Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomDiz

Do ANY SP's run on XP!?!?!?!

The problem is simple, I can make my own levels, but I have no way to run them! Need a nice source port that won't get fragged by my XP Pro.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use XP and all source ports are working and functional.

But if you want a nice stable one that's good all around, get Zdoom. It's pretty much the universal source port these days.

All the 'advanced' source ports have win32 versions: PrBoom, Zdoom, Legacy, Eternity....
Personally, I'd recommend PrBoom since that is as close as you can get to the real game in a win32 environment.

i'd recommend eternity for being (in my experience) the most stable port that's fully compatible with doom(2).exe. it also comes installed more like doom.exe than prboom (with no modified HUD colors or recoil). not to mention prboom is tweaking with the renderer now..

sargebaldy said:

not to mention prboom is tweaking with the renderer now..

So what? I haven't seen any negative side effects. The mere fact that Eternity still doesn't support any true high resolutions keeps me from using it. Today 640x400 doesn't count as 'high resolution' anymore and looks truly ugly on larger monitors - if it works at all! On mine it doesn't.

Plus, Eternity is messing around with the standard game settings as much as PrBoom so I'd choose the better looking one and that's clearly PrBoom with its OpenGL renderer. But use 2.2.4, not 2.3.0. It seems to be more stable. After all, 2.3.0 is just a beta (as are all newer Eternity versions ;-) )

i for one don't think glboom looks as nice as eternity, or even doom.exe. it just looks blurred and it's always been very unstable for me (feet clip in ground, face disappears every now and then off status bar, crashes a lot, etc).

Graf Zahl said:

So what? I haven't seen any negative side effects.

But use 2.2.4, not 2.3.0. It seems to be more stable.

sargebaldy said:

i for one don't think glboom looks as nice as eternity, or even doom.exe. it just looks blurred and it's always been very unstable for me (feet clip in ground, face disappears every now and then off status bar, crashes a lot, etc).

We all know your preferences. :-D But saying that Doom2.exe looks better than a hi-res OpenGL port... Well, my only suggestion to anyone who wants to have an improved Doom can be to disregard your opinion. :-p

My suggestions are:

-If you just want to play Doom(2) and 100% compatible levels, I recommend Doomsday. Nothing looks better but it doesn't feature any of Boom's enhanced editing features.

-If you don't want a hardware accelerated (OpenGL) version but maximum compatibility and high resolutons, use PrBoom.

-If you want the best Doom port available use ZDoom.

Thanks guys. Looks like prboom will do it for me. My "WAD Factory" is up and running once again!! :)

zdoom is best in single-player experience
legacy is best in graphic
zdaemon is best in multiplayer

how many time do i hav to tell all of u doomers