Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > -solo-net [1-player coop] demos
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
entryway
Forum Staple

dew said:
You need to play this demo with -solo-net command added.

Now you should not. I have added support for "-solo-net" and "-emulate x.y.z" command line switches in demo footer.

Old Post 09-17-10 11:49 #
entryway is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VinceDSS

I remember discussing deaths in coop demos with AdamH.
You are allowed to die in a very limited way.

The demo is valid if the map exits while either :
- the death animation is not completed
- the corpse is still sliding or falling

If the corpse comes to a standstill the demo is invalid.

We discussed that because of demos like pl01 with players dying in order to exit faster.
It was also accepted for some demos where one player dies just while the other exits.

Old Post 09-17-10 14:23 #
VinceDSS is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

But what happened to "if the Doom engine allows it, then it's fair game"? Dying + respawning is default behaviour for coop/solo-net. I can understand wanting to separate deaths demos from no-deaths demos, but making deaths demos completely invalid doesn't make sense to me. Why not have separate categories? "No deaths or respawning" and "Respawning allowed". Both categories can be competitve and use different strategies. And there are some coop wads that literally require you to die if you want to exit.

Deaths aren't always lame. :)

Old Post 09-18-10 03:42 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

You have to consider that when Compet-n was most active, and especially when the rules were made, coop was a rarer thing to do. It was mostly in a LAN environment, unless one were ready to deal with lag that jams the game occasionally. Cooperative also restricts how much time one may put into runs, as both players need to be available, making alternate categories distract from more polished or concentrated play.

Rather off-topic, one thing that's always annoyed me about Quake coop running is that it allows people to choose whether friendly fire hurts. Obviously, everyone is going to use teamplay 1 (no damage) because it allows one to abuse rocket jumps and player boosting. This makes the "option" irrelevant and teamplay 1 (which makes play a bit less interesting, in my opinion) the rule, especially considering that like in DOOM, respawning is not allowed; otherwise it may have been reasonable to use teamplay 0 sometimes to get one player killed so he can respawn and do something relevant near the start area.

Old Post 09-19-10 19:07 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TendaMonsta

Kama Sutra MAP13 Solo-Net Max in 5:55

I think its a interesting demo especially if you use walkcam and watch the assholes go at it.

Attachment: ks13c555.zip
This has been downloaded 18 time(s).

Old Post 10-03-10 06:13 #
TendaMonsta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VinceDSS

myk said:
Rather off-topic, one thing that's always annoyed me about Quake coop running is that it allows people to choose whether friendly fire hurts. Obviously, everyone is going to use teamplay 1 (no damage) because it allows one to abuse rocket jumps and player boosting. This makes the "option" irrelevant and teamplay 1 (which makes play a bit less interesting, in my opinion) the rule, especially considering that like in DOOM, respawning is not allowed; otherwise it may have been reasonable to use teamplay 0 sometimes to get one player killed so he can respawn and do something relevant near the start area.

the 1st coop demos I saw where the H2H contest demos. I was very amazed at these and they surely contributed to me trying coop demos.
I remember the players in these used deaths/respawns on purpose to save some time. Such demos could be interesting as well, even if I am a no death with teamdamage purist.

Old Post 10-03-10 14:47 #
VinceDSS is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Vince, I didn't realize you're a no-death-with-teamdamage purist, considering all the times we played coopbuild on zdaemon a few years ago. :)

Old Post 10-04-10 03:33 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VinceDSS

casual coops and serious demo coops are 2 different things :)

Old Post 10-04-10 03:45 #
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

I treated these demos very seriously when I made them. :P

http://doomedsda.us/wad1039.html
http://doomedsda.us/wad1041.html
http://doomedsda.us/wad1060.html
http://doomedsda.us/wad1148.html

Old Post 10-04-10 03:57 #
TendaMonsta

No activity in this thread...Well it's time to break the silence.

Kama Sutra MAP13 Solo-net Max in 5:04

Attachment: ks13c504.zip
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Old Post 11-30-10 23:58 #
TendaMonsta is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Qaatar

Finally some fresh stuff from you, Tenda! Good shit.

Edit: Man, great job on those cybies.

Last edited by Qaatar on 12-01-10 at 03:20

Old Post 12-01-10 02:40 #
Qaatar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Never_Again
knows his birth month

Nice run, TM, I see you improved your earlier borked one by 12 seconds. :) You only need to enable Extended Demo Format so that your demos can be played back automatically, specifying the executable and its version in the TXT wouldn't hurt either.

Here's my first -solo-net run: TNT MAP01 - UV Max in 1:26 - second exit, pretty casual.

Old Post 12-01-10 14:29 #
Never_Again is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Never_Again said:
specifying the executable and its version in the TXT wouldn't hurt either.
Yeah, this is important. It allows people to troubleshoot demos more easily (due to engine and version quirks) and allows people to roughly judge the demo based on how it was recorded (due to engine features).

Old Post 12-02-10 02:38 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TendaMonsta

Never_Again said:
You only need to enable Extended Demo Format so that your demos can be played back automatically, specifying the executable and its version in the TXT wouldn't hurt either.
/B]

Oh...I forgot to put the Executable in my demo template file. I apologize about that. If you would like to know, I used Prboom-plus2.5.0.8. I also didn't know that enabling "Extended Demo Format" would allow the demo to playback automatically. I'm learning stuff from you a lot now. Same from you Myk.

Qaatar said:
[B]Finally some fresh stuff from you, Tenda! Good shit.

Edit: Man, great job on those cybies.

Thanks Qaatar! The three MooMoos weren't always the problem, but the final two especially since the cyberdemons aggravation levels towards the player and monsters can be quite random(to me).

Old Post 12-02-10 02:46 #
TendaMonsta

More ks demos. I don't remember when I enabled "extended format" for these demos so they might not play back automatically.

Enjoy

Kama Sutra MAP01, MAP09, & MAP12

Attachment: ks-coop.zip
This has been downloaded 15 time(s).

Old Post 12-05-10 19:39 #
Grazza
=/-

TendaMonsta said:
I don't remember when I enabled "extended format" for these demos so they might not play back automatically.
They all play back OK without needing to add -solo-net to the command-line, so you had successfully enabled this feature before recording.

Old Post 12-05-10 22:05 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote