Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Chocolate Doom - Mirrored Levels?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mike.Reiner

I believe as an April Fool's gag, Fraggle released a version of Chocolate Doom that mirrored all the levels. Whatever happened to that?

I know it might sound silly, but that is the sort of thing I would love to have available as an option.

Old Post 02-19-12 03:44 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

that was Subversion r1109.

Old Post 02-19-12 03:58 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I think it's possible to do this in Doom Builder...

Last edited by printz on 02-20-12 at 00:00

Old Post 02-19-12 08:55 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

It'd take a while to mirror /idgames - community project anyone? :-)

Old Post 02-19-12 09:35 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mike.Reiner

chungy said:
that was Subversion r1109.

Thanks!

Old Post 02-19-12 19:06 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

To answer your original question, it was a one-off thing that I never intended to keep in as a feature. The way it was implemented was a hack that is incompatible with some of the other changes I made later (it changes the lump data read from WADs).

The change itself is pretty simple - several things are swapped and negated so you end up with everything reversed and the BSP tree is correct. It would certainly be neat to see it turned into a command line tool.

Old Post 02-19-12 19:36 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sgtcrispy
Forum Regular

ha ha that's cool. :)

Old Post 02-19-12 21:33 #
sgtcrispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez

fraggle said:
The change itself is pretty simple - several things are swapped and negated so you end up with everything reversed and the BSP tree is correct. It would certainly be neat to see it turned into a command line tool.

Judging from how messed up the exit door is, a more complete change would also need to address the texture offsets. And maybe the patch format should be read mirrored too, as well as texture composition. ;)

Old Post 02-19-12 22:53 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

As I remember, I tried to fix it up a bit, but yeah, to work properly it needs to be mirrored at the texture or patch level.

Old Post 02-19-12 22:59 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

There's no reason for the exit door to get misaligned like that. The linedef lengths all remain the same. The only things misplaced will be the left/right texture variants of the exit door jambs or BRNBIGL/R etc.

Last edited by printz on 02-20-12 at 00:00

Old Post 02-19-12 23:11 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

A mirrored map mode would actually be kind of nice although such a thing would be more suited to a racing game.

Old Post 02-22-12 04:58 #
Avoozl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

That's the most amusing gag hack I've ever seen. It's enough of a mindfuck that it gave me a headache just watching that vid. :D

Old Post 02-24-12 19:17 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

Why not just reverse the renderer, leaving the map data alone? :P Make it draw columns starting from the right edge of the framebuffer instead of the left ;)

Old Post 02-24-12 20:50 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez

You'd have to invert left-right controls as well.

Old Post 02-24-12 20:52 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DaniJ

Exactly, it simply wouldn't work. Not to mention the audio would be wrong. Mirroring the map geometry is far easier and can be externalized to a utility script.

Old Post 02-24-12 20:58 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

Reverse the controls and the audio, then. What else is left after that?

Old Post 02-25-12 00:42 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
neubejiita
Forum Regular

You can mirror maps with the warm nodebuilder.

You type warm -flip my.wad but the nodes need to be built first for this to work properly.

Old Post 02-25-12 12:41 #
neubejiita is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote