Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Doom source port family tree

VinceDSS said:

1 - If I remember correctly the DOS exe sources were never released. So it's impossible for chocolate doom to come from doom2.exe v1.9. You better ask fraggle about it :)
The only twist I know about this story is that Team TNT may have got a copy of the DOS exe sources for the development of Boom. Although I am not completely sure.

The only real, meaningful (read: once ported back to DOS/Windows) difference between the DOS executables and linuxdoom is the sound code, and maybe a bugfix or two. Still, I would classify Chocolate Doom as a linuxdoom descendant (unless otherwise noted).

And unless I'm horribly mistaken Boom is in no way a descendant of DOS Doom.

HobbsTiger1 said:

The only real, meaningful (read: once ported back to DOS/Windows) difference between the DOS executables and linuxdoom is the sound code, and maybe a bugfix or two.

Bernd Kreimeier (who cleaned up the source for the release) made several changes which are mostly documented in the files README.b, ChangeLog, and TODO from the original linuxdoom-1.10 source release. Most of the changes are bugfixes and to eliminate warnings while compiling, but some look like they were to make it easy to later add GL support and a modular redering system (à la Quake 2). There were enough changes to screw up demo playback for a while, at least.

There's a good summary of this in Quasar's A Slightly Condensed Genealogy of DOOM Source Ports, mentioned way upthread.

And unless I'm horribly mistaken Boom is in no way a descendant of DOS Doom.

The Condensed Genealogy also points out that Carmack gave TeamTNT temporary access to an earlier version of the source in order to correct some of the incompatibilites introduced in 1.10. I can't seem to find any other references on this, though...

CODOR said:
The Condensed Genealogy also points out that Carmack gave TeamTNT temporary access to an earlier version of the source in order to correct some of the incompatibilites introduced in 1.10. I can't seem to find any other references on this, though...

That's something Lee Killough revealed in an open letter once, years ago.

I've worked on a DOOM source port genealogy in the past, but I'm not really updating it anymore, and it didn't get to a publishable state, either. Still, if you're interested, the file's at

http://schneelocke.net/games/doom/porthistory/sourceports.dot.txt

There's probably tons of mistakes in there, not to mention missing information, but maybe it'll be interesting nonetheless. :) It's written for graphviz, but I haven't tried to render it in a while, so it may well contain syntax errors on top of everything else, too. :)

Your work is quite interesting, also if i didn't use the graphview.
I think I'll incorporate it in my genealogy (if you agree)

Lorenzo

Lorenzo said:

Your work is quite interesting, also if i didn't use the graphview.
I think I'll incorporate it in my genealogy (if you agree)

Lorenzo

Sure. :)