Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Templar

What you would like EDGE to have....

Ok so what do you think EDGE should include?

Improved AI for allies would be cool, like a command instead of SUPPORT_MEANDER which would be SUPPORT_FOLLOW where they follow you around.

Maybe some changes to the graphics engine. I remember the old EDGE ran a lot faster.

EDGE is a real engine, not this Zdoom fairy stuff heh heh

Templar said:

You fucking troll, haha. I'd be pissed if I thought there was a chance in hell you were serious, or credible even if you are serious.

Ultraviolet said:

I'd be pissed if I thought there was a chance in hell you were serious, or credible even if you are serious.

Why would you be pissed?

Templar said:

Ok so what do you think EDGE should include?

Improved AI for allies would be cool, like a command instead of SUPPORT_MEANDER which would be SUPPORT_FOLLOW where they follow you around.

Already been discussed to death over at the edge forum and will be looked into for the next release.

Maybe some changes to the graphics engine. I remember the old EDGE ran a lot faster.

Edge software mode is about to bite the bullet in favor of more dev effort/time on GL Edge. This will allow much more time and effort to be devoted to the rendering code, and speed up everything, since they'll optimize it while they're weeding out all the old software code.

Quasar said:

Let's keep it friendly in here, guys.

When wasn't it?

And by the way: WHOA, WHAT THE SHIT? SINCE WHEN DO WE HAVE A SOURCE PORTS FORUM?

Lobo said:

Edge software mode is about to bite the bullet in favor of more dev effort/time on GL Edge. This will allow much more time and effort to be devoted to the rendering code, and speed up everything, since they'll optimize it while they're weeding out all the old software code.

So would that mean that people with older and/or slower computers won't be able to use EDGE anymore? :(

For DDF I'd like to see:

More customizability to cheat codes.
Custom ammo types.
Get rid of the weapons limit.

For the EDGE engine I'd like to see:

a full screen HUD (like in Legacy or ZDoom)
Multiplayer support (as in DM and Coop)

That's about all I can think of at this time... I'll probably write more later.

Ultraviolet said:

I wouldn't really be. I'd just laugh at you.

your not doing yourself any favours violet, just making yourself look dumb. Dont let me stop you though

Templar said:

your not doing yourself any favours violet, just making yourself look dumb. Dont let me stop you though

The only one who made a really dumb statement here are you:

Lizardcommando said:

So would that mean that people with older and/or slower computers won't be able to use EDGE anymore? :(

I was concerned about this as well, since 95% of the time I use software Edge since it runs faster and doesn't have as many bugs as GL Edge. I was informed that the loss of Software Edge will be compensated for by the elimination of GL Edge bugs and a significant speed boost, or to put it another way, the next GL edge will be at least as good as the current software Edge in terms of performance. However you will obviously need an OpenGL graphics card...

Anyway, at the moment it looks like 1.28 will still have software mode, but after that...adios.

BTW the HUD issue is being looked into (as a matter of fact I think the code is done already).

Heh, isn't EDGE kinda pointless now that Eternity has EDF? Which reminds me . . . *downloads Eternity)

EDIT: Er, maybe not it still does have scripting and 3d floors. Whoops.

Grimm said:

Heh, isn't EDGE kinda pointless now that Eternity has EDF?

WTF?!

Isn't Doomworld kinda pointless now that we have NewDoom?

EDGE needs to run at a decent speed on most computers, smooth as hell software mode, uncapped framerate, slopes, Hexen and Heretic support as well as the ability to import things from either of these games straight into Doom or the other way around, cameras, interchangable sprites/textures/flats, several lumps to control things like terrain or graphic animations, png support, ACS, saturation levels for sectors, color translations on objects, smooth netcode, and a loving devoted team.

It may have some of these things, so if it does, ignore that part.

