Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the freak

Legacy

Right you'll have more bugs in the beginning, that's understandable. But hopefully the stable C++ version will be more stable than the current. The current source just seems kind of messy in some areas, especially where the hardware renderer comes into play.

DarkWolf said:

Right you'll have more bugs in the beginning, that's understandable. But hopefully the stable C++ version will be more stable than the current.

I hope so, too. I want to play Nimrod again and the current Legacy version messes up my system config so I don't dare starting it. :-(

... I'm guessing the midi\sound volume settings. Pure evil.

Given, things like the segment violations are worse, but when the music you're piping through WinAmp get's more quiet because Legacy has a different sound fx setting it gets quite annoying. I wonder why the one "responsible" for it didn't think it was going to be a problem.

exile said:

Given, things like the segment violations are worse, but when the music you're piping through WinAmp get's more quiet because Legacy has a different sound fx setting it gets quite annoying. I wonder why the one "responsible" for it didn't think it was going to be a problem.

I guess it doesn't affect me so much, since I usually don't have external music on when playing a game - however, it's a ridiculous way of implementing volume. Surely it can't be that much more effort to implement it properly.

With the C++ edition this will be fixed and probably already has. No point in fixing the C version then porting it. :)

exile said:

... I'm guessing the midi\sound volume settings. Pure evil.

You guessed right! But if it messes up this what else? In such cases I always play it safe and don't use software that's doing stuff like this. If it will be fixed in the next version, great! I'm looking forward to playing Nimrod again. ;-)

I guess it doesn't affect me so much, since I usually don't have external music on when playing a game - however, it's a ridiculous way of implementing volume. Surely it can't be that much more effort to implement it properly.

It would have been sufficient to reset the volume after quitting. This sound volume issue was something that was driving me crazy for a long time because I had no idea who was doing this. When I found out I was quite angry. Yes, it's little things like this that give software a bad reputation!

Yeah the sound engine in the C++ version is using SDL Mixer, and sounds damn aweseom, aside from the odd skipping that needs to be ironed out.

Hey maybe Legacy can help solve a problem we have in Eternity. When Eternity plays more than one instance of the same sound at the same time, they add up seemingly exponentially in volume, and it makes my speakers just about burst. It's REALLY annoying, and I don't have a clue what in the mixing code is responsible for that behavior or how to fix it. Anybody got an idea?

(Eternity's mixing code comes from prboom, but has had a few bugs fixed here and there).

Well Quasar, for the C version, when sounds do play at the same time (ie for rising stairs) the sounds do build up and cause the effect you mentioned, and it also slows down my comp drastically when this is happening. I dont know about the C++ version though, i havnt tested it extensively...

Quasar: You can email Hurdler and SmiteMeister about the code and probably get some help. Heh just keep in mind they aren't the most talkative people in the world so be patient. :p You can find the email here.

Is Hurdlers email still being flooded with simple questions? Its been a while since ive known...that might delay the response, having to sift throught those.

It's been a while since I checked the legacy mail but we didn't get flooded with questions. When we do it's simple enough just to give them the link to the forum and say "find your answer there".