Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair
Hello, and welcome to the General section of Doomworld's Doom 3 forum. If you're new to this forum, please take a moment to read this FAQ, as it may answer some questions you may have about Doom 3.
This thread is an attempt to consolidate some of the more important information floating about the forum, and eliminate some minor conflicts.
What is Doom 3?
Doom 3 is the latest game by id Software. It is a new installment in the Doom series. However, it is not a sequel so much as a retelling of Doom. In other words, pretend that Doom and Doom 2 never existed.
Where can I buy Doom 3?
Doom 3 should be easily found at your local video game retailer. You can also order it from online stores such as the one found at id Software's site.
What are the minimum system requirements for Doom 3?
From the game's box:
Minimum system requirements:
- 3D hardware accelerator card required – 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB hardware accelerated video card and the latest drivers
- English version of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
- Pentium IV 1.5GHz or Athlon XP 1500+ processor or higher
- 384MB of RAM
- 8x speed CD-ROM drive (1200kb/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
- 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file)
- 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
- 100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- DirectX 9.0b (included)
- ATI Radeon 8500
- ATI Radeon 9000
- ATI Radeon 9200
- ATI Radeon 9500
- ATI Radeon 9600
- ATI Radeon 9700
- ATI Radeon 9800
- All nVidia GeForceTM 3/Ti series
- All nVidia GeForceTM 4MX series
- All nVidia GeForceTM 4/Ti series
- All nVidia GeForceTM FX series
- nVidia® GeForceTM 6800
*Important Note: Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D accelerator features utilized by Doom 3. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility. This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95/98/ME or NT.
- Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
- Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
- LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers
Hey what about the mac version of Doom 3?
The Mac version of Doom 3 has practically the same requirements. The only mac-specific things worth mentioning are:
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
- CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later
- A DVD drive
Where can I find the latest drivers for my ATI or nVidia video card?
ATI's web site
nVidia's web site
Where can I find the latest patch for Doom 3?
The update section of the official doom 3 website.
Is there a demo available?
Yes! Read this thread for more info and a list of mirrors.
I'd like to see some benchmark tests.
Check out the HardOCP Doom3 Hardware Guide and look at the reults they got with their test systems. You can also browse these forums to see how other people are experiencing the game on their systems.
What about videos or screenshots?
Yep. videos can be found here at http://www.doomworld.com/doom3/movies/ and screenies at http://www.doomworld.com/doom3/screenshots/
I heard there was an alpha version of the game or something like that floating around.
Yes, there is a leaked alpha version of Doom 3 floating around the Internet. Do not ask for it. Requesting or linking to the alpha, screenshots of the alpha and the likes is your ticket to an instant ban. We urge you to report any offending posts to the staff the second you see them (use the 'Report to mod' button or send a message).
Note: This includes the so-called "Trent Reznor Sound Pack", which uses resources from the alpha.
Discussion about the alpha is not an offense in itself.
What about that leaked footage I heard about a long time ago?
There are illegal videos of Doom 3 floating around the Internet, but we can't tell you where to get them since id Software doesn't want them to spread.
What about magazine scans then?
Linking to scans from PCGamer or any other magazine is illegal, so the same rules apply to those. The forum has been cleaned of scan links, but if we have missed some and you see any, report it to the staff.
Will Doom 3 be ported to any consoles?
An X-Box port is on its way, as being developed by Vicarious Visions. The game will most likely not be ported to any other consoles, however.
Who is worked on Doom 3?
*Ripped from idsoftware.com*
- Adrian Carmack [co-owner, artist]
- John Carmack [co-owner, technical director]
- Kevin Cloud [co-owner, artist]
- Todd Hollenshead [co-owner, c.e.o.]
- Tim Willits [co-owner, lead designer]
- Christian Antkow [sound designer]
- Mal Blackwell [designer]
- Andy Chang [artist]
- Jim Dosé [programmer]
- Pat Duffy [media artist]
- Robert A. Duffy [programmer]
- Matt Hooper [designer]
- James Houska [animator]
- Donna Jackson [office manager & id mom]
- Jerry Keehan [designer]
- Seneca Menard [artist]
- Fred Nilsson [animator]
- Steve Rescoe [designer]
- Kenneth Scott [lead artist]
- Marty Stratton [dir. of business development]
- Patrick Thomas [artist]
- Eric Webb [development assistant/animator]
- Jonathan Wright [programmer]
Hey, I found this awesome program which lets you cheat in multiplayer games!
Do NOT post any programs such as wallhacks, speedhacks, aimbots, or other such tools that allow you to cheat during multiplayer games. Do not request them either. We urge you to report any offending posts to the staff the second you see them (use the 'Report to mod' button or send a message).
I 've been noticing a lot of these threads ranting and complaing about Doom 3 being hated by Christians and these other organizations like Mothers Against Violence of America etc. These threads will 99.9% of the time result in a flame/rant fest and is completly pointless.
Please avoid posting or even mentioning about this. I appreciate it thanks.
For more information about Doom 3, feel free to hang around the forums a bit and don't be afraid to ask questions (apart from those I answered above).
Last edited by Amaster on 10-31-05 at 01:45