Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

My experience with Risen3D

I had no problems using a sound card with these ports but I am suffering from overly slow or overly fast sounds (both pitch and speed) on occasion with the Realtek onboard sound I am using right now.

What can be done to fix this without buying a sound card?

hawkwind said:

Interestingly, all the other Powerups - and Blur/Invulnerability spheres in the manual, change the hue of the screen and have Duration: Time Based. The only powerup that lasts the whole level is the Computer Map, and no change in screen.

Wouldn't it be quite obnoxious if the "red haze" effect lasted the whole level?

Another uniqueness is that for the powerups that change the view palette for their duration, when the power stops, it blinks. The berserk doesn't blink. Instead, it shifts to a different, softer palette, and then shifts back to the normal palette. One could think that this is different enough from the invul, invis, goggles and radsuit to hint that it doesn't behave the same way.

Graf Zahl said:

Argh!

Maybe Risen3d's creator has different views to you about what is a "bug". I mean every port fixes some "bugs".

While some things can be argued about whether they are bugs or not. Like the melee in Doom for instance.

The berserk behavior isn't one of them.

hawkwind said:

I have The Depths of Doom Trilogy. In its manual under Powerups>Berserk Packs it states this ...

"When you become Berserk, your screen will briefly turn red.

Duration: Time Based."

This makes sense, doesn't it ? This is why the option is there in Risen3D to keep the Doom behaviour for the whole level, or for about 30 seconds until the red has gone. Gamers choice.

Doom manual states: (This goes for all copies of the manual I've seen. Both the readme file in the package as well as the printed books that come with the game in the box)

Berserk Packs heal you, plus act as a super-adrenaline rush,
enormously boosting your muscle power. Since you're already
a pretty meaty guy, this enhanced strength lets you tear
ordinary dolts limb from limb, and you can even splatter
those demons without too much trouble. However, you've got
to use your Fist attack to get the benefit of the Berserk
attack bonus. When you become Berserk, your screen will
briefly turn red. Duration: One Level

That coupled with the simple fact that all the other powerups work as long as they are intended, and the berserk never was "fixed" over the one and a half years that they put out updates for Doom never fixed this should serve as an indicator.

Might anyone know the problem I am having in my previous post regarding R3D and Doomsday?

If you have gone from a sound card to an onboard chip, does that imply you have bought a new machine? If so, are you now running a different OS. I know that Vista removed the hardware abstraction layer and Risen3D (and possibly Doomsday) used that. However, I don't have your problem so I can't say what is needed to fix it. (I have run Risen3D under vista and XP with both a Realtek chip and a Creative soundcard in both OSs.)

Oh, and it is a bit obscure but in the Risen3D launcher, you can find the "no models" option by clicking the blue arrow beside the Skills radio buttons. However, that doesn't seem to be Entryway's main problem. A possible source of the problem could be that the desktop settings do not match those in the registry for the monitor. Is the monitor properly registered? Risen3D checks the registry settings to try to avoid people externally setting values that the monitor can't handle.

Enjay said:

If you have gone from a sound card to an onboard chip, does that imply you have bought a new machine? If so, are you now running a different OS. I know that Vista removed the hardware abstraction layer and Risen3D (and possibly Doomsday) used that. However, I don't have your problem so I can't say what is needed to fix it. (I have run Risen3D under vista and XP with both a Realtek chip and a Creative soundcard in both OSs.)

Both systems I used were using Windows XP Home, the old one used a sound card and this new one uses the Realtek onboard sound, which is actually very good on everything except Risen3D and Doomsday with the occasional sped up/slown down in pitch and/or speed of the effects. Music is unaffected by this tho.

Also, both computers run Doomsday at the maximum monitor resolution of 1280x1024x32bpp and I never had sound issues under the old one.

Note this is not the same installation as the old but completely new hardware (CPU, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, video card)

Edit: Mods, feel free to move my posts and Enjay's into a new thread regarding my problem if neccessary as I don't want to hijack entryway's topic.

Gez said:

Something that behaves as described in the manual is not a bug.

Exactly. So it depends on which manual you have. In the Depths of Doom Trilogy 1997 it states that the berserk duration is time based - exhonerating what I stated earlier.

Yet the Doom Manual ( year ? ) apparently states that the Berserk duration is for one level ( which I freely admit is the doom behaviour )

Anyway ........

In this case the evidence at hand should be clear. The original manual describes the behavior as it is implemented. The later one was obviously written by someone who did not know the game and got it wrong.

A 20 sec. Berserk would be close to useless anyway. This is less duration than the invulnerability effect!

Regardless of what the manual states, there are changes a source port should not make and changing explicitly coded behavior of game items is among them. This is a clear case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Obviously having a duration-based Berserk effect as a mapping option is nothing bad, but only if it's not the default.

kristus said:

Doom manual states: (This goes for all copies of the manual I've seen. Both the readme file in the package as well as the printed books that come with the game in the box)

Duration: One Level

<checks several manuals> It appears to be "One Level" in manuals for DOS Doom and "Time Based" in Doom95 manuals. Has anyone checked Berserk Pack behaviour in Doom95 recently?

Enjay said:

However, that doesn't seem to be Entryway's main problem. A possible source of the problem could be that the desktop settings do not match those in the registry for the monitor. Is the monitor properly registered?

Yes, this is the problem. I have "General Monitor" in monitor settings and Hide Unsupported Resolutions is unchecked (this is on the video).

Anyway, SDL_ListModes() in prboom+ enumerates all my modes correctly. GZDoom also has no problems with enumeration.

