Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

GL Troubles

Normally I'm not a fan of any GL port, ever... but today I decided to revisit a Legacy map I was making for a group megawad. Now, a couple of months ago I upgraded my OS from Win98 to Win2000 Pro. Before this switch, GL mode worked fine. Now when I try to play any level in GL mode, the "loading" message takes forever to finish loading... then in-game I may be lucky to get one frame per second. What's more, the monitor seems incapable of showing red at this point; the screen is only made up of green and blue colors, and things that are all-red like text and numbers are displayed in black.

I get the feeling this is more of a problem with my switch to 2000 Pro, or GL itself. I'm not sure where the problem comes from. Has anyone else has this problem, and what did you do?

Did you remember to upgrade your video card's drivers to ones compatible with Windows 2000? It could be that 2K can't cope with your Win 98 drivers, and is trying to render OpenGL in software mode instead (which, more often than not, results in a very slow game).

Thanks for that suggestion, turns out the card driver was among the many that 2k attempted to replace with its own generic driver. Bleh.

Well, I just got around to installing this today, also (re) installed DirectX 9.0c. GL seems to work fine... except for this one try I just did. I've launched Legacy GL about five or six times for wad testing since I reinstalled the driver, and this last time it... well, it screwed up the picture, to put it simply. Not sure how else to explain it, but it seems when Legacy tried to change the resolution (or something else) back to normal (which is 800*600, 32-bit color as compared to the 640*480 I use in Doom ports), it screwed up. I got about the top 40% of my screen showing nothing, another 40% of random BS pixels, at the the bottom of the screen was the TOP of what it was supposed to show (and even this was shifted to the right about 10%). I managed to restart the computer and this fixed it. Any idea what could have caused this? I'm not looking forward to having to restart the computer every fifth time I test. :-/

Try posting on the legacy forum?

There is no advantage to having legacy run in 32bit color, the textures aren't 32bit.

Could also be the monitor driver. Is it running on 'default' or 'plug and play'?

I don't really run it in 32bit, but then I'm not sure what running it in GL entails color-wise.

That's true, I think the monitor was another thing that 2k tried to replace...