Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EarthQuake

Doom95 MP Style

I've been messing around with the Doom95.exe and all of it's command line arguments, and I am wondering if I can achieve respawning in singleplayer without resetting the level (think deathmatch or coop).

Somehow I have did this before, but now I have just flat out forgot how to do it :(

It has to do with some combination of the -deathmatch, -altdeath, and -players command line args. I'm thinking that if I can initiate a multiplayer game with 1 node, I might be able to pull it off, however, my doom2.exe tricks aren't working here. Any ideas?

I know that's possible with Doom and Doom2 (through IPXSetup) using -nodes 1 as long as you have the IPX protocol installed (using either Cooperative or any of the two DeathMatch modes.) Maybe something similar is possible with Doom95. I haven't tried it myself, though.

So far I can get random spawning and deathmatch rules working by using -altdeath or -deathmatch, but nothing yet :|

There's a networking parameter, which must be -onet from what I see. I used it but it gave me an error (unable to locate network support.) Not sure if it's because of my settings or what... I haven't yet tried to connect two machines using Doom95.

-onet i believe has somethnig to do with dwango, which of course is non-existant now, so getting an error kinda makes sense.

I tried it anyway and got the same error.

Hmm, yeah. Doom uses a separate IPXSetup and you can "cheat" it by using -nodes 1 to get multiplayer with one person, but, as we have seen, in Doom95's case it seems that IPXDoom's equivalent capabilities are integrated into the Launcher format, and you can't tell it to sart a 1 player multiplayer game (from the command line the -player parameter is ignored.) Unless some of the unknown (supposedly for DWANGO) parameters allow you run it in actual multiplayer (maybe by adding some appropiate variables after the commands) I don't see how a 1 player multiplayer games is possible. Have you run multiplayer games using Doom95 without using the launcher?

Otherwise you'll have to stick to something else for this; either Doom, PrBoom, or something similar.

Iv'e tried every combination and I have even tried to use the dwango parameters as you've suggested, but nothing yet.

I think the whole experience was a figment of my imagination. Perhaps I did it with Doom2.exe and just thought I did it with Doom95.
Ahh well, thanks myk for trying to help. I guess I'll just have to finish my project without implementing the non-resettable spawning.

I'll keep trying, but I don't think its gonna happen :)

Oh btw, just a discovery I made: starting Doom95 with "-skill 0" will start the game with no things in it at all (no monsters, items, weapon, keycards, etc...).

Yeah, -skill 0 is pretty cool for checking a map barebones while editing; it works on Doom as well.