Nanami said:

EDGE needs to run at a decent speed on most computers, smooth as hell software mode, uncapped framerate, slopes, Hexen and Heretic support as well as the ability to import things from either of these games straight into Doom or the other way around, cameras, interchangable sprites/textures/flats, several lumps to control things like terrain or graphic animations, png support, ACS, saturation levels for sectors, color translations on objects, smooth netcode, and a loving devoted team.

Why does it need all these things?

Besides, if it had all that then it wouldn't be Edge would it? It'd be ZDoom!! :)

EDGE has been doing a pretty good job doing things its own way (maybe later someone kinda copied the idea, but EDGE was the first with highly editable engine capabilities.) It certainly doesn't need junk already available for other engines.

The only thing it should certainly have is compatibility with previous versions of the engine, the future versions should be able read EDGE specific info from wads created for earlier versions; even if at the same time it fixes structures or grammar or whatever for newly-made add-ons.

Lobo said:

Isn't Doomworld kinda pointless now that we have NewDoom?

No, on the contrary. Newdoom is pointless. (And as it already had turned out in
the past, Doomcenter was somewhat too, as it closed later.)

Doomcenter did close because it's whole network got shut down. In fact DC was a lot better than DW. I wish bigd would do some of his 1337 features for DW now :|

Nanami said:

So in other words: EDGE needs to become ZDoom, right? :-D

I really don't see why people cream themselves over ZDoom so much. Scripting, whoooooo! Frankly, I think Massmouth 2 sucked, and considering it was supposed to be the uber example of how much ZDoom pwns with scripting, that doesn't say much. Now, I haven't yet played The Void, but it's about the only thing that could make me beleive in ZDoom. Sure, it can add some really cool shit to your levels, but that's all it is. It's nothing definitively important. 3D floors, ROR, DDF/EDF are all waaaaaayyy more important than scripting. Instead of facitonalizing like dumbasses, we need to get these down into one port, and then worry about the other things. But, of course, because that'd be "too difficult" and "very unreliable" I guess it won't happen anytime soon. Maybe by the time Doom 4 comes out we'll have true 3D and DDF-style lack o' limits.

Grimm said:

3D floors, ROR, DDF/EDF are all waaaaaayyy more important than scripting.

No.

Grimm said:

Damn, what a useful contribution, NiGHTMARE.

Well, that's because your post required no argument. It was simply wrong in every possible way.

Grimm said:

Damn, what a useful contribution, NiGHTMARE.

Well, he was right. Your post was lacking any real substance. It was just pointless ZDoom bashing. But if you use Massmouth as an example why scripting is useless - well, I like ZDoom but Massmouth 2 is certainly not the kind of WAD that should be used as an example. Its scripting was great but overall I found it far to odd. A really good scripting demo would be 007LTSD because there the scripting enhances the gameplay, it doesn't define it.

Plus, if EDGE's features were so superior compared to ZDoom as you say, tell me, why are there so few maps made for it? The very best maps for EDGE don't come even close to a large number of stuff that has been made for ZDoom.

Grimm said:
3D floors, ROR, DDF/EDF are all waaaaaayyy more important than scripting.

Well, no.

3D floors (ROR) are great, sure, but you have to be very skilled to put them to good use. The only WAD I have seen so far that uses them well has been Nimrod (for Legacy). And that is a WAD that uses extensive scripting! (which according to you is not important!) ZDoom has slopes which can be equally well used.

DDF/EDF would also be nice if there was someone who'd use it efficiently (and that does not include weapons mods). Personally, I play Doom to fight Doom's monsters. Too many TC's have the problem that they take away the look and feel of the game, use totally ugly graphics replacements or just contain bad maps. (And that's not EDGE specific. There are tons of TC's made with Dehacked that fit this criteria)

Heh, this is my personal opinion but Massmouth and Massmouth2 have much better scripts than LSTD. Not just the way they're used, but also looking through the script lumps.

Anyway, you're correct, the only level I've seen with good ROR was Nimrod, and it had many scripted events as well. If anyone thinks scripts are useless, they're living under a rock.