Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Source Codes to Cajun Bot 0.98 or 0.99

Anyone know where these are? I can't find them anywhere on the net. If you have it, or even the executables, please post them. Source is preferred.

I have learned that The source code doesn't exist in this form. yoghurt gave the code for 0.99 to Randy Heit to incorporate into zdoom. So, whatever version of zdoom that was, probably would be the best place to look. I have no expertise in doing that.

Vulture said:

Found this in rh-log.txt:

July 9, 1999
- Received the Cajun bot source. Started moving it to ZDoom.

I imagine this would be around the 1.17 era. Source of which can be found here: http://zdoom.org/files/old/

I have the 1.22 ZDoom source. I was just curious if the original source was still available, as ZDoom seems to have lost any notion of or reference to the bots' ability to follow player-generated nodes.

Also, any clarification on the licensing status of the code would be helpful. Can I assume that this code is usable under the 3-clause BSD license?

Quasar said:

Also, any clarification on the licensing status of the code would be helpful. Can I assume that this code is usable under the 3-clause BSD license?

There's no specific license indicated in the header, so presumably the ZDoom license applies. It seems the "Terry" and "Yoghurt" original authors of the (Z)Cajun bot were not especially concerned with license issues and just wanted to see it used by source ports, hence their porting it to DOSDoom (and thus, Legacy) and sending it to Randy Heit for inclusion in ZDoom. Since they aren't around anymore...

Gez said:

There's no specific license indicated in the header, so presumably the ZDoom license applies. It seems the "Terry" and "Yoghurt" original authors of the (Z)Cajun bot were not especially concerned with license issues and just wanted to see it used by source ports, hence their porting it to DOSDoom (and thus, Legacy) and sending it to Randy Heit for inclusion in ZDoom. Since they aren't around anymore...

Right. I don't see how they can allow its distribution in one port under an open and free license and deny it to any other. So I'm probably going to go ahead and integrate them into EE, as I want some meatsacks to fire at in deathmatch maps. I intend to try my hand at making them a bit smarter too.

I figure I'll throw them in right after edf-branch gets merged with trunk, and then release, hopefully before the end of April. With your requested mouse button fix of course (just so you know I have not forgotten again :P ).

Quasar said:

So I'm probably going to go ahead and integrate them into EE, as I want some meatsacks to fire at in deathmatch maps.

How easy would it be to get them to navigate portals, though?

Edward850 said:

How easy would it be to get them to navigate portals, though?

I somehow doubt this is even being considered until, at the least, monsters know how to navigate them, after which point it could potentially be possible.

esselfortium said:

I somehow doubt this is even being considered until, at the least, monsters know how to navigate them, after which point it could potentially be possible.

It'll be an interesting problem, that's for sure :P

The Cajun Bot source code was made for Legacy IIRC. Legacy later incorporated it into their port. And since it was originally made for it, it should be pretty much unchanged in Legacy's source package.

kristus said:

The Cajun Bot source code was made for Legacy IIRC. Legacy later incorporated it into their port. And since it was originally made for it, it should be pretty much unchanged in Legacy's source package.

Except I was under the impression that bots haven't worked in Legacy for ages, similar to how they are now broken in ZDoom. Do you know a version which had them working? I don't want to use anything as reference material that is essentially broken. There are already a lot of bug fixes in the ZDoom 1.22 source that I need to take into account, so anything older is only going to be secondary material at best, though.

Last time I tried them (in a post-2.4.1 personal SVN build), they were working in ZDoom. They're just a bit complicated to set up; but it's explained here. While they are not supported, if they were truly broken, then they'd get removed from the code entirely. They do work, they're just not able to adapt to most modding features supported by ZDoom, such as, say, custom weapons...

Gez said:

Last time I tried them (in a post-2.4.1 personal SVN build), they were working in ZDoom. They're just a bit complicated to set up; but it's explained here. While they are not supported, if they were truly broken, then they'd get removed from the code entirely. They do work, they're just not able to adapt to most modding features supported by ZDoom, such as, say, custom weapons...

I was told by a couple of people that they malfunction as soon as you change levels, via not having their internal state reset somehow. I have not verified this personally, however.

I use the Zdoom Cajun bots quite a bit for multi-level DMing and they work much as I would expect them to (ie, they work but are a bit stupid - like they always have been). They even work quite happily with custom weapons.

I can't comment on coop though other than to say I have heard people say they are broken.

The original cajunbots (0.98j) were far from stupid. I have the original dos executable somewhere on my old laptop hard drive. Maybe I should upload it.

Quasar said:

Except I was under the impression that bots haven't worked in Legacy for ages,

I dunno where you got that from. They're working just fine. Just bring down the consol and write "addbot" and it'll spawn a bot for you. Works in DM and Coop.

kristus said:

I dunno where you got that from. They're working just fine. Just bring down the consol and write "addbot" and it'll spawn a bot for you. Works in DM and Coop.

Mainly from people talking about them in the past tense. As in "I liked it back when Legacy had the bots." :)

That makes sense. Though I suppose they are referring to Legacy rather than the bots themselves. :)

Quasar said:

Thanks but I am only interested in the CajunBot code base. I cannot combine several bots and get anything cohesive out of it.

Why Cajun bots anyway?

GhostlyDeath said:

Why Cajun bots anyway?

More like why not. I think they are the most complete and well-rounded bot for DOOM that is open source, and I have the most familiarity with the way they work. They're not brilliant, but they work, and that's what's important ultimately. I already have a few ideas on how they might be able to be improved over their current incarnation.

Quasar said:

I think they are the most complete and well-rounded bot for DOOM that is open source

More complete and well-rounded than even the Skulltag 97c2 bot? And no, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I'd just like to hear an honest opinion from someone who has actually studied both of these two Doom bots.

Skulltag is not GPL, although maybe they would relicense just the bot code if you ask.

david_a said:

Skulltag is not GPL, although maybe they would relicense just the bot code if you ask.

Not only is the compiler for Skulltag Botscript not working at the moment, but it is also based on ACC. And wasn't ACC never released as GPL?

david_a said:

Skulltag is not GPL, but the ZDoom license code can be used in GPL projects (the other way around isn't true).