Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

eargosedown said:

I updated to newer version to look at a demo (this one, actually) and with the latest version I'm getting no audio at all.

2.5.1.1 or 2.5.1.2.test? do you extract all files from ZIP? (btw, 2.5.1.2.test has no any soundfont inside)

I've had random freezes on Linux for at least the last 6 versions.

At first I thought my laptop (32-bit, Ubuntu) was the cause so I didn't bother reporting it but I've recently had them on my desktop (64-bit, Fedora) too.

The freezes happen on both IWADs and PWADs, at no particular point in a map, and I can re-play the same area and it works fine. The mouse just freezes, I can't Alt+Tab out, and the music keeps playing. The only way I can get rid of it is to Ctrl+F2 to a text terminal and "kill -9" the prboom-plus process. I then need to re-set my screen resolution.

My last error in terminal was

*** glibc detected *** /home/superjamie/doom/prboom-plus/prboom-plus: corrupted double-linked list: 0x0000000002180bb0 ***

I'll start wrapping the binary in "strace" when I run it now, hopefully I'll get some useful output. Is there anything else I can do to help debug?

Super Jamie: Sorry to hear it, I know how annoying being dumped back in your window manager stuck at 640x480 can be... Anyway, strace isn't going to help much, free isn't a syscall and doesn't necessarily go over the kernel/userspace border. ltrace might be better, or even running the thing under gdb and trying to get a backtrace. If you find anything, though, I suspect it will be in a library, not directly in pr+. If you're still using SDL_Mixer to play the music, either turn off music or at least try one of the other new music players (fluidsynth, OPL emulation, etc.)

Actually I'm glad it just dumps me back into the DE! I've had crashes in other programs which hardlock the system or force a reboot in some way, now that's annoying. Thanks for the suggestions for ltrace and gdb, I'll use those and get info if I'm able.

Libraries had occurred to me as well. The distros I'm using are at least a year old each (Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 14) so it's not unfeasible that relevant bugs have been fixed between now and then. I'll upgrade to F16 sometime soon.

I've tried the OPL2 option but I couldn't get it working, I get the messages

vorb_registersong: failed
Exp_RegisterSongEx: Couldn't find preferred music player mad mp3 player in list
(typo or support not included at compile time)
Exp_RegisterSongEx: Couldn't find preferred music player dumb tracker player in list
(typo or support not included at compile time)

even though I have madplayer and dumb (32- and 64-bit versions) installed. I assumed it was a Windows-only option, or do I need to install mad/dumb dev packages and recompile?

Mike.Reiner said:

Is there anyway the alternative HUD for PrBoom-Plus could show more ammo information, similar perhaps to ZDoom?

Specifically the ammo count for the four different types of ammo.

I reworked HUD system in PrBoom-Plus, so now it's possible to add new HUDs easily. All of them are stored in text lump (-PRBHUD-) in prboom-plus.wad. Something like that:

hud 5
tracers 2 167
medict_icon_big 4 -198
health_big 35 -198
armor_icon_big -316 -198
armor_big -283 -198
gkeys -316 4

I have already added reworked HUDs from EE and Risen3d

Examples:

oO

Compare and contrast with life at 100+ and armor at 100+, where everything is aligned.

One or the other makes sense, but having the relative position of each value shift consistently just doesn't make for great usability or aesthetics.

I know it also moves (albeit in a different way) in earlier versions, but it's nowhere near as drastic, to the point that it can be ignored easily. Regardless, that doesn't make any sense to me. :|

Edit: my bad. Sorry for being confusing.

Super Jamie said:

I've had random freezes on Linux for at least the last 6 versions.

I've random freezes on windows 7 for at least the last 3 versions.
It's sound related.
I'm playing fullscreen, ctrl alt del doesn't work, so I have to restart. My hardware: Asrock z68 pro3 which uses Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec.

Coldfusio said:

I've random freezes on windows 7 for at least the last 3 versions.
It's sound related.

With any music player? Or it is SFX related?

entryway said:

With any music player? Or it is SFX related?

No, I don't have any music player on nor do I have any special effects program running.( but I had the creative soundblaster X-FI MB installed
previously)

The driver I'm using is "the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.6257 " Realtek calls this R2.55

I downloaded nirsoft's blue screen viewer, there was no bsod and there's nothing in the standard logs.

I saw there's an update available from realtrek, R2.66 I will install this one.

The latest version desyncs on:
ep3-2349.lmp (Ultimate Doom, episode 3)

and:
30uvmax4.lmp (Doom 2). Using default config file, using no -complevel args.

I went back to an older version I had still and the desyncs did not occour.

Mike.Reiner said:

The latest version desyncs on:
ep3-2349.lmp (Ultimate Doom, episode 3)

and:
30uvmax4.lmp (Doom 2). Using default config file, using no -complevel args.

I went back to an older version I had still and the desyncs did not occour.

Thanks. I'll fix it and re-release right now.

2.5.1.3 is released

2.5.1.2 is removed from sf.net because of compatibity issue. Do not use it for demo recording

Well at first i thought it's not important but meh maybe you will be interested, whenever i use BassMidi Windows Driver for playing Soundfonts, Prboom+ always give that "Program stopped working" thing in windows(and thus any config changes are not saved because of it) other than that great work on the port (though the GL rendering is not perfect in some of the custom maps but oh well, at least it's fast compared to other ports). I use the recent one 2.5.1.3 and i use Windows 7 64-bit.

I appreciate the work done on PrBoom+ but I've got a couple of small requests.

Would it be possible for PrBoom+ to have an option to centre in-game messages across the top of the screen as opposed to left justification?

Also, would it be possible to have any key bring up the menu on initial launch of the game? At the moment only ESC brings up the menu while every other key asks if you want to quit. Following on from this; Would it also be possible to allow the Enter key to quit the game as well as the Y key?

A slightly bigger ask: Would you consider adding the option to display item and weapon tags on screen a la ZDoom or Skulltag? I find this a really handy feature in these ports as I tend to use the scroll wheel to change weapons and this makes a big difference in not scrolling past the desired weapon.

I realise these are pretty inane requests and you probably won't implement them but I would really like these small things to 'improve' (obviously subjective here!) the presentation of the game.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: Loving the implementation of the 'scanlines' option. :)

Coolster said:

whenever i use BassMidi Windows Driver for playing Soundfonts, Prboom+ always give that "Program stopped working" thing in windows

You do not need any drivers to play soundfonts. Just enable "fluidsynth" midi player:
snd_midiplayer "fluidsynth"
snd_soundfont "D:\games\Doom2\sf2\Hubbe64.sf2"

I tried BASS MIDI Driver and it works for me at least on my XP with these cfg settings:
snd_midiplayer "portmidi"
snd_mididev "BASSMIDI Driver"

2.5.1.3 gives me a segfault when doing a screenshot. It happens at title screen or in a level. Here's an strace of me loading a PWAD and just hitting the screenshot key: http://pastebin.com/T6vhybBs

I did look into GDB but as I understand, I'd need to compile with debugging flags and dump a core file? Is there some easy way to do this?

Super Jamie said:

2.5.1.3 gives me a segfault when doing a screenshot. It happens at title screen or in a level. Here's an strace of me loading a PWAD and just hitting the screenshot key: http://pastebin.com/T6vhybBs

I did look into GDB but as I understand, I'd need to compile with debugging flags and dump a core file? Is there some easy way to do this?

prboom-plus.cfg?

Super Jamie said:

2.5.1.3 gives me a segfault when doing a screenshot.

That's because you are using GL surface for software mode. Linux LIBPNG code was not updated for this new stuff (Windows does not use LIBPNG for screnshots).

Ah awesome, all fixed now, thanks muchly!

32-bit mode is always smooth for me, even at 1600x1200. But I'll change to 8-bit @ 640x480, just for you :)

Using what hardware? I'm on i5-2500K (3.3Ghz) w/ HD6870 but I recall Windows software mode always performs like crap compared to Linux.

Super Jamie said:

Using what hardware? I'm on i5-2500K

IDRATE

Such resolutions cannot be fast in software mode at least because 1920*1080*4*60 = 500MB/s

Super Jamie said:

I recall Windows software mode always performs like crap compared to Linux