Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.3
Pages (74): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:08. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
entryway
Forum Staple

The new version of my PRBoom modification could be found on:
http://www.geocities.com/e6y/doom.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/

Change Log

2.5.0.2 @ 2009 May 09

[+] Support for DeePsea's tall patch method: Now it's possible to use patches of any height.

[+] Support for hi-res textures in wads. You should place them between HI_START/HI_END markers.

[+] Fog in "gzdoom" lighting mode.

[+] High Quality Resize modes. Scale2x/3x/4x are supported. Thanks to Benjamin Berkels.

[+] An alternative way of sky drawing was added. "Sky Mode: Skybox". It's slower than the "Standard" method, but looks better if you use mouse look. Also, it's the only way to see skies properly on old hardware, like 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics, ATI 3D Rage Pro, and others which don't support "Environment Mapping".

[+] Added a "gl_clear" config variable for clearing the screen between frames. This is only necessary when developing a map, to see HOMs.

[+] Added a "gl_ztrick" config variable for very old hardware, like 3Dfx Voodoo, NVidia RIVA128, etc. If this toggle is enabled the game will not clear the z-buffer between frames. This will result in improved performance (~10%) but might cause problems for some display hardware. Makes sense with gl_compatibility 1 and gl_clear 0. Do not use it with TNT2 or better, as performance will be slower.

[+] Now PrBoom-Plus can save all necessary playback information at the end of demos without loss of compatibility. With such demos you just need to type "prboom-plus demoname" or click on a demo from your browser, archives manager or explorer and prboom will make any additional work by itself without any assistance. PrBoom-Plus will check for a demo footer and if it is present, will read which IWAD, PWAD and DEH files were used for recording, will try to download necessary add-on files from the Internet and will play the demo for you.

Currently, PrBoom-Plus saves the following information (with demo_extendedformat 1):

* VERSION - version of DemoEx format (1.0)
* PORTNAME - port name and version (PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.1)
* PARAMS - iwad, pwads, dehs and critical for demos params like -spechit
* MLOOK - mouse look data

For the automatic downloading of files, one must specify the getwad_cmdline parameter in the PrBoom-Plus config file. Examples:

* getwad_cmdline "D:\games\Doom2\getwad\getwad.exe"
* getwad_cmdline "C:\my_cool_app -download_pwad_from_somewhere %wadname% -here c:\doom2"

[+] PrBoom-Plus can now apply Boom colormaps to hires resources.

[+] Supports independent OpenGL filtering methods (nearest, linear, etc) for textures, sprites and patches.

[+] It's now possible to change screen resolution from the GUI.

[+] An option to see any monsters that are still alive through walls. By default it's toggled with "Numpad /". It has two modes: All sprites with living monsters or living monsters only. Works only in GL mode.

[*] PrBoom will attempt to play a DEMO4 lump present in a wad immediately after DEMO3, but without exiting with the "W_GetNumForName: DEMO4 not found" error that the Plutonia and TNT executables get. This makes sense for Plutonia 2, which includes a DEMO4 lump that is played back during the demo cycle by vanilla Plutonia.

[*] "PrBoom-Plus" title instead of "PrBoom" on the CREDITS screen page.

[*] Doesn't alter the default skill level when the difficulty skill is selected from the New game menu. An explicit default skill option was added instead, shoehorned into the misc section of page 2 of the General menu.

[*] Smoothing for the edges of textures with holes. (And not only for sprites, as before.)

[*] Screenshots in "gzdoom" lighting mode use current gamma.

[*] Reconfiguration in menu.

[*] Better and faster mipmapping for modern hardware. Support for GL_ARB_TEXTURE_NON_POWER_OF_TWO extention.

[*] Two service variables for developers were added: gl_color_mip_levels and gl_fog_color.

[*] PrBoom-Plus doesn't use detail texture over hires textures.

[*] Textures are reloaded after changing the "Override PWAD's graphics with Hi-Res" option.

[*] Smart algorithm for more seamless flats drawing. In some situations this removes seams from hires flats (between sectors 125 and 126 on map20 @ doom2.wad, etc).

[*] Speed improvement in OpenGL mode.

[*] Can play any episode with The Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Doom95 and DosDoom compatibilities and -warp command line switch. Now you can play E5M1 @ 2002ado.wad with "-warp 5 1 -complevel 3". The (vanilla) Ultimate Doom executable also allows this.

[*] Some interpolation code was optimized. This fixes slowdowns on the beta of ndcp2.wad map02.

[*] Speed improvements. Some timedemo examples for my hardware (Intel Core2Duo 3.0, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS):
Command line: [port] -geom 640x480 -window -nosound -file [pwad] -timedemo [demo]
Files: epic.wad, epic.lmp, nuts.wad, nuts.lmp, dv.wad
code:
epic.wad nuts.wad dv.wad glboom 2.5.0 126 53 560 glboom+ 2.5.0.1 234 130 640 glboom+ 2.5.0.1.fast 277 134 705 glboom+ 2.5.0.2 362 149 834 prboom 2.5.0 174 115 400 prboom+ 2.5.0.1 158 114 382 prboom+ 2.5.0.2 191 121 424

[-] Fixed a rare wrong sprite rotation glitch when render_paperitems is 0.

[-] Avoids segfaults on levels without nodes, and refuses to load maps with an incomplete pwad structure.

[-] Avoids segfaults with unknown patch formats, and checks if the patch lump can be a Doom patch.

[-] Gets rid of a line of graphics on some middle textures with holes. Sector #42 on gravity.wad as an example.

[-] Doesn't render holes between flats and walls in some situations, on some hardware. Sector #557 @ map21 @ pl2.wad. GLBoom-Plus now renders per linedef instead of per seg. Performance has increased a little as a bonus. Also, some small texturing glitches are gone. See linedef #361 @ bbb.wad, as an example.

[-] Gets rid of a half-pixel mismatch on seams between identical and correctly aligned textures in GL. This was an old GLBoom bug which is now fixed.

[-] Fixed incorrect flipping for "Transfer Sky Texture" actions (272 <-> 271) in OpenGL.

[-] Fixed issue with near-clip plane. Works only on NVIDIA.

From PrBoom
- Don't set default skill level from the new game menu. Added explicit default skill option.

Full Change Log

Some links:
Spechits, Reject and Intercepts Overflow Lists

Last edited by entryway on 05-28-09 at 15:12

Old Post 03-09-05 12:20 #
entryway is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Cool.

Speaking of nothing, do you plan to record episode 2 or continue your max run of Doom 2 soon? :)

Old Post 03-09-05 14:45 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

OK for me so far, though I needed to use my existing .cfg file (rather than the one supplied or letting the program create it from scratch).

BTW, the prboom.cfg included in the zip has the gamespeed (realtic_clock_rate) set at 110, which is surely an oversight.

I haven't tested it for recording so far though (and probably won't have time to do so for quite a while).

Old Post 03-09-05 15:54 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

Grazza said:
BTW, the prboom.cfg included in the zip has the gamespeed (realtic_clock_rate) set at 110, which is surely an oversight.

Thanks

Old Post 03-09-05 16:01 #
entryway is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

Fredrik said:
Speaking of nothing, do you plan to record episode 2 or continue your max run of Doom 2 soon? :)

do it yourself. it's easy. it is only necessary to start.

Old Post 03-09-05 16:13 #
Janizdreg

So is this smpeg.dll thingey actually necessary for something or is it just a remainder from the old(er) PrBoom versions? ;)

And BTW, thank you for your awesome work on PrBoom - the latest version of your modification has become my port of choice for pretty much all of my Doom play.

EDIT: Just found a bug... if a new game is started while a demo is playing the game speed & walkcam settings are carried over to the single player game.

Last edited by Janizdreg on 03-10-05 at 23:25

Old Post 03-10-05 18:34 #
Janizdreg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

Janizdreg said:
So is this smpeg.dll thingey actually necessary for something or is it just a remainder from the old(er) PrBoom versions? ;)
EDIT: Just found a bug... if a new game is started while a demo is playing the walkcam settings are carried over to the single player game.

Thanks. I've reuploaded fixed version.

And BTW, thank you for your awesome work on PrBoom - the latest version of your modification has become my port of choice for pretty much all of my Doom play.

Me too :)) I use only ZDoom and mine GLBoom.

Old Post 03-11-05 09:20 #
Grazza
=/-

entryway said:
I've reuploaded fixed version.
The new version of the source is bloated by the inclusion of a long demo (30cmvi.lmp). At least, I presume it isn't now part of the source code. :p

Old Post 03-11-05 13:45 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

http://www.geocities.com/e6y/files/...prboom226_6.zip

Changes:
(-) smooth movement: doors activated by lines of the generalized types were not interpolated
(-) mouselook & fov: bugs in sky rendering

Old Post 03-14-05 09:49 #
entryway
Forum Staple

http://www.geocities.com/e6y/files/...prboom226_7.zip

Changes:
(-) smooth movement: "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: 11" bug during rendering of the first frames of heavy scenes (after opening doors)

Last edited by entryway on 03-22-05 at 10:31

Old Post 03-22-05 10:11 #
Pirx
Forum Regular

entryway said:

(+) full mouselook and FOV in GLBoom (without compatibility loss)

now that's great news.

btw, does it finally play back the alien vendetta demopack correctly?

Last edited by Pirx on 03-28-05 at 19:36

Old Post 03-27-05 01:17 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Janizdreg

A little suggestion: add an option for not drawing the player gun sprite in the freely rotatable & player locked view mode.

Also, would it be difficult to add a ZDoom-style chasecam demo playback view mode? Personally I'd love to see one implemented into PrBoom.

Old Post 04-02-05 20:53 #
Janizdreg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Torr Samaho said:
btw, does it finally play back the alien vendetta demopack correctly?
AFAIK Andrey hasn't made any changes to demo compatibility.

Which one(s) failed? In which version(s) of Prboom? I don't recall problems playing back AV demos. Are you using the right version of the wad (there were two releases, the initial release in late 2001 and the final one in late 2002)?

Janizdreg: There is a chasecam in Eternity and in Prboom 2.3.x, so there may be some ready-made code that could be borrowed.

BTW, I've been finding 226_7 pretty stable, so the various changes since 226_3 have mostly solved whatever the problems were w.r.t. my system.

Old Post 04-02-05 21:03 #
entryway
Forum Staple

Janizdreg said:
A little suggestion: add an option for not drawing the player gun sprite in the freely rotatable & player locked view mode.

I agree with you. It is my mistake. I thought that nobody uses the camera mode.

Old Post 04-02-05 22:16 #
Janizdreg

Found another bug: run the game with the -nomusic parameter, start a new game (via the menu) and either kill yourself or start a new game again and the music will start playing.

Old Post 04-04-05 18:11 #
entryway
Forum Staple

tnx

Old Post 04-04-05 22:00 #
VinceDSS

Grazza said:
The new version of the source is bloated by the inclusion of a long demo (30cmvi.lmp). At least, I presume it isn't now part of the source code. :p

how funny, this is the 30uv max I did with Xit Vono. At least I know one person watched it besides me and Vono :)

Old Post 04-06-05 14:07 #
VinceDSS is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kristian Ronge

Hey, don't say that... I watched it, and found it to be very enjoyable. Only, too bad it desynched PrBoom on map30. :-(

Old Post 04-11-05 20:39 #
Kristian Ronge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

prboom226_8.zip could be found on:
http://www.geocities.com/e6y/doom.html

Changes:
(-) found another bug: run the game with the -nomusic parameter, start a new game (via the menu) and either kill yourself or start a new game again and the music will start playing. (Janizdreg)
(*) not drawing the player gun sprite in the freely rotatable view mode (Janizdreg)
(-) smooth movement: interpolation did not work for moving platforms after savegame load
(-) GLBoom bug: wrong display of a middle texture if it exceeds the boundaries of its floor and ceiling. See http://www.geocities.com/e6y/files/...bugs/index.html

Last edited by entryway on 05-14-05 at 15:53

Old Post 05-14-05 15:38 #
Grazza
=/-

Shouldn't this be prboom226_9 (or at least prboom226_8a), to distinguish it from the prboom226_8 that you made available in April?

Old Post 05-14-05 18:17 #
entryway
Forum Staple

Grazza said:
Shouldn't this be prboom226_9 (or at least prboom226_8a), to distinguish it from the prboom226_8 that you made available in April?

Accessible for all? I dont remember that I did it. In any case - I've made this version yesterday.

(-) GLBoom bug: wrong display of a middle texture if it exceeds the boundaries of its floor and ceiling

If this works correctly, I think we should send the patch to the prboom devs.

Old Post 05-14-05 18:43 #
Grazza
=/-

entryway said:
Accessible for all? I dont remember that I did it. In any case - I've made this version yesterday.
It was on your site, even if you didn't make a post about it here. The exes are dated 5th April, and I've been using it for more than a month. No big deal, just I nearly didn't bother downloading this new version, assuming I already had it.

Old Post 05-14-05 18:55 #
entryway
Forum Staple

In the version dated 5th April I have corrected defects found by Janizdreg.

Old Post 05-14-05 19:04 #
entryway
Forum Staple

prboom226_9.zip
(-) bugs in the new algorithm of middle textures drawing

Old Post 05-15-05 22:49 #
entryway
Forum Staple

prboom226_10.zip
(+) GLBoom: detail texture support for walls and flats. Requires hi-end systems.
http://www.geocities.com/e6y/files/doom/my/detail.html

Old Post 06-19-05 16:35 #
Opulent

interesting, looks good.

I don't know much about such things, but are these standard GL functions, or card specific(ATI or nVidia, etc..)?

Old Post 06-19-05 19:49 #
Opulent is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Works nicely for me (P4 2200 MHz; 128MB nVidia GeForce 4). I'll try it with my notebook (newer, more powerful; totally different graphics card) later and let you know if there are any performance issues.

BTW, one feature that I'm sure would be welcomed in your version is a fix for the "monster_avoid_hazards" issue (see this post) so that it works correctly without needing the workaround described there. Another nice fix would be for it screwing up the header info if you record with MBF compatibility (I've reported both these in the Prboom sf forums).

Old Post 06-19-05 21:27 #
entryway
Forum Staple

Opulent said:
I don't know much about such things, but are these standard GL functions, or card specific(ATI or nVidia, etc..)?

I am also have a little understanding of programming OpenGL\DirectX. Detail texture's support is implemented via multitexturing if VideoCard supports it (http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/ex...RB_multitexture), or by two-pass method for any other cases.

Last edited by entryway on 06-21-05 at 10:54

Old Post 06-21-05 10:33 #
Grazza
=/-

OK, I've tested it a fair bit both on my desktop machine and my notebook (Centrino/Dothan 1.8, ATI Radeon Mobility 9700), and there is hardly any effect on performance. Any reduction in framerate is marginal (about 1% perhaps).

Maybe it looks a bit too grainy sometimes though. Are they any settings that affect the way it works, or is it all or nothing? And of course on some textures it just looks odd - you don't expect, e.g., brushed metal to look bumpy close-up. Presumably that couldn't be changed without some very clever programming though.

Overall, it's a good effect, and for now my default setting is to have it turned on.

Old Post 06-21-05 14:54 #
entryway
Forum Staple

Grazza said:
OK, I've tested it a fair bit both on my desktop machine and my notebook (Centrino/Dothan 1.8, ATI Radeon Mobility 9700), and there is hardly any effect on performance. Any reduction in framerate is marginal (about 1% perhaps).

p4 3.4 + Radeon 9800Pro
glboom.exe -timedemo lv28-304.lmp
code:
screen_width 1024 screen_height 768 gl_tex_filter_string "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" gl_tex_format_string "GL_RGB5_A1" use_fullscreen 1 render_usedetail 0 render_usedetailwalls 1 render_usedetailflats 1

= 570 FPS
code:
render_usedetail 1

= 430 FPS

Old Post 06-21-05 17:31 #