Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

Nice idea, but wouldn't it be unfair (concerning the add-on pack) because one player could get stronger monsters than another player and thus get a better score?

Example:

Player 1 plays E1M8 and gets two Scorpions (the chaingun tanks). 800 HP each. That's 3200 points for killing both of them.
Player 2 plays E1M8 and gets two Bruiser Demons. 1500 HP each. That's 6000 points for killing both of them, nearly twice the points.

Thus, wouldn't it be unfair for player 1? I know Bruisers are harder to kill, but still, player 2 would get more points.

So it's not just down to skill but luck as well. I have no major problem with that. In fact, that kind of spices it up IMO.

I assume that anti-cheat procedures are in place? eg, if I god-mode through e1m3 but play the rest of ep1 honestly (or whatever), ScoreDoom won't try and send my scores?

@pure hellspawn: Scoredoom ensures that 2 players must be playing with exact same wad files and patches as defined in the main hi score wad table. Also in SP, Scoredoom makes sure that when using the addonpack custom monsters and artifacts that the 2 players will see the same monsters and artifacts per level, as long as they are playing on the same skill level. So the 2 players you refer to, will actually see the same enemies on the same level for the same skill level, using the same files. You will want to play on UV obviously for the highest scores.

@Enjay: Yeah, the damage algorithms in doom for example do use randomness, so there is a little luck involved, which I agree is not a bad thing :-)

Yeah I spent a ton of time working on anti-cheat procedures, including ensuring the files on the client are the ones they say they are :-)

In the proper version I plan to have pages where the players can log in and set their passwords, as well as admin screens for the hi score server admin. I also plan to release the server side code so people can set up their own pwd protected hi score servers. I'll also add some more megawads to the 'official' hi score server when I get some time.

My computer actually crashed not long after I released the beta funnily enough, so I need to get some new hardware. Luckily my hard drive is ok.

EDIT: I made some changes to the server php code which scoredoom calls
since there was a bug in the code which handle ultimate doom episode levels. Hopefully this hasnt introduced any problems with sd connecting to the server.

EDIT2: Looks like I have a lot more work to do with anti-cheating and game setting checking!!

The beta has been updated.
There were some major holes in the anti-cheat prevention which have been patched. This version should be close, if not totally anti-cheat using standard doom & zdoom features.

My versions of plutonia and tnt for some reason had different md5 hashes from what they should be (very odd), but the proper md5 hashes have been added to the hi score server, so final doom based hi scoring will show up ok now.

download from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com

You will need the new beta to use online scoring.

ScoreDoom has been updated to support online hi score tables, as well as some other enhancements

For what that means in detail, go to http://www.scoredoom.com
You can download it there as well as view the hi scores tables.

Just a few points when using Online Hi Scoring, and especially if you are getting the annoying purple *online hi scoring disabled* messages:

1. The 'Extra PWADS & Patches' on the main hi score table gives the wad & patch order necessary. If using the add-on pack, it should be in the 'skins' subdirectory. For instance tnt.wad requires the tnt31.wad fix, and HR.wad requires the HRMUS.WAD.

2. The final release versions of all the iwads are used by the hi score server (v1.9). You can check your iwad version with an md5 summer and verifying against this page: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_files

3. md5 checks are done on the pwads too, so you should use a version untampered with, like with all the files.

4. Anti-cheating is much better enforced than with the 2.0betas, and I'm confident that I have stopped any type of cheating when using the many standard zdoom options/functionality/bindings/aliases/cheats. (I've been wrong too many times in the past, so please PM if you are able to find a way to cheat! ;-)

4. The Hi Score Server is configured to auto-add player names it does not recognize. Though the client defaults the password to 'changme', which will be added. To change this on the server, go to http://www.scoredoom.com/player.php Then go to the 'ScoreDoom Setup' menu and change it there. (The doom font doesnt seem to distinguish between upper and lower case letters, so be careful)

5. http://ww.scoredoom.com goes into much more detail into the dos and donts of using Online Hi Scoring with gzscoredoom.

6. The Hi Score Server is configured to auto-add wad configuration hashes to a secondary 'public' hi score table if it doesnt recognize the md5 hash for the wad being sent (potentially due to points 1->3 above where the player thought they were configured ok)

I plan to eventually release the server files so people can run their own private pwd protected servers, after tweaking the html/php/css some more.

Thats about all I can think of. Again, its worth reading http://www.scoredoom.com for more info.

Just a little bit of history with this...
I wanted to implement something like this from the get-go when I started the mod, but due the difficulty of stopping cheating with extremely versatile zdoom engine (and online cheating in general), I decided against it... Until recently when Edward850 suggested I should add this feature, using md5 checking, something I didnt think of.
If it turns to be impossible to stop cheating, allowing people to run their own pwd protected servers with other trusted players hopefully will compensate some ;P

For the scoredoom 1.x thread:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/43533-scoredoom-v1-99r3b/

After some feedback, I've updated to 2.1...
download from the usual url: http://www.scoredoom.com
You will need this version to use online hi scoring. Also you will need the 2.1 add-on pack to post scores for add-on pack levels supported by the hi score server.

This will be my last version for the foreseeable future, due to other responsibilities. I will try and fix any critical bugs, if found though.

I plan to also add more wads to the scoredoom 'official' hi score table. Especially smaller wads with 1 or several maps (like Deus Vult), which I think online hi scoring lends probably itself to better.

Due to time constraints I will probably release the hi score server code 'as is' very soon. It has all the features that I want for my own use. Like I mentioned this will allow private hi score servers to be password protected from untrusted players/cheaters, which is probably the way to go, since its ultimately impossible to stop a dedicated hacker/cheater, unless you pay for ssl certs and add even more encryption etc...

Anyways, sorry for the waffling, here is the list of major changes in 2.1:

Changes in 2.1
Now enforces any dmflags set in a wad level's MAPINFO, if found.
A dialogue box is now shown on first run instructing the player to change their player name & scoredoom online server password.
Refinement of the anti-cheat code, since some people complained:
(i)Toggling the console is allowed now.
(ii)Usage of certain menu options will now *not* disable online hi scoring before the first level is played.
(iii)An extra check for sv_cheats during the game.

AScriptedMarine class is finally fixed (for example, in the Sonic Doom intro, you will now see a proper marine and not a rocket! ;-)
+gennodes 1 is allowed on the command line, which allows levels like Hellfact.wad MAP04 to be played wihout resorting to cheating.
+compatflags is also allowed.

Hi Score Server code has been updated to not post TITLEMAP level scores :-)

updated to 2.2b. This gives much better sd par times for TeamTNT's Return from Oblivion and wads like Eternal.

Get from usual : http://www.scoredoom.com
-------------

Uploaded the hi score server files 'as is' for people interested in running their own private hi score servers (with restrictions: see readme).

After playtesting with online hi scoring, I decided to revert to THE oldskool chain bonuses (+5 minimum instead of +12 minimum) since Doom's inherent randomness can make missing chain bonuses too punishing the way it was in 2.1, which can result in a save-game fest.

Other than that, SD2.2 supports new monsters from Realm 667's beastiary.

download from usual : http://www.scoredoom.com

Updated to SD 2.3.1, emergency patch fix. Grab from usual.
-----

Updated to SD 2.3
Get from the usual place: http://www.scoredoom.com

SD now supports two online modes 'Regular' & 'Hardcore'.
Regular mode is the same as 2.2b, whereas Hardcore mode only allows autosaves... so each level needs to be played from start to finish w.o. any saving allowed to post a score.

The hi score server has separate hi score tables for both modes. 2.2b is still supported by the server.

Taking a hiatus from the mod for the forseeable future, but will eventually get around to fixing any reported bugs ;-)

Release SD 2.4
Alt-Fire attacks added to the chaingun & plasmarifle. Default bindings support this.
Added support for a bunch of new add-on-pack monsters. Add-on-Pack much improved with other tweaks also.
Hi Score server now supports player profiles. (Hi score server files to be released soon for running private servers.)
This will be the final release. grab from http://www.scoredoom.com

I've been having some major slowdown issues occasionally with version 2.4. The entire game will seem to freeze for a few seconds, then play slow for a few more, before going back to normal speed. This only seems to happen when I'm using the chaingun's new alt fire attack. It's not happening often enough to be a major annoyance, I just figured I'd let you know about it.

An update of 2.4 will be out very shortly. I had complaints about the Golem in the add-on-pack being absurdly tough in small spaces, so I put a fix in for that, then ended up adding some more enhancements for better gameplay/scoring.
To stop players hanging around and spawn-camping summoned & resurrected monsters, like lost souls from pain elementals, MAP30 cube-spawned monsters & archvile resurrections, I stopped these monsters from being scoreable. i.e., lost souls by themselves will score, but ones spawned from pain elementals will not be. The addonpack monsters are supported for this too.
I decided to reset the hi score server scores one last time, since this update obviously makes it harder or impossible to post those scores. Also the hi score server will be down until I get all the hashcodes regenerated for addonpack assisted wads. Sorry for this, but this is *honestly*, my last update, and any new hi scores set will remain after this update.

@Dragonsbrethren: Thanks for the info. Hmmn, I had some people test this, but no one else has seen it. My fix for the lag with the double-shotty should of fixed the lag for all weapons. I'm not able to reproduce it, though my machine is a P4 3Ghz w. 6800GT card.

