Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > What do the monsters say?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Before further reading please bear in mind that I speak perfect Polish, have a good knowledge of Spanish and some English.
Cyberdemon - this is obvious, he says "moo" upon seeing you. This is phonetically the same word in every language I know. Why does he say it - THIS is not obvious for me.
Hell Knight - when dying he says "agua" ("water" in Spanish) with a perfect (beg your pardon) voiced velar fricative ɣ.
Spider mastermind - My imagination of course, but upon seeing you: "where were you?" in a squeaky voice.
Arch-Vile - I read somewhere it's a distorted "why" but I don't hear it.
Mancubus - nothing meaningful, what I hear is "aboohaha" (before firing its missiles).

What do you hear? Waiting for impressions :)

Old Post 02-09-10 19:08 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

The colored girls - Doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot da doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot

Old Post 02-09-10 19:08 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pavera

The mancubus is NOT my MOM!

Old Post 02-09-10 19:14 #
Pavera is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kate

vdgg said:
Cyberdemon - this is obvious, he says "moo" upon seeing you. This is phonetically the same word in every language I know. Why does he say it - THIS is not obvious for me.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5231/moootwo.png

Old Post 02-09-10 19:18 #
Kate is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Most of them say things such:

whoar! roar! boar! ruour! graurrr! warrr!!! uooormmm!!!!

Old Post 02-09-10 19:23 #
Sergeant_Mark_IV is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MSPaintR0cks

You have a lot of imagination.
I would have never guessed that the Spider Mastermind asked you where you have been. I only always heard a screechy noise.

I sometimes hear the Mancubus calling the player an "ANIMAL!", which could actually be fitting since the demons could see you as another race that they don`t perceive as a human being. Of course I also heard the mancubus saying "IM UR MOM!", but I think that many people pointed this out already. (=

Old Post 02-09-10 19:24 #
MSPaintR0cks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Anyone who doesn't think our president is the anti-christ needs to listen to the Mancubus

BARRROCK O BAAMUH

Old Post 02-09-10 19:26 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sergeant_Mark_IV

The Imp can be a Taleban insurgent.

He says: FOR ALAH

Old Post 02-09-10 19:32 #
Sergeant_Mark_IV is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Behold.

Old Post 02-09-10 19:39 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

esselfortium said:
The colored girls - Doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot da doot, da doot, da doot, da doot da doot

Pretty clearly we've got a couple of Demons and what I guess might be a Baron? There's some infighting going on.

Old Post 02-09-10 19:41 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Alfonzo
Broadcaster

While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Listen carefully for his caw.

Old Post 02-09-10 20:26 #
Alfonzo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ninjalah

st.alfonzo said:

That is the most terrifying line I've heard in ages.

Old Post 02-09-10 21:02 #
Ninjalah is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
HackNeyed

The Mancubus must think I'm an artist because it keeps saying "I'm your model" ugh

Old Post 02-09-10 22:04 #
HackNeyed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hell's Vendetta

st.alfonzo said:
While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Then you better tell perkristian about that find if you're serious, he's making a hi-res doom sound pack.

Old Post 02-09-10 22:34 #
Hell's Vendetta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
eargosedown
Forum Regular

Hell's Vendetta said:

Then you better tell perkristian about that find if you're serious, he's making a hi-res doom sound pack.

Old Post 02-09-10 23:36 #
eargosedown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Don't the Doom 3 revenants use the same source as the Doom 2 ones? They sound so similar...

Old Post 02-09-10 23:48 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

vdgg said:
Hell Knight - when dying he says "agua" ("water" in Spanish) with a perfect (beg your pardon) voiced velar fricative ɣ.
To me it's more like "awawah!"

Mancubus - nothing meaningful, what I hear is "aboohaha" (before firing its missiles).
I always hear "hungry vowel!"

Old Post 02-09-10 23:59 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I think mancubi say their name. I've assumed that their species name derives from their grumbles.

Old Post 02-10-10 00:11 #
AlektorophobiA
Mini-Member

I'm sure that the Spider Mastermind says "One Million" when sees you... maybe i am crazy :b

Old Post 02-10-10 00:50 #
AlektorophobiA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
PRIMEVAL

For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said "Gestapo" when spotting you and "I'm leaving" when they die.

Old Post 02-10-10 01:34 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Funny, this just got linked to elsewhere:

Gez said:
PAREIDOLIA

Old Post 02-10-10 02:04 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

PRIMEVAL said:
For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said "Gestapo" when spotting you and "I'm leaving" when they die.
To my ears it's "two shovels" and "I'm bleeding".

