Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

I noticed something about Doom95...

Play Doom(2).exe, Zdoom, or any other source port (except an old version of Boom). Then play Doom95. Doesn't Doom95's sound effects sound lower pitched? I realized that they were about 500-700 points lower in frequency than the original Dooms or source ports. Why so? I made a wad so they would be the right pitch but you can't use more than one wad at a time with Doom95, or can you...?

... just something I noticed...

Yes. I believe that the parameter -nosfxformat kind of diminishes that difference. In ZDoom's case, it depends on what frequency you choose for the sounds; you can make it sound like Doom's (11025) or pretty much like Doom95's (not sure which the exact frequency would be here.)

How would I use -nosfxformat?

Like this?
(Keep in mind this is my directory)
C:\games\smoke\doom95 -nosfxformat

Is that how you do it? If so, I tried it and it might do SOMETHING but I can't notice.

Well, I tried it and it didn't notice a difference in sound.

That's why I don't like Doom95 >:(

Odd. In between playing Doom95 and playing ZDoom, I've never noticed a difference in sound. And this is coming from a guy who can listen to two very similar versions of one song and spot exact differences.

True, ZDoom's default sounds like it must be around the same frequency (it's 44100, I think.) Also, the DOS version tends to sound somewhat more sonorous on actual DOS than on Windows (98), at least using my sound card.

you know what else i learned about doom95?
IT SUCKS!!

yea it is lower sound. dont know why though. also there were 2 new cheats added in doom 95. a notarget kind, i think and a kill alot of the enemies on the map

Yeah, I think Doom95 sucks too. At least with Doom95 cds they included the cool DOS version. That is actually better than Doulm95. As many wads as you want, mouse support, but no better resolutions.

if i recall doom95 was really a port done by microsoft to show off directX, new at that time.

thats why the source isnt out, i would guess. also why it was never updated. i dont see Id producing something that buggy with no patches. it was just a demo port.
features i remember being broken
demos and at time res

other misc bugs
more common to get the famous visplane overflow, or atleast i remembered it happening more on doom95

some wads would not work

res changes could be a bit strange. spirits or lines would be missing.

i dont think i ever got online/net play to work.

needless to say it was bad, even for its time. most noobs dont know any better. i didnt learn of zdoom until version 1.17 and then used 1.18c for a long time. also had used legacy
this was when the ports where in their infancy. on the 486 i used DOS doom and then latter boom

Bashe said:
As many wads as you want, mouse support, but no better resolutions.

Hmm? Doom95 loads as many wads as you want, and has mouse support. The mouse fails on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, where the DOS version does not work correctly with sound anyway. Reportedly there was a release which was missing dmouse.vxd, the file that manages the mouse for Doom95.

Sephiroth said:
if i recall doom95 was really a port done by microsoft to show off directX, new at that time.

I don't think that's the main reason they made it. Mostly it's because it was simply convenient to make a version of the game specifically for their OS, since the game was popular... it just helped people like Windows 95 more if they could play DOOM on it.

thats why the source isnt out, i would guess.

Heh. I don't think Microsoft tends to release the sources of its products.

features i remember being broken
demos and at time res

The demo recording DLL has an issue that won't let you record. You can use the command line to record (on Run, a shortcut, or a batch file) or get the unofficial patch that fixes the issue on the launcher altogether. The GFX resolutions aren't particularly buggy at all.

more common to get the famous visplane overflow, or atleast i remembered it happening more on doom95

Obviously it's there since this is pretty much a port of the game, not a modification. And it is generally less frequent than on id's DOS engine, since the threshold was increased.

some wads would not work

Very rarely, unless you mean the ones that require a DeHackEd patched engine to work. DeHackEd is specific to the original DOS engine, naturally.

res changes could be a bit strange. spirits or lines would be missing.

What's that? Spirits...?

i dont think i ever got online/net play to work.

I believe it's not made for online play... or if it is in part, that's an unexploited or unknown part of the engine. Basically it offers local networking support.

most noobs dont know any better.

Newbies who still need to find out some things are one thing; then there's people who go on and on repeating the same bullshit they vaguely heard or think they recall. Newbies generally gradually inform themselves. I don't know about these others...

I don't recall being able to use as many wads as you want. I thought you could only select one in that "custom wads" box.

turns out you don't need to use the launcher, you can just command line "doom95.exe -hi"

Sephiroth said:

IT SUCKS!!

yea it is lower sound. dont know why though. also there were 2 new cheats added in doom 95. a notarget kind, i think and a kill alot of the enemies on the map

Those cheats happen to be fhshh (notarget) and fhhall (deals 10,000 points of damage to all enemies, excluding Lost Souls and Icon of Sins.)

I don't really like doom95 much, for alot of reasons of course. :D But I had no idea it had new cheats, "unnoficial patches", or even command line paramaters. But I should try some of this stuff out just for the heck of it.

Sephiroth said:

IT SUCKS!!

That's an awesome soundbite man. Never really got into 95 myself - did a lot of DOSing then switched to Legacy, and finally to skulltag for the most part.