BilboHicks said:

@Dragonsbrethren: Thanks for the info. Hmmn, I had some people test this, but no one else has seen it. My fix for the lag with the double-shotty should of fixed the lag for all weapons. I'm not able to reproduce it, though my machine is a P4 3Ghz w. 6800GT card.

I haven't seen it since I made my post either. I'm starting to wonder if it was just something else running in the background interfering with ScoreDoom. I really have no idea; I can't think of any changes I made to the programs running before or after the slowdown issue.

Release 2.5 (final)
Originally planned as a minor update to 2.4 to fix an addonpack problem, 2.5 has other improvements.
Summoned/Spawned/Resurrected enemies do NOT score points now. This is to stop spawn-camping, and likewise to give the player urgency to take out the summoner.
With the addonpack, extra powerups now spawn in the same place, rather than their placement depending on which order enemies were killed. Its still possible though for powerups to spawn in unreachable locations.
With the addonpack, the custom zombie soldier replacements are improved, and the Golem is toned down.
A few other minor enhancements.
http://www.scoredoom.com

EDIT: Updated 2.5 to fix a major bug which was introduced when not using the addonpack. You will need this for online hi scores.

EDIT2: Updated one more time, since I rushed the last fix :roll:
http://files.filefront.com/gzscoredoom+25r3rar/;13868989;/fileinfo.html

The ADDONPACK needed a critical hotfix to stop spawn-camping, since the imp-trites which are spawned from the Hell Rose didn't have their COUNTKILL flag cleared and would score points.

Additionally:
Large backpacks now increase holding capacity like normal backpacks.
The PyroDemon, ArchonofHell, Bruiser Demon, Thor & HellRose have been made less punishing/frustrating.
A few monsters would only occasionally drop certain items, fixed.

grab the hotfixed addonpack from usual: http://scoredoom.com

Also, I uploaded the hi score server files 'as is' for people wanting to run their own servers.

Release 2.5r4
Fixed a critical bug for offline hi scoring.
Better support for recording and playing demos when using online scoring.
Addonpack has been updated with a couple of gameplay tweaks.
You will need these files to use online hi scoring. Download from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com

I'm planning this to be the last patch for the final release.

Something that I've been wondering about ever since you first started talking about having a final release, will future zdoom monsters that are created ever be incorporated? Is there any way Scoredoom could be made so that people will be able to include new monsters (maybe even powerups?) that are made themselves? I got this idea from what I've heard about Oblige using lua to allow people to customize things, like what monsters can show up for example.

If so many addon monsters weren't overpowered I'd suggest an option to replace all monsters when random monsters was on. Maybe a percentage to replace option?

Anyway I originally came here to tell you about a bug where enemies can get stuck in walls if they're replaced with larger monsters. For example the caco nest in Doom2 map08 would often have monsters stuck because they were too tall/wide. I don't know if that's been fixed since version 2.4.

Hi,
Yes I did consider allowing player customizations for monster replacements at one point, but scratched that in favor of working on other things like online hi scoring. I don't plan on any further development for the mod, since I'm happy with it in its current state, together with a general lack of enthusiasm (I want to play more now :P).
Adding new monsters in the future would potentially mean resetting hi scores for wads with the add-on pack, also I dont see any new monsters being fundamentally different doom-wise, than whats in the pack already.

As far as monsters stuck in walls/ceilings. Even though some custom monsters look bigger than the monsters they replace, all custom monsters are given the same actual dimensions (or less) as the base monster they replace. D2 Map08 seemed ok last time I played, and I havent seen a stuck monster for some time, but I'm sure it occasionally happens.

This is pretty fun, though in a lot of places there's no score at all, unfortunately. I was the first to beat map02 in hardcore mode without addons, for instance.... (hardcore mode is more fun anyways, in my opinion, since constant saveloading kind of breaks the pace of the game even though it makes it easier)

Is there any way to disable jumping, crouching, and vertical thrust (rocket jumping) when doing online scoring, since those are cheats which let you do levels completely out of sequence?

Also, it doesn't seem to register my score when I play on Nightmare mode. I played map01 on Nightmare mode to try and beat the guy who has 3.9k with addons in hardcore mode, and easily got 4.4k due to the double ammo and respawning monsters, but I'm not on the chart. :( Is this intentional? Because it doesn't say it turns off online scoring when I play in Nightmare mode.

