Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > decent computer to run todays' source ports?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
invictius

I have a corei7 system and an aging dual core with a cheapo ati radeon (barely better than integrated graphics) that I end up using most of the time for zdoom and risen3d, which runs both really well, despite the fact that it's not set up to be a gaming rig. It's only when 3d models and high-res textures come into the story that I start to see slowdowns. Now I know that something like nuts.wad with 3d models would not run even on the fastest computer in the world, but what is a ballpark figure for what kind of system you really need when using textures and models? The risen3d page isn't all that helpful, just says you should have over 256mb video ram for textures and models.

Old Post 07-26-12 17:12 #
invictius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

It seems to me that all you need to upgrade is your video card. BUT I always love building new rigs. If that is what you are looking to do just stick with i7 and the rest should be pretty simple.

Old Post 07-26-12 17:27 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

The CPU is the dominant factor in most ports, as the rendering is only half the work, actually, so you should be fine. Now, if you crank the effects to eleven and play nuts.wad with light source fireballs or some GZDoom specific mod with tons of effects....then a fast video card would help, too. Otherwise, you'll mostly do just fine.

Old Post 07-26-12 17:35 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

If you want to use an OpenGL renderer, try to get an Nvidia rather than an ATI (or worse, Intel) since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.

Old Post 07-26-12 18:56 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ
Forum Staple

...and consequently, most developers working on hardware rendered source ports choose NVidia for their dev systems.

Old Post 07-26-12 19:04 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

1 Ghz cpu should be enough.

Old Post 07-26-12 19:25 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GhostlyDeath
Forum Retard

Gez said:
If you want to use an OpenGL renderer, try to get an Nvidia rather than an ATI (or worse, Intel) since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.

Or you can use the open source Gallium3D ATI drivers on Linux and Windows.

DaniJ said:
...and consequently, most developers working on hardware rendered source ports choose NVidia for their dev systems.

When I start doing any OpenGL work, all my systems run either ATI or integrated Intel chips.

Old Post 07-27-12 12:50 #
GhostlyDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

GhostlyDeath said:
When I start doing any OpenGL work, all my systems run either ATI or integrated Intel chips.

INFIDEL!!!

Old Post 07-27-12 15:37 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Gez said:
since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.
What a dick move.

Old Post 07-27-12 16:23 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Porsche Monty

_bruce_ said:
1 Ghz cpu should be enough.

You'd be surprised how much 1ghz would limit your Dooming on modern software-based engines these days, mostly if we're talking massive, high-detail, FX-ridden user maps.

There's a lot more going on than just graphics, and the CPU has to cope with it all.

Not long ago I started using "use_libsamplerate 5" with Chocolate Doom, which adds like 15 extra seconds to the startup process for doom2.wad alone, and that's on a P4 3.8ghz. You do the math.

Old Post 07-29-12 18:58 #
Porsche Monty is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote