Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ob3kenob

Bug when using DeePsea 11.83 shareware in Win2000

I just downloaded and installed Deepsea, which is supposed to work under Windows 2000 - and it does. BUT the unregistered version apparently also makes it impossible to use ZDoom or ZDoomGL (which I have in separate folders on my C: drive) for viewing ongoing work on a map done in Wad Author or even running standard Doom or Doom II! I use ZDoom Launcher, but even going directly to the respective .exe files doesn't work.

I have now uninstalled and deleted Deepsea and deleted and re-installed both ZDoom and ZDoomGL, and I continue to get the same error message. Which is: "You cannont -file with shareware version. Register!" I'm posting a bug fix to the Deepsea website, but thought someone here might have run into the same thing and knows how to deal with it. Of course, the message will presumably go away as soon as I register Deepsea (it better!!!), which I want to do anyway in order to use large maps, but the problem should not exist in the first place.

sounds to me like you've changed the path variable to your Iwad.
depending upon how you launch the game, you might be able to fix that easily.
I'd email Deep for assistance.

ob3kenob said:
I have now uninstalled and deleted Deepsea and deleted and re-installed both ZDoom and ZDoomGL, and I continue to get the same error message. Which is: "You cannont -file with shareware version. Register!"

You cannot run add-on levels with the shareware version of Doom. Most ports have kept this feature, so that is why you see that message when trying to run an add-on with ZDoom for the shareware Doom version. This has nothing to do with Deepsea.

Actually, I am using a registered version of Doom, unless I'm a lot more confused than usual. That's possible, certainly, but in this case I think I'm safe -- the only shareware versions of either Doom or Doom II I have are on floppy disks, and they're stuck away in a box somewhere, side-by-side with Catacombs and the teaser disks for the two original Wolfensteins.

And speaking of boxes, I still have the ones for all the original games, including the Quake series, as well. Opening up Doom with Doom 95 (which still works), I find all four episodes of Ultimate Doom listed. So it's the complete version, all right, not the shareware, and therefore I guess I'm doing OK on the registered ownership score, and it's back in Deepsea's court again - or still.

But thanks for the advice, and if nothing else, you made me check myself to be sure I'm still honest. It's necessary on an infrequent basis, since I tend to drift. ;-P

ob3kenob said:

I just downloaded and installed Deepsea, which is supposed to work under Windows 2000 - and it does. BUT the unregistered version apparently also makes it impossible to use ZDoom or ZDoomGL ... etc

As I emailed you on 12/19/2003 (and I wish you had posted the same information here), the version you were using (11.38) is very old. The current version is 11.83. After you installed 11.83 that message went away as you found out in an email to me on 12/20/2003.

-------------
Btw, this post should have been moved to editing. I just happened to be browsing while getting pissed at my hosting company - been down for 2 days :)