Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Flip

Chocolate Doom not using GS Wavetable synth for MIDI's

So, I decided to play some Chocolate Doom for a bit, but noticed I had OPL emulation activated, so I go to change it back to Native MIDI.

Despite having my default MIDI Driver as Microsoft GS Wavetable synth, it plays music sounding exactly identical to the Gravis Ultrasound.

I thought it was Timidity's doing, so I tested out Zdoom running on Timidity++ and the Timidity++ MIDI Driver, both of them sound a lot different from what was playing on Chocolate Doom, so Timidity is probably not the cause of this.

Is there any way to make Chocolate Doom play MIDI's through my default MIDI driver rather then some GUS emulation that it's using?

I"m amazed this may be the first person that actually likes GS Wavetable Synth.

check your midi output in control panel/sound and other audio devices.

Csonicgo said:

check your midi output in control panel/sound and other audio devices.

I don't exactly "like it" per se, I usually enable it to give more of a retro feel, as it is what I was used to as a child on my old Win95.

Anywho, I did check my Default MIDI device, it is indeed set to GS Wavetable synth, I even confirmed this by opening up an MIDI in Windows Media Player.

And may I remind you, that the music chocolate doom has been playing sounds different then Timidity++, so that rules out the chances of it overriding the default MIDI synthesizer for this computer.

Never_Again said:

Timidity(++), Timidity for ZDoom and the Timidity++ driver are all different things. If the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth device sounds like GUS, it is because Timidity is overriding it.
Check the choco-opl, the Windoze and the root directories for timidity.cfg; rename them to timidity.cf_; report back.

Quote order reversed to emphasize growth of probabilities over widening statistical spread.

Here's the thing, I've been able to hear the GS wavetable synth in the past up until now, I haven't modified Timidity++, my default MIDI driver, or anything MIDI related.

Super Flip said:

Here's the thing, I've been able to hear the GS wavetable synth in the past up until now, I haven't modified Timidity++, my default MIDI driver, or anything MIDI related.

whoa, really? that really puts a WTF into the mix.

I really don't know how to fix this one. Chocodoom doesn't even have GUS emulation.

Check for the config files anyway, see if that fixes it. Anything playing MIDI using SDL Mixer will load and use configs from those directories. You can safely keep a timidity.cfg in ZDoom's directory since it won't check there, unless you happen to be running both ports from the same directory.

Csonicgo said:

Why wouldn't anyone like it? At least in XP and later it doesn't sound bad at all. Much better than OPL emulation on any metal or rock tracks anyway, and different Timidity sound banks are only good for songs specifically made for them (or vice versa, banks are only good for songs they are made for). The GS wavetable on the other hand is pretty damn universal.

Yes I agree GS Wavetable synth is prety good considering that GM.DLS is only 3.28Mb. This set is old from Roland SCC-1 I think and came with DirectMusic in 96.
I add that GS Wavetable synth is Much faster than Timidity. However Pepole usualy prefer their sound card's MIDIs or YMF262 for Vanilla.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Check for the config files anyway, see if that fixes it. Anything playing MIDI using SDL Mixer will load and use configs from those directories. You can safely keep a timidity.cfg in ZDoom's directory since it won't check there, unless you happen to be running both ports from the same directory.

Keeping this in mind, I temporarily removed timidity.cfg from my Timidity++ folder.
Checked chocolate doom and it played good ol GS wavetable synth again.

The thing that confuses me is how the Timidty++ in c:/timidity sounds different then the Timidity++ coming from Chocolate Doom, in the scenario that Chocolate Doom sounds more GUS-ish.

Anywho, thank you all for the help.