Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Doom in true colour [ testers for exe welcome/src snapshot/links updated ]
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 5 [6]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:41. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Maes
I like big butts!

kb1 said:
I'm just not familiar enough with HSV to understand it's benefits over RGB, which, would seem to me to be easier to code (but I have no idea what it would look like.) Can you explain the difference in terms of drawbacks/benefits? Thanks.

I will attempt an explanation first...the benefits of HSV are that it's easier to produce luminosity, hue and color saturation effects by changing only one component instead of 3.

On the other hand, it's harder to do certain effects like color mixing and transparency in HSV (it's easier in RGB). Every color space is good at some tasks and poor at others.

I'm not sure if the sprites & textures are all in HSV mode, however the final rendering to the user's screen must be in RGB as this is what video cards undertand, so in the end any processing advantages in HSV space are nullified. Also, for certain effects, there are HSV -> RGB -> HSV conversions going on. Correct so far, _bruce_ ?

Old Post 09-20-12 00:41 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_
Doomed Member

kb1 said:

_bruce_, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, man - that's a shame.
I had a question for you: Why did you choose HSV instead of, say, RGB? I'm not critisizing, it seems to work really well, and it looks great! I'm just not familiar enough with HSV to understand it's benefits over RGB, which, would seem to me to be easier to code (but I have no idea what it would look like.) Can you explain the difference in terms of drawbacks/benefits? Thanks.

Thx.
Well, basically I had to use HSV for reasons Maes summed up nicely. I have to chuckle on how naive I was when trying to "colorize" the stuff on screen.
I remember, shortly after having mode 3 running in HSV, sadly realizing that it was
1. too slow
2. the colorization was perfect BUT the original colors got lost so something that got blue-ified was then blue to the core.

-So to get rid of slowdown I'm converting all artwork to HSV on startup(doesn't even take long on a Celeron366) and keeping it in memory - so we have the 8bit palettized stuff hollering to the neighboring memblocks were the HSV high flyers are residing.
Additionally I tweaked the conversion from HSV to RGB as much as I could via fixed point and look up tables for divisions.

-To remedy the color issue I just blend a colorized version with an original one - which yields the highest quality output.
The only visual thing I have to re/add is transparent 2sided linedefs. They're disabled because of speed - this one needs a different approach.

-Momentarily I'm working on the mini editor so that one can add color info via a visual interface and that's a tough cookie with my caveman math senses, though I'll get it done so that all this stuff has a little bit of real world value.

Take care and inhale the Hue

http://i.imgur.com/NzREl.png

Last edited by _bruce_ on 09-24-12 at 13:59

Old Post 09-24-12 00:56 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

_bruce_ said:
[Limits]
All render limits have been increased partially due to increase of visplane usage in extended mode.

What limits exactly and to what have they been increased to? Obviously visplanes have been increased but how about, drawsegs, vissprites, ect?

Old Post 03-16-13 00:47 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Sorry for the bump, but has any progress been made on this? The link in the OP is also dead.

Old Post 07-22-13 10:25 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vulture

Marnetmar said:
Sorry for the bump, but has any progress been made on this? The link in the OP is also dead.

You might be interested to know that Odamex has a truecolor renderer (that also uncaps the framerate) in development.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72213361/32vs8.png

It is not choco, but pretty close :)

Old Post 07-27-13 01:13 #
Vulture is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

You're cheating, NUTS uses a new palette that makes things look more pale. :)

Old Post 07-27-13 03:16 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vulture

Memfis said:
You're cheating, NUTS uses a new palette that makes things look more pale. :)

Huh! I had no clue until you posted that and I opened it up in Slade to see for myself. Regardless, I think you get the point of the screenshot. But just in case you don't, have a few more: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...38562007&type=1

Old Post 07-27-13 04:19 #
Vulture is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Vulture said:

You might be interested to know that Odamex has a truecolor renderer (that also uncaps the framerate) in development.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72213361/32vs8.png

It is not choco, but pretty close :)

Awesome, but...

...Can you re-upload the exe pretty pretty please with cherries on top? :3

Old Post 07-31-13 07:50 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Marnetmar said:
...Can you re-upload the exe pretty pretty please with cherries on top?
Here's the source + binary package I saved: doomnx-20120912.tar.gz (5.45 MB)

Old Post 07-31-13 18:41 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_
Doomed Member

Marnetmar said:

[ Links updated ]

Marnetmar - thanks for reminding me... these things tend to rot.
Usc - thanks for providing a link

This has been on halt for quite a long time but will be finished... though it could take quite some time.
I've yet to finish the 15bpp/555 version and then re approach my take on this whole thing in a slightly more efficient way.

Concerning the source...
-VS2005 + YASM required(MASM purged since YASM supports higher SIMD versions)
-the open GL scaler works but is severly outdated and unnecessarily complicated/the version I did for Choco+ is way more elegant
-determining compilation of sw/gl .exe is dependent on 'config.h/#undef GL_BACKEND'... this has also been resolved in Choco+
-transparency is disabled by default due to slowdown in colored mode
-close but no cigar

-reupload tomorrow on another host/THX for reminding me

-trying the HSL instead of the HSV color model... I'm fighting a little bit with accuracy I think +4 error per color per RGB->HSL->RGB conversion is still negligible as long as the result is worth it. The HSL color model kinda supports "overbrighting" which I'm trying to use for enhancing the color range. Though you can't go too far or your colors wash out since full "lightness" means all white - imagine a fog type situation. Currently there's a slight grey'd out effect going on which I'll have to look into. On the "brighter" side the range from dark to light is even more dynamic than before.

http://i.imgur.com/PXKtthL.png

http://i.imgur.com/0CTJyEm.png

http://i.imgur.com/hRWzMnr.png

http://i.imgur.com/gXo2xQq.png

Last edited by _bruce_ on 03-15-14 at 22:19

Old Post 08-13-13 15:09 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NightFright

Mirror for both engine and source/dev kit.

Rapidshare mirror

*EDIT Oct 19, 2013*
Link updated.

Last edited by NightFright on 10-19-13 at 10:50

Old Post 10-10-13 15:30 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

NightFright said:
I created a mirror for those who do not want to install TinyDM
You don't need to use that crap, just click the filename to the right of "Download:" at the top.

_bruce_ said:
[Source Link/Pass]
http://speedy.sh/C5Jrj/Doomtest.sou...5-08.13.2013.7z

Not found. Anyone have a mirror they could upload, please?

Last edited by Urban Space Cowboy on 10-14-13 at 21:05

Old Post 10-14-13 19:39 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NightFright

My link above has been updated. _bruce_ has also reuploaded all files in the meantime, so enjoy. ^^

Old Post 10-19-13 10:50 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote