Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > ZDoom, Legacy, jDoom, SkullTag, etc.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nanami
not a woman

ZDoom has nice and easily editable slopes. It also has really nice skin support (unlike Legacy, which often freezes if you load too many skins). I can't comment on the scripting because I've never looked at it, but I've seen some good things done with it.
Legacy has 3D floors! And water and some other really nice editing abilities. FraggleScript has some very good points. Legacy made levels can have some amazing effects.
jDoom has some great effects (there's a lot of customizability about the status bar) and the MD2 models are simple to load. Legacy has MD2 models, but I've never gotten it to work. jDoom's layout is very nice to look at.
SkullTag has a lot of muliplayer options! Capture the flag, runes, good bots and skill levels, very nice looking new levels to play in.

Just out of curiosity, have any of these projects ever considered incorporating? I'd like to see a project with MD2 models, slopes, 3D floors, and capture the flag with bots and TCP\IP play.

Last edited by Nanami on 10-06-02 at 19:53

Old Post 10-06-02 19:47 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

wow, this is like the 20000th utopia port thread of the year.

Old Post 10-06-02 22:38 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. NobodX
I post goatse. Laugh at me.

Nanami said:
Legacy has 3D floors! And water and some other really nice editing abilities.

FYI You can do 3D floors and water with ZDOOM (Heck, you can even do it without source port! Ever played Requiem?)

Old Post 10-07-02 01:40 #
Mr. NobodX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

ZDoom can't do 3d floors, but it can do deep water...

Old Post 10-07-02 05:38 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

SlayeR said:
ZDoom can't do 3d floors

I think he means 3D bridges...

Old Post 10-07-02 06:33 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirjuddington

Well he should've said "fake 3d bridges then", shouldn't he? ;)

Old Post 10-07-02 06:43 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Nanami said:
Legacy has MD2 models, but I've never gotten it to work.
I could be wrong, but I thought this wasn't implemented yet (and that's why it's still only in the "development" menu).

Old Post 10-07-02 07:33 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Grazza said:
I could be wrong, but I thought this wasn't implemented yet (and that's why it's still only in the "development" menu).

I hadn't thought of that. That probably is why it's there. =\
Although I've played with MD2 models in Legacy before, and I've gotten green Cacodemons that move with half their body inside the floor and Imps that levitate motionlessly across the ground and shoot fireballs from their foreheads... That's always neat.

Old Post 10-07-02 13:46 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Nanami said:
Although I've played with MD2 models in Legacy before, and I've gotten green Cacodemons that move with half their body inside the floor and Imps that levitate motionlessly across the ground and shoot fireballs from their foreheads... That's always neat.
I've tried using them too, and as a result some of the monsters just became invisible, which makes for an interesting challenge. Still, the fact that using mds models doesn't crash Legacy isn't quite the same as them being supported.

Old Post 10-07-02 14:06 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Anyway, ZDoom and Legacy water is different. In ZDoom (unless it's changed since I did it last), you put a "water" item in a sector and it makes the whole sector underwater. There's no top or bottom, and you just swim on through it. With Legacy, you can define where the water top start, even where the bottom is (so you can have neat jello fall-through effects, I guess) and with switches you can make the water level rise or lower. Legacy water is a lot more fun, though you can't drown in it. Legacy Marines have gills!

Old Post 10-07-02 14:48 #
sirjuddington

Hmmm, ZDoom has swimmable water that can have a surface too:

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/demo.zip

Although it can't have water with a top and bottom that you can fall straight through, that's just silly :P

Old Post 10-07-02 15:18 #
Lobo
Forum Regular

EDGE has got swimmable water (in which you can drown too: There is a little air gauge that appears to show you how much air you've got left)
It's also got 3D floors.

Robotech: FirstGen TC / Edge Shell Launcher(ESL) Home page.

Old Post 10-07-02 18:53 #
Lobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. NobodX
I post goatse. Laugh at me.

Here's the way to do 3D floors with ZDoom: http://zdoom.notgod.com/zdkb/twostory.html
kinda buggy though :\

Old Post 10-07-02 20:53 #
Mr. NobodX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Nanami said:
...(there's a lot of customizability about the status bar)...

Explain this. I am unfimiliar with this aspect.

Old Post 10-08-02 02:24 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Options, HUD. Or something like that.

Show Health, Show Keys, Show Armor, Show Ammo.
RGB Scale for coloring the text.
Status bar size (duh).
Crosshair.
Crosshair size.

Some ports have this stuff, but I've never seen an RGB scale or "show x" stuff. Maybe some have it that I haven't seen. But I found it neat.

Old Post 10-08-02 02:37 #