EnumDisplaySettings() of course works fine too and returns 85Hz instead of 100 for 1024x768x32 and looks like Risen3D has problems with that, because my desktop resolution is 1024x768, but refresh rate is 100Hz.

EnumDisplaySettings output for 1024x768x32:
1024x768: 32 bpp 60 Hz
1024x768: 32 bpp 70 Hz
1024x768: 32 bpp 72 Hz
1024x768: 32 bpp 75 Hz
1024x768: 32 bpp 85 Hz

Similar code can help Risen3D in my case

settings.dmBitsPerPel = video->format->BitsPerPixel;
settings.dmPelsWidth = width;
settings.dmPelsHeight = height;
settings.dmFields = DM_PELSWIDTH | DM_PELSHEIGHT | DM_BITSPERPEL;

if ( width <= (int)SDL_desktop_mode.dmPelsWidth &&
     height <= (int)SDL_desktop_mode.dmPelsHeight )
{
  settings.dmDisplayFrequency = SDL_desktop_mode.dmDisplayFrequency;
  settings.dmFields |= DM_DISPLAYFREQUENCY;
}

changed = (ChangeDisplaySettings(&settings, CDS_FULLSCREEN) == DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL);

if ( !changed && (settings.dmFields & DM_DISPLAYFREQUENCY) )
{
  settings.dmFields &= ~DM_DISPLAYFREQUENCY;
  changed = (ChangeDisplaySettings(&settings, CDS_FULLSCREEN) == DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL);
}

Enjay said:

Risen3D checks the registry settings to try to avoid people externally setting values that the monitor can't handle.

Risen3D just fails with setting the resolution. I do not set refresh rate (is there an ability?) and Risen should use best values from EnumDisplaySettings for used resolution or my desktop values if they are equal. Even 60Hz would be better than nothing

As you saw on the video, even -width 800 -height 600 -bpp 32 -window does not work with strange message about 1024x768.

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  DEVMODE settings;
  settings.dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE);

for (int i = 0; EnumDisplaySettings(NULL, i, &settings); ++i )
  {
    printf("%dx%d: %d bpp %d Hz\n",
      settings.dmPelsWidth, settings.dmPelsHeight,
      settings.dmBitsPerPel, settings.dmDisplayFrequency);
  }
  getchar();
  return 0;
}
800x600: 32 bpp 60 Hz
800x600: 32 bpp 70 Hz
800x600: 32 bpp 72 Hz
800x600: 32 bpp 75 Hz
800x600: 32 bpp 85 Hz

lol @ the video. that was ridiculously funny, and awful @ the same time.

GreyGhost said:

<checks several manuals> It appears to be "One Level" in manuals for DOS Doom and "Time Based" in Doom95 manuals. Has anyone checked Berserk Pack behaviour in Doom95 recently?

I dunno what you mean by Dos/Win95 manuals. All I know is that the paper book you get with the games clearly state "Duration: One level" (Final Doom included) I've yet to come across any manual, readme form or other that disagree with this. But I've also not really looked very hard for it. The paper manual should be sufficient.

kristus said:

I dunno what you mean by Dos/Win95 manuals. All I know is that the paper book you get with the games clearly state "Duration: One level" (Final Doom included) I've yet to come across any manual, readme form or other that disagree with this. But I've also not really looked very hard for it. The paper manual should be sufficient.

The Depths of Doom Trilogy manual is a DOS/Win95 manual for Doom.

Try this and see page 27. It states that the Berserk is time based , not one level.

Interestingly, The Depths of Doom comes with Ultimate Doom. On the disk for this is the file doom.hlp, which states that the Berserk lasts one level. Yes, Final Doom has final.hlp on its disk, which also states one level for the berserk.

How about that !

esselfortium said:

But it's clearly not.

Of course. Anyway, the normal doom behaviour for the Berserk has been reinstated for the next release of Risen3D - for one level and the red just disappearing.

I think the fact that the launcher's open file dialog was full of spaces says it all from the start.

About the whole berserk thing: It'd be stupid to make that last only for half a minute or so. Usually I pick up a berserk in a clean location and then start beating the crap out of things later. And what if I need to switch to the rocket launcher to launch a long-range attack on something that can't be reached in melee? I'd like to be able to use my berserk pack later on.

kristus said:

I suspect someone decided to "correct" what they considered an error in the manual for the Doom95 release and that correction's appeared in most subsequent printings - including the PDF manuals for Doom Collector's Edition.

Hawkwind said:

Interestingly, The Depths of Doom comes with Ultimate Doom. On the disk for this is the file doom.hlp, which states that the Berserk lasts one level. Yes, Final Doom has final.hlp on its disk, which also states one level for the berserk.

It's the same story with doom2.hlp, which also contradicts the Doom 2 (Doom95) re-release manual.

GreyGhost said:

Yep, it's exactly the same as the original, lasts the whole level.

I believe the book that came with Doom 95 (Back in 1995, the Doom 2 box with the Windows logo plastered on it) it said it lasted the duration of the level.

And can anyone convert the video to something else, such as MP4 or DivX?

I can say for certain that the Final Doom copy that comes with Doom95 got it right in it's paper manual.

My Doom 2 for Windows manual is also in error. Being my first legal copy, I sometimes wondered when the Berserk was supposed to wear off.

(1100x825 - 263k)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - the error's also in the id Anthology on-line manual.

(1280x800 - 111k)

So now we all know who to blame - the now defunct GT Interactive, since they made the doom95 manuals, not iD.