Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

DevDoom is going to save EDGE

Hello again.

Do you really like EDGE but move away from it because of its features? Engine slow-downs? Ugly palettes? Etc?
Then you're in luck.
Lithium Tech, who created the Blood 1 Plasma Pack sequel, stopped by with an offer on making EDGE better.
So, me being a huge fan of EDGE, took the offer.
So, DevDoom was born! Taking everything from EDGE and doing it better, it's a source of a source port!
Out with Zdoom! Out with Legacy! But keep Jdoom in (cause it's Damn good) because DevDoom (or DevEdge) is coming to town!
It's been in development for only 2 weeks, and I know EDGE fanatics would love to see it in action, so help out Lithium Tech and The Doom Gods by showing support! Lobo, I know you want to help!
This source is being coded from extracts from Zdoom and ZBoom, plus newer stuff. Trust us: this will revive support in EDGE.
Don't believe me? Drop by Lobo's forums (http://reu.150m.com in the forums section) and start the flaming.
We're serious about this enchancement for EDGE. If you don't believe them, then don't. I respect that, however. When you see it yourself, then you'll believe.
Release Date: 2/24/04

Can't find anything of it in the forums.

But still, my reaction to this topic can be summed up in one word: OOOH.

Who needs EDGE? It hasn't been used efficiently in the past and I seriously doubt that this will help for the future. ZDOOM rules!

why do people act like there should be some sort of competition between source ports... they're free fucking source ports coded by people in their spare time, you can use however many you like

Of course there's competiton. People want to enjoy all doom without having to enjoy all doom. Go figure.

there's not competition between source ports, there's competition between people who use them

DevDoom is going to rock because everything you didn't like about EDGE is going to be fixed. It will also allow easier editing (as if EDGE wasn't easy enough)!
Just post a topic in the forums and it'll start. Haven't had time to update anything on it.
DevDoom is unique because it improves upon EDGE. So instead of waiting for EDGE 1.28, wait for DevDoom 0.01! Like I said, it's going to blow everything else out of the water. It's just going to take some time.
Competition? I don't care about that, I just want to save EDGE and have more people recognize it!

Without a doubt, it was absolutely clear that ZDoom was teh superior with
1.22 and above.
- stable (well uh.. Legacy has become stable again ^_^)
- fast (which other non-GL engine has uncapped FPS?)
- editing features (who has cameras, slopes, and much the more?)
nuff.

Grimm said:

Yeah, until you try to add something new in.

Heh, Legacy did that, aka Fragglescript... I still see no change in favorite
ports ;)

Grimm said:

Yeah, until you try to add something new in.

If there was even one good WAD that put DDF/EDF/etc. to good use I'd agree. However there is not. All I can see being developed are weapons mods. Rather useless if you ask me.

And no, I don't count QDoom. It's the only thing coming even close to showing EDGE's power but - why do such a shitty Quake conversion??? :-(

Graf Zahl said:

And no, I don't count QDoom. It's the only thing coming even close to showing EDGE's power but - why do such a shitty Quake conversion??? :-(

what would be a good quake conversion then?

Graf Zahl, man, What is your problem with Edge? Did it enter your bedroom and touch you up as a child or something? Jesus! Everytime an Edge-related thread appears, there you are bashing this source port! If you don't like it, just ignore it! I don't even understand WHY you bother reading these threads if you hate the port that much.

Graf Zahl said:

If there was even one good WAD that put DDF/[/B]EDF(EDF in Edge = eh?)[B]/etc. to good use I'd agree. However there is not. All I can see being developed are weapons mods. Rather useless if you ask me.

I agree with you there, which is why my TC has only three (maybe 4) Weapons. I am going out of my way to SQUEEZE Edges capabilities for all they're worth. I really want to make an Edge TC which will showcase Edges possibilities, much like QDoom did when it came out.

Corbachu said:

DevDoom is going to rock because everything you didn't like about EDGE is going to be fixed.

Corbachu, have you actually reported the problems you find to the Edge team? All of the ones I've reported are being fixed (or are already fixed) for Edge 1.28, which may just make it's appearence for Christmas! :)

Lobo said:

Graf Zahl, man, What is your problem with Edge? Did it enter your bedroom and touch you up as a child or something? Jesus! Everytime an Edge-related thread appears, there you are bashing this source port! If you don't like it, just ignore it! I don't even understand WHY you bother reading these threads if you hate the port that much.

I have nothing against EDGE itself, it's just the only major source port for which I haven't seen anything that utilizes it well. An personally I seriously doubt that will ever change. And as long as that stays so I honestly thing it isn't worth the effort that is put into it

Think about it:
ZDoom has tons of special maps that use it well
Doomsday has the Doom64 TC
Legacy has at least Nimrod
EDGE has: ????

Graf Zahl said:

Think about it:
ZDoom has tons of special maps that use it well
Doomsday has the Doom64 TC
Legacy has at least Nimrod
EDGE has: ????

Always the same from people who just couldn't be bothered even LOOKING...

Big Freaks Day Out
BugHunt
Commander Doom TC
Covert Ops
UAC on HAPAL
EB Doom
Espi's Site
GoldenEye TC
Immoral Conduct
Jxt's Lost Lexicon
Lizard Commando
Lock N Load
Marines Of UAC
PlanetFall
QDoom
Relapse
Ultimate Hell TC
Wild Weasel
And of course Robotech: FirstGen

How's that?

Lobo, you forgot to mention Don's Challenge. Excellent mod right there, and it shows off a lot that EDGE can do.

People who pick favorites and bash when it comes to the topic of source ports are only secluding themselves from all the different aspects of doom there are. For the love of the severed Carmack head of map30, why can't we all just get along?

Grimm said:

Well, EDGE does still have 3D floors and scripting . . .

In my book, RTS doesn't count as scripting. It's as powerful as DOS's batch files.

Dunbar said:

Lobo, you forgot to mention Don's Challenge. Excellent mod right there, and it shows off a lot that EDGE can do.

Can you give me a link? I'd really like to see something that uses EDGE well.

People who pick favorites and bash when it comes to the topic of source ports are only secluding themselves from all the different aspects of doom there are. For the love of the severed Carmack head of map30, why can't we all just get along?

Everybody has favorites, that's normal. It's just that I honestly think that EDGE isn't worth my effort. Why? Because from the overall tone when it comes to EDGE discussions I always get the feeling that most people here don't use it.

Chu said:

Out with Zdoom!

Chu said:

This source is being coded from extracts from Zdoom and ZBoom

Lobo said:

Always the same from people who just couldn't be bothered even LOOKING...

Big Freaks Day Out
BugHunt
Commander Doom TC
Covert Ops
UAC on HAPAL
EB Doom
Espi's Site
GoldenEye TC
Immoral Conduct
Jxt's Lost Lexicon
Lizard Commando
Lock N Load
Marines Of UAC
PlanetFall
QDoom
Relapse
Ultimate Hell TC
Wild Weasel
And of course Robotech: FirstGen

How's that?

Yes, I know most of them but I'd hardly call even one of them showcase material. Some are solid productions, some are mediocre and some aren't Doom anymore.

Dunbar said:

For the love of the severed Carmack head of map30, why can't we all just get along?

One thing I've noticed is that virtually whenever there's a EDGE or Legacy-related thread, it either starts of with or quickly evolves into ZDoom-bashing. Often when there's a ZDoom-related thread, that evolves into ZDoom-bashing too.

Graf Zahl said:

Yes, I know most of them but I'd hardly call even one of them showcase material. Some are solid productions, some are mediocre and some aren't Doom anymore.

And several of them are websites, so unless EDGE has web browser capabilities...

You people should all just shut up and wait for DOOM 3, or something.

Dunbar said:

For the love of the severed Carmack head of map30, why can't we all just get along?

It's Romero :P

Edit: and what's Zboom?

NiGHTMARE said:

And several of them are websites, so unless EDGE has web browser capabilities...

That are probably the ones I don't know. ;-D
Anyway, interesting that the EDGE supportes have to use false advertising... ;-)

boris said:

It's Romero :P

Edit: and what's Zboom?

ZDoom! After all it's nearly 100% Boom compatible. Many of the outstanding issues have been fixed in the lastest versions.