Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

GZDoom - simple question

Hi!
I am currently switching from ZDoom to GZDoom for some little mapping projects. When I watch videos of GZDoom, it always has this great lightning effects of the weapons and torches and sometimes extended blood effects. Now when I start GZDoom for Heretic, I notice nothing of this. I notive the OpenGl rendering but there is no special colored lightning for weapon efffects or anything like that...
What did I do wrong? Or is there an external package you have to install to get these? I checked the Opengl options in Gzdoom and it said that dynamic lights were enabled but it just looks normal.
Thank you!

GZDoom has the light definitions in lights.pk3, but this file is not autoloaded by default. You have to start GZDoom once to create the .ini file and then add it to the autoload section of the games you want it to be loaded with.

Ahh Thanks alot! It works, at least the lights! I've already changed them a bit, great stuff! :) But what do I have to do edit the opengl 3d bloodpools? They seem to show up very rarely?

Ahh, I found a way to edit them by just changing the scaling in the decldefs lump ;)

Now what I fiond strange is that GZDoom only displays those effects (blood, etc) only on walls and not on flats or floors... why is this so? And is there a way to change it?

Fenriswolf said:

Now what I fiond strange is that GZDoom only displays those effects (blood, etc) only on walls and not on flats or floors... why is this so? And is there a way to change it?

On the ZDoom forum Graf Zahl said:

Flats are drawn differently than walls and to make matters worse, in a way that knows nothing about shape. So with the available information it's not easy to get a decal clipped properly. Rendering it is even more problematic.

In short: won't happen!

That was with respect to ZDoom rather than GZDoom but there have been no moves to add them to GZDoom either (though I believe it is technically easier in an OpenGL engine). The only way to do it ATM is to fake the effect by making some flat models and have them appear on the floor/ceiling but that has limitations and is prone to breaking too.

The main problem, even with GL is clipping the decals to the sector shape.

This also needs quite different kinds of data to be maintained at the play engine level and I'm not going to alter that code.

Graf Zahl said:

The main problem, even with GL is clipping the decals to the sector shape.

This also needs quite different kinds of data to be maintained at the play engine level and I'm not going to alter that code.

As far as I know, Doomsday can display such effects even on the floor, but i might be wrong. Nevertheless, GZDoom is the better engine for me, and I will stick with it ;) But if there would be the possibility to add this feature one day, it would make the best source port around the perfect source port, imo...