Finally, since this is "the final version" of ScoreDOOM, I have a feature suggestion which is probably very easy to implement and most likely does not require a new client, but will greatly help do the initial "filling up" of the high score tables, which will in turn aid its popularity. Every time someone submits a hardcore high score, check whether the non-hardcore high score is lower. If it is, then put in the hardcore high score for the regular score too, since hardcore only adds a restriction to gameplay and no advantages. Once the feature is implemented, let the program run through all the hard-core scores to synchronize the tables. If someone who only does hardcore runs already played the level, then someone who only does regular runs will already have a score to beat, even if a low one!

Thanks for the informative feedback. Glad you are enjoying it. Yes this is meant to be a final release, though I will never say never ;-)
I certainly dont plan on working again on it for quite a while.

The hi score tables were recently wiped since the last version made it harder to beat previous scores, thats why you will see a lot of 0s.

Nightmare mode is not supported, due to respawning monsters. So yep, that is deliberate.
As far as disabling jump/rocket jumping/crouch, well I'm imposing any MAPINFO restrictions (no jumping etc...), like regular zdoom if the wad author added them. Hmmn, as far as wads which don't restrict these features, I guess players which can utilize these modern features deserve a better score? You still have to kill everything etc... to get the hi score. What about wads which require jumping etc... but dont have a MAPINFO lump enforcing it? There is no way to know if the wad requires jumping. So Im cool with this atm.
About transposing hardcore & regular hi scores. Interesting idea.

I'm off on vacation for the next week, so will be able to respond more after that.

@Spleen - If you do those much harder levels in hardcore mode like the last ten levels of Hell Revealed (Especially those last ten main levels and map32), good luck beating them in one try. (Even moreso if you try them with the add-ons.)

gun_psycho said:

@Spleen - If you do those much harder levels in hardcore mode like the last ten levels of Hell Revealed (Especially those last ten main levels and map32), good luck beating them in one try. (Even moreso if you try them with the add-ons.)

I'll just do them on ITYTD (if that's allowed :p).

Ok, am I the only one who thinks the cyber annihilator is a major cheat? (His homing rockets come at you so fast, you barely have any time to react.)

Yep ITYTD is allowed :-)

gun_psycho said:

Ok, am I the only one who thinks the cyber annihilator is a major cheat? (His homing rockets come at you so fast, you barely have any time to react.)

There was some discussion on the zdoom forums about some of the superboss replacements. I would tentatively consider doing some more edits to the addonpack, to make the annihilator etc... less potent, only if the replacements make a map effectively unpassable. I had a problem killing a cyber replacement in congestion 384 with my health & armor stats when I started the level, but was still able to get past the level and still sap some points from it.

BilboHicks said:

Yep ITYTD is allowed :-)

There was some discussion on the zdoom forums about some of the superboss replacements. I would tentatively consider doing some more edits to the addonpack, to make the annihilator etc... less potent, only if the replacements make a map effectively unpassable. I had a problem killing a cyber replacement in congestion 384 with my health & armor stats when I started the level, but was still able to get past the level and still sap some points from it.

2 ideas to make the Cyber missiles more dodgable yet not super easy:
-make the annihilator shoot in a mancubus pattern
-make the annihilator shoot at a random angles

Release 2.6 Beta
New custom monsters can be added dynamically from the ini file.
The rate of extra health/armor and artifact drops, and the rate in which
default monsters get replaced can be altered now from the ini file
(See http://www.scoredoom.com/2.6BETA!readme!.html for how to start to using these
features)
Various bug fixes.
HUD slightly improved to notify when a hi score is beaten, or if in co-op, the current player is in the lead.
Better usage of Bloodbath announcer.

2.6 Beta Add-on pack is also available which tweaks existing monsters as well as adding new ones.
-----------
Any feedback on bugs, or tweaks needed for new (and existing) monsters, in terms of sprite/sound collisions or just gameplay/difficulty would be appreciated. This beta is not compatible with the scoredoom online hi score server.
Download from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com

Busy with real life for the next month or 2, but I plan to have a final 2.6 release sometime thereafter. Then, I plan to do only add-on pack updates.

@spleen: The Annihilator has been toned down :-)

When loading Heretic E1M8 in the current beta on "Thou art a smitemeister" difficulty:

Ironlich at (-512, -896) has no frames
Ironlich at (-384, -1024) has no frames
Ironlich at (-640, -1024) has no frames
Meaning you can't win the episode. This was in 2.5r4 too.

The Green Herring said:

When loading Heretic E1M8 in the current beta on "Thou art a smitemeister" difficulty:

Ironlich at (-512, -896) has no frames
Ironlich at (-384, -1024) has no frames
Ironlich at (-640, -1024) has no frames
Meaning you can't win the episode. This was in 2.5r4 too.

Did this happen on earlier versions? It looks like my build's zdoom code-base was not supporting heretic sprite renaming properly.