Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RjY

The Overdetailed Map Cheat, or, "Let's play guess the map thing"

The Overdetailed Map Cheat is a patch for Prboom that, as you can see, makes the map cheat actually useful! It applies to both the 2.2.6 release and the code currently in Subversion, and would quite probably apply to Prboom+ with some tweaking (I haven't tried this, Prboom+ requires Windows which I don't have)

Installation

The patch is here: http://rjy.ath.cx/stuff/omc.patch.gz

You'll need to be able to build from source to use it; this would involve something like

• tar -zxf prboom-2.2.6.tar.gz && cd prboom-2.2.6
  • zcat ../omc.patch.gz | patch -p0
  • ./configure && make
There is a README.omc included in the patch file, although it's probably inadequate; everybody knows the programmer shouldn't write the manual :)

Also you might like to delete the automap colour settings from your prboom.cfg, the defaults for new colours might not work well with your existing setup.

Screenshots

The first screenshot is from early on in Angus's -fast demo on Hell Revealed II's Playground, and it illustrates one of the advantages of this patch, being the ability to still see what's going on when the player is being forced to hide. Here are some more:

All the weapons at the start of Icon of Sin
LINK TO FULL SIZE IMAGE FOR THOSE WHO VIEW IMAGES AS LINKS

Two secrets in The Waste Tunnels, one visited, one not.

The south-west corner of Computer Station. Note the armour bonus at the far side of the slime lake, which is otherwise almost invisible if you don't know it's there.

An animation from the end of Kama Sutra MAP28, Hard Target, showing the differences when you cycle the mode.

Anyway, enjoy!

2006-02-10 included links to full size images because vbulletin is stupid and strips them if you use an image as a link, as imageshack does with thumbnail images.

I must confess I'm not entirely sure what you mean by reveal. It doesn't appear to be anything in Prboom anyway. Unless of course you mean how is it different from Doom's original map cheat, in which case, mainly that instead of drawing everything as indistinguishable green triangles it draws them in a variety of colours and shapes to identify thing types easily.

"How many options can you fit on one menu screen at once"

2006-02-10 included links to full size images because vbulletin is stupid and strips them if you use an image as a link, as imageshack does with thumbnail images.

I must confess I'm not entirely sure what you mean by reveal.

Sorry, my bad, reveal is a cheat in Doomsday that does the same as the original automap cheat.

Unless of course you mean how is it different from Doom's original map cheat

Yeah thats what I wanted to know. It would be better if you'd just explained what was different and what your patch did. That way you'd probably have gotten a bit more feedback.

I like the idea of this btw. Can you provide a key as to what the different shapes are?