What you would like EDGE to have....

Graf Zahl said:

My favorite is still this:

if(!(actor->flags & MF_FRIEND && P_LookForTargets(actor, false)) &&
      !((targ) &&  // haleyjd: removed assignment here
        targ->flags & MF_SHOOTABLE &&
        (P_SetTarget(&actor->target, targ),
         !(actor->flags & MF_AMBUSH) || P_CheckSight(actor, targ))) &&
      (actor->flags & MF_FRIEND || !P_LookForTargets(actor, false)))
         return;
It took me half a day to rewrite this in a way I could read that worked the same. And that for 7 lines of code...

Me too. As you can tell, I had to modify it slightly to keep deaf enemies from being able to spuriously see you when you are totally invisible. I almost never figured out what to change or how, but I finally realized I needed to isolate the assignment of "targ" and do it up above, so that I could test for the MF2_DONTDRAW flag before it got into that giant horrible mess ;)

Nanami said:

Well I've heard the name but didn't really know who he was... Anyway, back to this:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? =P

Good, mostly ;)

Quasar said:

Good, mostly ;)

I haven't written many overly complex things. There is this though:

HudmessageBold(n:0,s:"\cC: ",d:lap[PlayerNumber()]-1,s:lapfrac[point[PlayerNumber()]%4];0,11+PlayerNumber(),9,1.0,0.3+0.025*(PlayerNumber()+1),0);
I wrote that for ZooM, and it's probably the most complicated thing in all of ZooM's scripts (ZooM doesn't call for anything I'd consider overly complex).

I find it fascinating that a thread about Edge has degenerated into a ZDoom coding best practices discussion.

Go get your own thread ZDoomers!! ;)

none of those posts are about zdoom scripting, they're doom source snips (from zdoom and eternity) in C, and they also pertain to optimizing code, something that ought to be looked into for edge :P

Cyb said:

none of those posts are about zdoom scripting, they're doom source snips (from zdoom and eternity) in C, and they also pertain to optimizing code, something that ought to be looked into for edge :P

To be fair, mine was about a ZDoom script.

Anyway, threads roll off topic all the time, that's how it is. Just because it started one way doesn't mean it'll end that way. If you want to get it back on track, post something about the original topic.

Cyb said:

none of those posts are about zdoom scripting, they're doom source snips (from zdoom and eternity) in C, and they also pertain to optimizing code

Oh, OK. The previous posts obviously have got absolutely nothing to do with ZDoom coding best practices then (!?)

And who said anything about ZDoom scripting? If you read my previous post carefully you'll see I didn't.

Hmm, all I saw were posts about various ZDoom or Eternity wads and many snips of code. No Edge maps or coding was posted about. But hey, I probably skipped most of it 'cause it was all greek to me.

I'd like to see those fake 3D bridges get support in Edge. When I play wads like the community chest megawad, I end up having to be more careful than I should be on the bridges, and half the time end up trapped in between the linedefs on the floor below.

And a few up to date DDF tutorials would be nice.

Dunbar said:

Hmm, all I saw were posts about various ZDoom or Eternity wads and many snips of code. No Edge maps or coding was posted about. But hey, I probably skipped most of it 'cause it was all greek to me.

This wasn't aboud WADs, it was about the actual C-code of the EXE!

Well to maybe turn this thread back on track, the only really important thing that EDGE needs IMO is a GL mode that doesn't look like raw ass. 32-bit color mode would help here a lot for starters, it's pretty bad when the 16-bit mode loses shades of the already limited 8-bit global palette.

Also, the man has been on the moon, but can't make some sprites look like they should? They should "sink" to the floor, not get cut off or float. It just looks really stupid either way, and is - believe it or not - a major reason why I stick to software ports.

And someone wondered why there's no maps for EDGE. Well I've no idea. However, I was planning to make a small episode for EDGE, but I lost all interest in it. I made one complete level and a short start of another. I guess I could just release it as-is now that I think of it, I doubt I'll ever get around to finishing it.

Espi said:

And someone wondered why there's no maps for EDGE. Well I've no idea.

My belief is simply that the better mappers around prefer ZDoom's features. The only advantage EDGE has over ZDoom is DDF and you really need that only for TC's.

Espi said:

Also, the man has been on the moon, but can't make some sprites look like they should? They should "sink" to the floor, not get cut off or float. It just looks really stupid either way, and is - believe it or not - a major reason why I stick to software ports.

Maybe if it was possible in OpenGL/D3D they would have already done it. Unfortunately, it's not, since Doom is only fake 3d, and OpenGL/D3D are true 3d...

ok
edge 1.27 is actual,in text are note for 1.28,so i interest for olds verzion of this mod 1.24,1.25,1.26.
where i can found it
thanks

im sorry for my english speak...