Old Post 02-10-10 02:50 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

PRIMEVAL said:
For the longest time I always thought the Nazi guards said [...] "I'm leaving" when they die.
Yeah, me too, during my pre-internet DOOMing period.

Old Post 02-10-10 03:42 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Abyssalstudios1

When I use zDoom with Doom 1, it assigns various, Russian sounding noises to the monsters. Barons shout something like 'Ganz-free!', and I'm convinced that imps say, 'Yer mamma' when they die.

Old Post 02-10-10 04:11 #
Abyssalstudios1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Philnemba

vdgg said:

To me it sounds like "hump dee dump" whenever I face a Mancubus.

Old Post 02-10-10 04:54 #
Philnemba is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

Mancubus clearly says hump yo ma

Old Post 02-10-10 06:09 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

Here's what I hear from all the monsters:
code:
Monster See Pain* Death Attack** ------------------------------------------------------------- Imp Hahhhhhh Moo/Rehh Demon nnn-BARK Krow-kow*kaput* Sarggg Lost Soul (none) Chah Hahhhh Cacodemon Hisssss Mwwwahhh PE Ro-meh-ro^ Bow! Boom-da-boom-HAH Hellknight WORRRK Oww-wah Revenant Crahhh Crick WHOO*psh* Arachnotron Shhrreee Chowwww Choichoichoi Mancubus GluuROTCH Muuwahh Boool*schploik* Mancubuthhh! Baron WARRRRRR Browwwwn Arch-vile BRWRWRWREE Owww! Vwar-no-why!? Baaake*KABISH* Cyberdemon Moooo! SCHNARFF*boom!* Poofwah (x3) Spiderdemon Wer-WEE-Wer Chowww*FWOOM* Chuggachugga Monster Active*** ------------------------------- Imp Crock-ko-ka-lee Revenant Howwww Arch-vile Hoomp-da-hah-hahhh

* Pain - Most monsters say "Hawww"
** Attack - Most monsters firing go "Narff*whoosh*"
*** Active - Most monsters say "Hurr-da-hurrr"
^ Romero vehemently denies that the PE says his name but I will always hear it ;)

Last edited by Quasar on 02-10-10 at 06:21

Old Post 02-10-10 06:15 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

You can't get more specific then that. Quasar wins the thread.

Old Post 02-10-10 07:09 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

It's interesting to question what those monster sounds were based on, or what other games use similar sounds, especially where unexpected. Both from Doom 1, 2 and 3:

(just before anyone posts without reading this completely, I DO know Doom sounds are from a common source, no need to reiterate this for me)

- The imp shorter death sound, when pitched up by 100%, sounds just like a Diablo 2 goat man pain sound
- The Doom 3 pinky-demon sight sound is VERY much like a Heretic Maulotaur - which I'd guess it's commonly used for LIONS, not bulls, in cinema.
- Similarly, Doom 1 demons sound too much like lions, with all their sounds. They're such good quality that when I walked in a park I suddenly heard a beastly noise, which included clips from the Demon death sound. I would have guessed it was a speaker, but I wasn't quite sure, so I turned back. Thankfully I wasn't the target of the prank.
- For me the imp sight sound was always like a man's whisper (which is odd, because imps are monsters, not humans to do whispers), and the active sound like a human snoring.
- Lost souls, again like a high pitched whisper, yet it's a supposedly voiceless burning skull.
- The second former human sight sound is commonly used for SOME OF THE MOST VICIOUS monsters in cinema. There's a less known movie about tornadoes, and one of them makes noises just like the former human! I'm fully aware of this Sound Ideas commonness, but still, think about a growling tornado. Also, no wonder the cyberdemon death sound makes you think he turned into a former human when dying.
- I just love the draconic sabreclaw song.
- Cyberdemons really sound like some big one on high notes, or a big woman saying BLOOOOOO.
- Their walk sound is more like hammering a nail, than actual robo-walker.

I'm tired, so this is all.

Old Post 02-10-10 08:09 #
40oz
Forum Spammer

Quasar said:
Here's what I hear from all the monsters:

That's some nice onomatopoeia

Except I heard the archvile having a pain sound more like "AAAhhnnn!" more so than "owww!"

Also I've always wondered how people are able to detect that the archvile's death sound is a mutated version of a girl saying "why", because I dont hear it at all.

Old Post 02-10-10 14:05 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote