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which time-zone you're actually talking about.
For those of us in Eastern Australia it's 10am Sunday and should give the netcode a good test. I might poke my nose in and prepare to die a lot.

Old Post 08-20-11 07:29 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vulture

There were a few technical difficulties, but Odamex Nitro is up and running @ 66.170.3.2:10739

See you there!!!

Old Post 08-21-11 01:48 #
Vulture is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scet

Odamex said:
No available video device

Wonderful, there's finally people actually using this thing and it doesn't work. I've tried editing the config file, any advice?

Last edited by Scet on 08-21-11 at 14:10

Old Post 08-21-11 01:55 #
Scet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

I drove all the way home from New Jersey (about an hour and a half drive) to make it at least fashionably late to this event. Thank you everyone that participated for a very overwhelming and fulfilling experience. Did not expect more than 5 people to be playing by the time i got there. Anxiously awaiting future Odamex Nitros.

Old Post 08-21-11 02:58 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

Got done playing just now. Tons o' fun.

Old Post 08-21-11 03:12 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

Scet said:

Wonderful, there's finally people actually using this thing and it doesn't work. I've tried editing the config file, any advice?

I think proclaiming that it is a poorly made program isn't very fair considering it worked for 25+ other people in the game tonight, playing on Windows, Mac, Linux, and the XBox.

Can you give any information about your system? Did you try a reboot? This is the first time that I have ever heard of this error so I'm interested in trying to get your issue resolved. I'm not so sure it is an issue with Odamex but providing as much information as possible can maybe help lead to a quick solution for you

Old Post 08-21-11 06:56 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megalyth
I embrace change

That was fun, my first Doom deathmatch in quite a few years. Unfortunately, I had to drive somewhere, so I had to leave and I probably missed the best of it, but I'm looking forward to participating in more games in the future, even if I'm mostly just cannon fodder for the better players.

Old Post 08-21-11 07:00 #
Megalyth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

i had to quit pretty soon, because oda (server?) got unplayably laggy for me once more than 20 players were in. i certainly didn't expect such a massive attendance, heh. the maps were surprisingly good at soaking even that many players though and timeofdeath's map probably requires 20 at minimum. :)

Old Post 08-21-11 09:44 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scet

Ralphis said:
I think proclaiming that it is a poorly made program isn't very fair

Yes, you're right. I was frustrated when I wrote that.

Anyway I now remember that SDL will no longer work with the default DirectDraw driver on my computer. This is a video driver issue for my crappy built-in ATI device and there is no updated version for it.

Is there any way to edit the config to get Odamex to use GDI?

Old Post 08-21-11 14:15 #
Scet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dr. Sean
Green Marine

Scet said:

Is there any way to edit the config to get Odamex to use GDI?

Scet, you can either pass the -gdi command line parameter to Odamex when starting it up or you can set the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib. If you want to go with the later, the section "Adding or Editing Environment Variables" on this page looks to be a good tutorial: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Hope we can get things working for you!

Old Post 08-21-11 14:38 #
Dr. Sean is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scet

Thanks, it works now.

Old Post 08-21-11 15:38 #
HumanBones

I'm glad it was such a success! There won't be any server or lag issues next week, so hopefully that didn't turn anyone off. I was surprised at how many people showed up on IRC, so I'd like to encourage everyone to join #odamex on the OFTC network before each session! You may also want to register on the Odamex Forums. See you next week!

Old Post 08-21-11 19:56 #
HumanBones is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hyper_Eye
Warming Up

dew said:
i had to quit pretty soon, because oda (server?) got unplayably laggy for me once more than 20 players were in. i certainly didn't expect such a massive attendance, heh. the maps were surprisingly good at soaking even that many players though and timeofdeath's map probably requires 20 at minimum. :)

If anyone has the same lag issues that dew had it may be that you have an old config file. You should reset your config through the Odamex menus or check the "rate" value in your client.

Pull down the console and type

code:
rate

If the value is not 200,000 please type into the console:

code:
set rate 200000

The old default value of 10,000 is way too low for the amount of traffic that can be expected in Odamex 0.5.4.

Old Post 08-21-11 23:10 #
Hyper_Eye is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote