Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Glowing texture in GZDoom like in this pic
 
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12


Hi to all doom maniacs, I'm making GZDoom as beautiful as possible, I have models, high res status bar, remixed music, high res fonts and menu, new sounds, high res textures. 2 things are left to reach perfection, but I don't know if are possible. Here's an example of what I want to install:

http://i39.tinypic.com/fkcoyr.jpg

If possible, how to make it?

Old Post 02-20-12 17:42 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 10712
Registered: 07-07


Sorry, only floors and ceilings can innately glow. There's no diffuse glow implemented for walls.

You could fake it to some extent by adding colored pointlight objects in the maps, but if you're just trying to make some sort of replacement resource pack you will not want to edit all the maps...

Old Post 02-20-12 18:18 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12



Gez said:
Sorry, only floors and ceilings can innately glow. There's no diffuse glow implemented for walls.

You could fake it to some extent by adding colored pointlight objects in the maps, but if you're just trying to make some sort of replacement resource pack you will not want to edit all the maps...



Edit all the maps! Oh no :)

Old Post 02-20-12 19:21 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!


Posts: 11795
Registered: 07-06



DoomQuaker said:
Edit all the maps! Oh no :)


Well, there once was this guy here who wanted to convert all IWADs to ZDoom/Hexen format "because it was more flexible", so nothing would surprise me at this point....

Old Post 02-20-12 19:34 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
david_a


Posts: 1389
Registered: 09-02


I rebuilt the REJECT tables on the IWADs "because it would be faster" and forgot about it, then wondered why demos would always de-sync when I tried viewing some.

Old Post 02-20-12 22:06 #
david_a is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Edward850
Member


Posts: 389
Registered: 08-07


It's closer than you think.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1150300/ima...%5Bthumb%5D.png
It's actually Map02 from Doom2. With a poor looking 'hi-res' texture pack.

Last edited by Edward850 on 02-21-12 at 06:23

Old Post 02-21-12 06:18 #
Edward850 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12



Edward850 said:
It's closer than you think.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1150300/ima...%5Bthumb%5D.png
It's actually Map02 from Doom2. With a poor looking 'hi-res' texture pack.



Ehm, what's that? To me seems classic vanilla Doom 2, I don't see nothing different

Old Post 03-04-12 23:31 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
Forum Staple


Posts: 2477
Registered: 04-07



DoomQuaker said:http://i39.tinypic.com/fkcoyr.jpgIf possible, how to make it? [/B]

No offense, but those hires textures and exaggerated glowing look terrible.

Old Post 03-05-12 00:25 #
Sodaholic is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Edward850
Member


Posts: 389
Registered: 08-07



DoomQuaker said:


Ehm, what's that? To me seems classic vanilla Doom 2, I don't see nothing different


My post is now out of context. I was responding to someone whose posts seem to have been removed.

Old Post 03-05-12 02:24 #
Edward850 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12


Oh ok, understood :)

Old Post 03-06-12 01:17 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12



Sodaholic said:

No offense, but those hires textures and exaggerated glowing look terrible.



I know, but with less glow they will look very good Imo. DoomRemake was cool but in some aspects was exagerated, it seems that they put light bulbs in every texture

Old Post 03-06-12 11:00 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 7628
Registered: 01-03



DoomQuaker said:


I know, but with less glow they will look very good Imo.




I think you are very alone with that opinion. ;)

Old Post 03-06-12 13:16 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[PROTOTYPE]
Well it's obvious I haven't learned anything.


Posts: 390
Registered: 03-12


Why does it seem that everyone here hates Graf Zahl?At least to me,it seems like that.This is the 4th post where someone says something negative about him.I think he deserves some respect.After all,HE created ZDoom.

Old Post 03-06-12 13:48 #
[PROTOTYPE] is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT


Posts: 8552
Registered: 06-06


You're confusing Graf Zahl with Randy Heit (the one who actually created ZDoom). Randy doesn't post here.

__________________
Automatic Wolfenstein - Version 1.0

Old Post 03-06-12 14:37 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil
Senior Member


Posts: 1638
Registered: 03-04



Graf Zahl said:



I think you are very alone with that opinion. ;)



Wall/flat based dynamic lights, like all visual effects can greatly enhance a map if done well.

For instance, I'd like to think I placed them well when I did Corr7TC: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...en-invasion-tc/

In the screenshot the OP of this thread posted though, they look awful.

Last edited by Vermil on 03-06-12 at 16:49

Old Post 03-06-12 16:42 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Porsche Monty
Member


Posts: 454
Registered: 06-10


That was Graf Zahl's diplomatic way of saying it looks like shit.

__________________
Pirates are nothing but trash. Be a good citizen and support SOPA/PIPA.

Old Post 03-06-12 16:48 #
Porsche Monty is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 7628
Registered: 01-03



Vermil said:


Wall/flat based dynamic lights, like all visual effects can greatly enhance a map if done well.




The operating term being 'if done well'.

Automatically plastering on the stock textures for some cheap eye candy does not count as being done 'well'.

The screenshots in your link are an entirely different matter. Using lights like that cannot be compared to using a hires texture pack plus some cheap 'enhancement' effects added on top of it.

Some 'modern style' mods like Legacy of Suffering had an insane amount of work invested into the lighting and look amazing. (which in the case of LoS didn't help much. Great visuals, ugh...tastic rest.)

Old Post 03-06-12 19:07 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
wesleyjohnson
Forum Regular


Posts: 939
Registered: 04-09


From my own past experience ...
A new effect gets implemented, it then gets toned down to near 10% of its original intensity, upon which it nearly disappears.
If any effect remains and it does not get entirely nulled out, then there is endless reconsideration, discussion, and wondering if it was worth it. If it is distracting to play, then once the novelty wears off , it gets turned off and forgotten. It is usually that way because the original Doom did a pretty decent job on the balance of effects and play.
The biggest avenue for improvement being where processing power limitations prevented some effects from being implemented, such as decent water.

In Sauerbraten they did a neon world, and I would not recommend it as a good look. Interesting, like fighting in downtown Tokyo, but tiring.
When everything is like that it kills the novelty of any special items, and everything becomes difficult to see and visually distinguish.
You can feel the relief when you go back to a normal appearing world.

Old Post 03-08-12 14:43 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rampancy
Green Marine


Posts: 34
Registered: 03-12


Hello everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I will make a good impression and not get anyone annoyed at me :)

I myself use gzdoom every day and what I would suggest to DoomQuaker is that you would use gzdooms texture scaling option along with a great (imho) package called sbrightmaps.pk3 which is available here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

This will not work well with a hires texture pack, only with the original textures. however you can combine it with gzdooms hq4x scaling feature to achieve something that is nice looking and also have a nice lighting effect. it is not exactly the same thing, but i like it and use it.

As far as "glowing" is concerned, I have created a custom gldefs file for my install and quite like it. An earlier post on this thread mentions that this effect is not implemented for walls and I have noticed this myself. Since I am not very skilled I would like to ask, is this due to a technical limitation or the authors schedule/preferences?

As a side note, I have been playing through Jenesis (awesome wad!) and noticed that the author has managed to get his lava and yellowstuff walls to appear fullbright. I am only familiar with adding fullbright with the gldefs file, and as we have determined this does not work on walls so I am curious if this can be achieved on the default textures as well.

Regarding fullbright via gldefs, it seems that any sprites that are located on a fullbright floor texture are automatically fullbright themselves. Is there a way around this, or is this just how it is?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I try to teach myself but it is overwhelming sometimes because I know very little about these things. But Doom is great and so I like to try.

Also, since I saw Graf Zahl post on this thread, I would just like to say hello and thank you. Your port is number one for me and I enjoy your work very much.

And thanks to anyone who can answer my silly questions.

Old Post 03-28-12 07:32 #
rampancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 10712
Registered: 07-07



rampancy said:
As a side note, I have been playing through Jenesis (awesome wad!) and noticed that the author has managed to get his lava and yellowstuff walls to appear fullbright. I am only familiar with adding fullbright with the gldefs file, and as we have determined this does not work on walls so I am curious if this can be achieved on the default textures as well.

I suppose he simply made their sector with a light level of 255.

Old Post 03-28-12 14:09 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rampancy
Green Marine


Posts: 34
Registered: 03-12


I see. I need to learn how to map. I doubt I would make anything better than what is already available but I would have a better understanding of what I am looking at. Thanks.

Old Post 03-28-12 19:39 #
rampancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_
Doomed Member


Posts: 1210
Registered: 11-07


Hahahaha - cheesy as fuck.

Old Post 03-28-12 19:44 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12



rampancy said:
Hello everyone! This is my first post here so I hope I will make a good impression and not get anyone annoyed at me :)

I myself use gzdoom every day and what I would suggest to DoomQuaker is that you would use gzdooms texture scaling option along with a great (imho) package called sbrightmaps.pk3 which is available here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

This will not work well with a hires texture pack, only with the original textures. however you can combine it with gzdooms hq4x scaling feature to achieve something that is nice looking and also have a nice lighting effect. it is not exactly the same thing, but i like it and use it.

As far as "glowing" is concerned, I have created a custom gldefs file for my install and quite like it. An earlier post on this thread mentions that this effect is not implemented for walls and I have noticed this myself. Since I am not very skilled I would like to ask, is this due to a technical limitation or the authors schedule/preferences?

As a side note, I have been playing through Jenesis (awesome wad!) and noticed that the author has managed to get his lava and yellowstuff walls to appear fullbright. I am only familiar with adding fullbright with the gldefs file, and as we have determined this does not work on walls so I am curious if this can be achieved on the default textures as well.

Regarding fullbright via gldefs, it seems that any sprites that are located on a fullbright floor texture are automatically fullbright themselves. Is there a way around this, or is this just how it is?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I try to teach myself but it is overwhelming sometimes because I know very little about these things. But Doom is great and so I like to try.

Also, since I saw Graf Zahl post on this thread, I would just like to say hello and thank you. Your port is number one for me and I enjoy your work very much.

And thanks to anyone who can answer my silly questions.




Thanks for the file. Anyway I've learned how to do brightmaps, and done a few for HighRes Textures (models for me are not so important, but HD Textures are almost a MUST)

Old Post 03-31-12 13:30 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Retog
Member


Posts: 487
Registered: 03-12


The glowing texture looks very nice.

Old Post 04-02-12 13:52 #
Retog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12


I'm finishing the brightmaps for GZDoom High Resolution Textures, only the flats are left. This is my very first doom add on (not counting the hilarious collage made with various wads when I was 9-10 years old, ehehe)

Old Post 04-06-12 00:24 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pagb
Mini-Member


Posts: 53
Registered: 10-02


https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip

Seems to be down for good. Anyone kind enough to reupload it? Thanks!

Old Post 07-07-12 16:53 #
pagb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 64
Registered: 02-12


I need a reupload of that file too please, that's the best brightmaps available

Old Post 08-12-12 13:15 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
 
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Glowing texture in GZDoom like in this pic

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Message Board Statistics