Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Which doom 2 maps creeped you out on first impression
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Avoozl

Well I would say the map which creeped me out on first impression was the courtyards, the music along with the staring red eyes on the goat reliefs got to me. I felt a little scared but I was quite young then and it didn't affect me anymore after.

Last edited by Avoozl on 04-27-10 at 13:12

Old Post 04-27-10 12:48 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Malinku

Map 30

Old Post 04-27-10 12:54 #
Malinku is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Swec

think i would say map 30 too. scary song and the the reversed talk and a shit load of enemies. bur i find some small areas on each map scary and very impressive on the same time.

Old Post 04-27-10 13:00 #
Swec is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

I never really found any map in DooM II scary. I first played it several years ago. DooM on the other hand did scare me a lot as a kid.

Old Post 04-27-10 13:03 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN

Pretty much all the levels, but level 30 was the most horrifying for me.

Old Post 04-27-10 14:13 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

MAP30 is the one that really fucked me up as a kid. But most of the scary levels were in the original game.

Old Post 04-27-10 14:42 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

Map02 - the dark tunnels,
Map04 - very dark, unnerving clank of the seargents' loophole,
Map28 - general atmosphere
Map30 - the voice, not really knowing what was going on,

Old Post 04-27-10 14:54 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

MAP06, when I was playing on "I'm too young to die". Not as much creeped as impressed.
First, the lone hell knight on the crusher platform. I thought he was just a baron of hell shaded by the lights, and because of this I marveled at how powerful the SSG is.
Then, the revenant scared me shitless when his red-hot missile took about 35% of my health away. I had to leave the revenant part for someone else to solve, because I was afraid. And finally the megasphere secret. Cool one. Even at that age I was curious enough to try that ledge.
Lots of new things appearing suddenly at MAP06 on lower skill levels.

Old Post 04-27-10 16:31 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Honestly, none.

Old Post 04-27-10 16:56 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GhostlyDeath
Forum Retard

When I was very young, E1M1 on I'm too young to die. I was just a small kid trying to not get killed by some zombiemen.

Old Post 04-27-10 17:00 #
GhostlyDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Map30: Trying to load a game saved after entering the big room always crashed my copy of Doom, adding to the creepiness.

Map32: Keens were a big WTF the first time I played.

Old Post 04-27-10 17:03 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Philnemba

E1M5 because of 3 things:
-the creepy music
-a lot of dark rooms
-first encounter of the Spectres on HMP

Although that was my first impression back in 1999/2000 when I was young.

Edit: Heh I just notice that the topic meant DOOM 2 but chances are that most people who started playing Doom play the shareware first :P

Old Post 04-27-10 17:10 #
Philnemba is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Philnemba said:

Edit: Heh I just notice that the topic meant DOOM 2 but chances are that most people who started playing Doom play the shareware first :P

Mine was Doom2 v1.666, cuz that's all that was popular with local pirates circa-1996 and QUAKE.

Old Post 04-27-10 17:22 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Philnemba

Mr. T said:

Mine was Doom2 v1.666, cuz that's all that was popular with local pirates circa-1996 and QUAKE.

Maybe I should have said SOME people instead of MOST people -_-;

Old Post 04-27-10 17:45 #
Philnemba is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Philnemba said:
-_-;
Facepalm sign? That semicolon looks like a hand slapping one's head.

Old Post 04-27-10 18:15 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

It's usually meant to be a tear of embarrassment, a smiley version of the anime hovering giant teardrop.

Old Post 04-27-10 18:21 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

Thanks, you fufilled my needy need to be in the majority. Map12 was pretty creepy in the way it built suspense. "I've arrived at the city, but something's not quite right oh fuck arachnotrons"

Old Post 04-27-10 18:29 #
Siggi

I don't recall ever being creeped out by any Doom level.

Old Post 04-27-10 18:59 #
Siggi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ahcruna

None that I can think of, it was only later in Doom64 that I was a bit jumpy tanks to the music and atmosphere and *bam!* a specter bit me to death, can't remember the map though.

as for the original games, the only places that gave me a scare was when the Icon of sin started talking. I sooooo did not expect that.

Old Post 04-27-10 19:03 #
Ahcruna is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

I'm not sure if MAP30 'creeped me out' so much as made me physically intimidated and scared to play it. The music was horrifying too.

Old Post 04-27-10 21:09 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lupinx-Kassman

I think the only thing that creeped me out in the original game, funnily enough, was the John Romero head on a stick after no-clipping through the boss in map 30. At the time I didn't know who John Romero was, so it just seemed like an abnormally sized conscious severed head impaled on a stick. Weird.

Other then this, I found the doom games to be a colorful and action-packed experience, not a scary one. Doom 64 was the only game that seemed to be genuinely after the scare factor, which was done well in that regard.

Old Post 04-27-10 21:33 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I don't think any Doom2 map creeped me out, but I shat myself the first time I heard a revenant wake-up scream (without seeing what had made it).

Old Post 04-27-10 21:37 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

The only map that creeped me out the entire way in Doom 2 was Map28. Hellish theme/music was about the only one that really felt like... well, Hell.

However, the one moment that creeped me out the most, and it sticks with me to this day, is Map11, when the walls lift up and that AV springs out like nobody's business. When you're 7, something like that just shouldn't be part of it.

Of course, if we extend this to Doom... E2M4 had quite the atmosphere. E3M2 for when I looked at the automap.

Old Post 04-27-10 22:21 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MSPaintR0cks

I played Doom 2 first, so I still remember Map05 (The Waste Tunnels) to creep me out a bit. But it was the brown, infernal sky in the early Doom 2 levels that made every place feel oppressive and unsettling for me.
Doom 1 felt a bit lighter in my opinion.

Old Post 04-28-10 07:27 #
MSPaintR0cks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

PSX Doom creeped me out many many times, due to the overall feel and atmosphere. PC version, pretty much never did.

Old Post 04-28-10 08:08 #
Ragnor is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stewboy

I was terrified by the soulspheres in Doom 1, and whenever there were any I would look away from them where possible. I was also terrified of the scrolling texture that you start facing in MAP30 - basically anything with a face on it would scare me.

Old Post 04-28-10 08:37 #
stewboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Played Doom II after I got Quake's shareware, so basically I didn't find any frightening map in Doom II.
Ultimate Doom, on the other hand... :)

Old Post 04-28-10 09:45 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hell's Vendetta

E1M5 and E2M4 are the only ones that were scary to me back in the day, also, most of the later levels of Doom 64, mainly pointing at level 21 "The Pitfalls",. Fuck that music and fuck that place.

Old Post 04-28-10 09:52 #
Hell's Vendetta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lutz

E3M4 didn't freak me out as such, but that one room overlooking the giant blood pool full of hanging corpses is atmospheric perfection; I used to IDCLEV/SPISPOPD to that point often while designing some of my early levels. Doom II didn't have any moments like that, though the dark area to the west of the start point in "The Waste Tunnels" always made me a bit nervous.

Old Post 04-28-10 13:02 #
Lutz is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Abyssalstudios1

Enjay said:
I don't think any Doom2 map creeped me out, but I shat myself the first time I heard a revenant wake-up scream (without seeing what had made it).

This. I played MAP06 in Doom 95, and hearing the god awful scream made me jump out of my chair.

Actually, I'm pretty certain I've said this before...

Old Post 04-28-10 18:38 #
Abyssalstudios1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote