Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 2 instead]
Pages (88): « First ... « 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:23. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
myk
volveré y seré millones

^ Any reason why those aren't Doom compatible? (2002ADO is.)

In any case, finding them in the folder where I place demos I still need to watch, I had to come back to the thread to check out who recorded them because the text files don't say :p

(You can sign as vdgg, if you like, no problem.)

EDIT: Same goes for your PL2 Tyson, which I moved here as that thread's for (Final) Doom compatible demos (as per the title.) Keep up the good work, although in the future I recommend recording in the usual demo formats (Doom or Boom) according to what the WAD requires, if you don't mind, as it makes the demos fully comparable to most others.

Old Post 08-28-09 19:33 #
myk is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

yeah, vdgg never signs his textfiles...

Old Post 08-28-09 19:47 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

The 3 demos for 2002ADO were recorded with doom.wad version 1.9ud (12408292 Bytes), because it's the only version of doom.wad I have.

I was pretty sure the Tyson demo for pl2.wad was OK in terms of compatibility and posted in the right place. Isn't -iwad plutonia the same thing as -complevel 4?

Not signing my textfiles is dumb, of course, and will be corrected.

Old Post 08-28-09 20:36 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

The -iwad parameter simply selects the IWAD, the main WAD file to use, while the -complevel tells PrBoom itself how to behave as an engine and what demo format to use. Normally PrBoom has its own engine behavior, -complevel 17 or -1, which is roughly based on MBF, and has various settings that affect all sorts of different individual compatibility aspects, such as whether lost souls will bounce on the floor, how stairs are built, how things behave near ledges, whether pain elementals can spawn an infinite anount of lost souls, and so on. The lower compatibility levels, such as Doom (2-4) and Boom (9) ignore most of these individual settings and behave like doom.exe, doom2.exe or boom.exe, and produce demos that can be played back with those.

If you open your demos with a hex or text editor you'll see they start with Ö.MBFæ while Doom v1.9 demos start with an m, which is 6D in hexadecimal, or 109, which marks version "1.9" of Doom. If you try to play your demos with Doom or Chocolate Doom they will not find that "109" version marker and will close with the error "Demo is from a different game version!"

You can also see the two sticky threads about demo compatibility levels, for more info.

Old Post 08-28-09 20:56 #
myk is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Vrack 3 UV Max demo.

Attachment: vr3-3757.zip
This has been downloaded 28 time(s).

Old Post 09-05-09 17:43 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Erik

vdgg said:
Vrack 3 UV Max demo.

yay!

Old Post 09-05-09 18:06 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

I did some maxes on Ruba's new megawad Killing Adventure. Instead of using zdoom, I used prboomplus with complevel 9 (the secret lift in map05 didn't work with complevel 2).

map02 0:52
map03 1:31
map05 0:39
map06 0:59
map13 3:46
map16 2:18
map17 1:14
map20 0:49
map21 2:19
map22 2:39
map24 1:19

demos: killadve-tod1.zip

edit: put map17 1:14 instead of 1:20

Last edited by TimeOfDeath on 09-10-09 at 07:25

Old Post 09-10-09 07:02 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

bloodlst uvmax (but missed 3 secrets and used hud and iddt to verify max kills at end).
Playing quite slow and safe, almost an hour long.

Attachment: bldlst-about55minutes.zip
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Old Post 09-22-09 01:10 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HackNeyed

Updated my demo three posts up with a faster one by 24 seconds.

@gggmork

Wow gggmork! That was quite a run. I love your lengthy demos! How do you prepare or find the time to prepare for such a sizable level with all that back tracking?

Old Post 09-28-09 21:59 #
HackNeyed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

It's better to make a new attachment in your current post, unless for some reason you want to stop people from seeing your old demo (not sure why that would be.)

Old Post 09-28-09 22:48 #
gggmork

HackNeyed said:
How do you prepare or find the time to prepare for such a sizable level with all that back tracking?

For a big/long/complex level, I typically do an iddqd run or type 'tntem' in prboomplus to get a feel for where stuff is. Then I usually open it in doombuilder and spend awhile planning on what appears to be a fast route. For some maps there is a non-obvious walk over line or something so this is almost necessary (in this map for example, it was much easier to look in doombuilder to see that there was an important reverent-horde releasing walk over line near a main central switch). If the map has difficulty settings, it helps to filter/delete all non-uv things when looking in doombuilder (I wrongly thought a huge horde of uv reverents was demons for awhile).

For long maps I tend to do a practice uv run with saves which helps confirm which routes are reasonably safe/fast/possible. So the final run is fairly planned. That run could probably be a lot faster, like not sure if causing that huge infight at the end was faster or slower (but it seemed safer), and long levels require playing more safely to do it in a reasonable number of attempts.

Old Post 09-29-09 02:12 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HackNeyed

@gggmork

Thanks for the info, it confirms some ideas I had and gives me others. I applaud your endurance and I think I'll stick to the cozy maps and maybe work my way up to the epics.

@myk

OK, I'll remember that for the future.

Old Post 09-30-09 09:06 #
HackNeyed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Never_Again
knows his birth month

Last edited by Never_Again on 06-13-10 at 16:44

Old Post 10-02-09 12:27 #
Never_Again is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

100pctv2.wad max/reality 1:19
(the map was intended for max/reality)

Also, a max movie from September 2008 on barbamaps6.wad (infinite ammo coop wad)
MAP01 - 6:44 - no deaths, soulsphere
MAP02 - 5:44 - no deaths, bfg
MAP03 - 3:53 - no deaths
MAP04 - 3:56 - no deaths, also reality
MAP05 - 3:04 - no deaths
MAP06 - 3:10 - no deaths
MAP07 - 3:42 - no deaths
MAP08 - 2:57 - 3 deaths, bfg
MAP09 - 11:10 - 2 deaths, bfg
MAP10 - 5:00 - no deaths, megasphere
MAP11 - 4:05 - no deaths, also reality
MAP12 - 4:42 - no deaths, also reality

TOTAL - 58:07 (zdoom 2.2.0)

Old Post 10-05-09 06:58 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

vatosquare-singleplayer max 10:50 (zdoom 2.2.0 with infinite ammo)

Vatoloko posted that map on the ZDaemon forums. It looks like a remake of SQUARES but apparently he's never seen that map before. heh

EDIT: btw, I'm still using zdoom 2.2.0 because I can't get "no bfg aiming" to work in the newest zdoom. I type in the dmflags in the batch file, but it still aims bfg.

Last edited by TimeOfDeath on 10-08-09 at 19:41

Old Post 10-08-09 18:41 #
gggmork

That does look like squares.

Old Post 10-08-09 23:25 #
Never_Again
knows his birth month

Last edited by Never_Again on 06-13-10 at 16:45

Old Post 10-17-09 07:12 #
Never_Again is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork

Just a failed run for claust.wad map 4 (beat mastermind then died), a map with scripted projectile patterns. Its skill 3, because 4 is pretty hard and seemingly meant to use save points.

This is the wad link:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12364

needs zdoom 2.3.1:

Attachment: claust-map4-fail-zd231-ggg.zip
This has been downloaded 9 time(s).

Last edited by gggmork on 10-19-09 at 12:05

Old Post 10-19-09 11:45 #
Phml
Forum Staple

Heh. This looks like a bad JRPG fanfic - not the kind of stuff I'd enjoy playing, but it's so trippy it actually makes a great demo.

Old Post 10-19-09 12:10 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

In castle_na.txt, Never_Again said:
I got stuck on MAP02 seconds into the game - hopeless, abort.
It's actually possible to get out of there. Check this attached demo. You can warp to level 2 if using prboom-plus to see my heroic escape, as it's a movie.

PS: The demo is just a conservative first play.

Attachment: cstl_myk.zip
This has been downloaded 20 time(s).

Old Post 10-21-09 13:32 #
Never_Again
knows his birth month

Last edited by Never_Again on 06-13-10 at 16:47

Old Post 10-22-09 07:05 #
myk
volveré y seré millones

Never_Again said:
Would be nice to have times (total/last) and deaths listed, though;
Perhaps, though I like leaving deaths, especially, as a surprise.

except it is not FDA, if you saw my demos first.
I had your demos waiting on my desktop and said "let's play through this so we can watch these." Heh, I tend to fall back on demo watching out of the habit of playing WADs before watching them, sometimes even replaying stuff I've played in the past.

If you're sitting on some other unreleased demos by you, please share.
Well, demos like this one I have quite a few now as recently I've started recording most first tries or series of attempts.

Old Post 10-22-09 13:47 #
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Here are some "old" demos on LOINK (the demos are in the wad zip file, recorded with zdoom 2.2.0) that weren't posted in the demos forum. It's a slaughter wad for zdoom with rocket jumping - 1 map split into 2 maps. gggmork recorded 2 maxes as well, without using freelook or rocket jumping and using only keyboard (some of the shootable switches must be a lot harder to hit without a mouse).

gggmork
MAP01 max 19:40
MAP02 max 17:16

TimeOfDeath
MAP01 max 10:15
MAP01 speed 2:09
MAP01 max/reality 19:37
MAP02 max 13:15
MAP02 speed 1:27
Max Movie 25:11
Speed Movie 3:36

Old Post 10-29-09 20:15 #
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

lol, who was the asscunt that voted LOINK zero? I haven't given that wad any votes yet. SHOW YOURSELF.

WHO KEEPS RATING IT ZERO AND WHY

Last edited by TimeOfDeath on 10-30-09 at 07:07

Old Post 10-29-09 23:07 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Been a while since I posted anything here, hasn't it? Here's a new demo I recorded today. This time, it's for another George Fiffy map, since I haven't done that in a while either, which isn't on idgames/ for whatever reason.

WAR3-910.ZIP - UV max on REoL TOUGH: TOTAL WAR III: Land of Weirdness (WAR3.WAD) by George Fiffy in 9:10

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Last edited by The Green Herring on 11-10-09 at 10:09

Old Post 11-01-09 00:07 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Here's more Fiffy action, this time on the next entry in his regular "REoL Tough" series. This level contains a forest maze that predates B.P.R.D's Grove by one decade, and 18 ridiculously difficult-to-find secrets. And by "difficult-to-find," I mean "you'll never find them unless you cheat with a level editor." Fortunately, by watching this demo, you'll learn how to find them.

FIF4-825.ZIP - UV max on REoL TOUGH: The Pit (FIFFY4.WAD) by George Fiffy in 8:25

On a side note, for those who have been following George Fiffy's recent posts on this site, the text file for this WAD contains a Hilarious in Hindsight moment. I point it out in the text file for my demo. ;)

Old Post 11-09-09 05:08 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

tgh, i love your heroic crusade against shitty old levels, especially this fiffy campaign. bundled with the original text file and your history lesson/fun facts file, it's a pleasant change from reading newspaper during breakfast. :)

Old Post 11-10-09 01:08 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

dew said:
shitty old levels

So says you. I thought that map was great. Cool demo TGH. I played through the map before watching the demo and only found 1 secret with almost 200 monsters left unkilled, but I liked it and it looks like even more fun with the power weapons.

Old Post 11-10-09 02:28 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Heh, I didn't think anyone even cared about my "heroic crusade," as dew puts it. ;) Thanks!

Anyway, here's another Fiffy demo, but now it's on the next entry in the Total War series. It's a school map that barely even resembles a school, packed with the usual clusters of monsters, with an impossible-to-find-without-cheating-with-a-level-editor secret area you can block yourself from reaching if you open access to it too quickly. Oh, yeah, and a rudimentary MIDI of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)."

WAR4-739.ZIP - REoL TOUGH: Satan's School of Warfare (WAR4.WAD) by George Fiffy in 7:39, accompanied by:
  • WAR4BUG1.LMP - Bug demo (player cuts off access to secret area)
  • WAR4BUG2.LMP - Bug demo (player gets trapped in the kitchen)

Old Post 11-10-09 05:55 #
Malinku

my first demo (on prboom plus).
its Stomping Grounds on UV 104% kills, 100% items, 0% secer in 8:09 (first time through map too)

map: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15910
demo: http://www.sendspace.com/file/s2r7nu

Old Post 11-12-09 22:24 #
Malinku is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote