Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaysap

Doomsday - is it a "BOOM port"?

Does Doomsday qualify as a boom compatible engine? I ask because I've been trying to play the 10SECTORS wad, and on some maps things don't seem to be working - walls textured as doors don't open, things of that nature.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Hmm... I used Legacy a few years ago before I used Doomsday, but it doesn't hurt to try other ports.

Ya unfortunately the creator of Jdoom felt a need to spite adding support of BOOM as he wanted to keep his port original to him, and basically supporting all of boom's features, but in his apparently, newer, cleaner format. The downside to this approach is that tons of wads will not work in Jdoom, and may never unless he decides to code boom support in.. which he has stated would make his code messy and buggy.. so he's not electing for that option as far as i know..

Risen3d ftw.

Actually Fusion, it has nothing to do with spite. It is simply a case of a programmer deciding not to add what he considered "bad" code to his project.

When Graham first developed the BOOM support for Boomsday (a hardwired version of Doomsday+jDoom which was the precursor to Risen3D), he offered the code to Skyjake to be integrated back into Doomsday and jDoom. Upon looking at the code it was found that Graham had not made any consideration for the other games that Doomsday supports (Heretic and Hexen at that point) and by integrating Graham's changes it would have had an adverse effect on them. In actuality, most of the code would have to be rewritten. Graham expressed that he was not interested in considering Heretic or Hexen AT ALL and as such, it was decided that it was not in Doomsday's interest to integrate Graham's changes.

After further discussion it was decided that the two should continue on as separate projects. The tracking of Doomsday progress was then dropped from Boomsday and thus Risen3D was born.

Skyjake has never said that he did not want to include support for the BOOM feature set. The problem is that everyone who had offered to code support for it into Doomsday has always taken the approach of simply merging PrBoom and jDoom. This is not a good approach as it would limit the functionality to jDoom and would compromise the support of other games running under Doomsday.

As I am a big fan of various mods which require BOOM support I decided to take on the task of implementing it in Doomsday but doing it such a way that the feature-set was completely integrated with the engine. As I explored the existing 1.8.x series codebase I found numerous issues which prevented tight intergration of the BOOM feature-set. This is one of the reasons behind the new 1.9.x series.

Currently, support for the various BOOM extensions is high on my TODO list for the 1.9.x series of Doomsday and various parts of which have already been implemented. I hope to have a very high level of BOOM compatibility in-place for version 1.9.1